Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners (Updated 10/30)

For what it is worth, I find that playing more than 4 players (unless really experienced and eager) just slows the game down too much.

Recently, I have begun introducing the game in quick 1v1 games (often two maps on a single large table), and players seem to like that. (Team play helps a bit to make non-active players feel more involved, btw.)

My goal is to try to get as many players actively playing as possible, even if that means I sit out to be able to help watch over several simultaneous games.

Enjoy the intros! Spread the HS virus .
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:13 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggable Zombie View Post
LHS,
Thank you SO much for this. I have just gotten into the game myself and am introducing it to a couple of friends this weekend. I don't know enough about the game to explain it off the cuff, and these cheat-sheets are perfect for them to have.

Speaking of which- and whether this is the right place to ask, I'm not sure, but I sure as heck am not going to start another thread with this question:

How many players do you all recommend for a game? Is 6 too many?
I am glad that you like the card . You will see that this site offers many more great resources, basically everything you need to know about the game.

I agree with 1Mmirg, that is playing with 4 already slows the game down. A way to resolve that is to play team 2 vs. 2. I have played a game with 6 individual players before, and the problem is the first one who got eliminated had to wait a long time until another player got eliminated so that they could start a new game, and their game actually finished before the main game. I also played a team game 2 vs. 2 vs. 2, and that went much better than 6 individuals, but still took a lot of time.

If you have 6 players and do not want to play team, I would suggest to play a mini tournament. We do that a lot. 6 players into 3 random pairs for the first round. Rank each person after each round and pair people up according to the rank (1 vs. 2, 3 vs. 4, 5 vs. 6). After 3 rounds, you will have either one person who wins all (3-0), or several who win 2 game (2-1). Then you can have play-off game, champion game or anything you want. The time would be the same, but mini-tournament is way more fun than a game of 6.

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:02 PM

Plordigian is surprisingly tart

These cheat sheets are excellent. I won't turn so many new players away by yelling at them for asking the same question over and over again! JK (I ask a lot of questions myself!)

I agree that the mini tournament is much better than all at once. Shorter games really appeal to casual gamers; isn't that one of the main draws of our game in the first place? It sounds cool to build a huge map with every kind of terrain, and should be tried at least once by everyone, but you just can't beat a quick one-on-one 300 point match.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper View Post
Recently, our playgroup has recruited quite a few new players. We sometimes end up with 2 experienced players with 4-5 beginners. And of course they don't usually show up at the same time for us to go over the rule for all of them.
So I have created a brief card and put in it the most important things to play the game. It's size is half of the standard letter size. I searched and realized that someone have had the same idea, but I believe the size is the letter size. The half size may be handy and economic, especially when you want to introduce the game to a large group of people (which will happen to us on next Wednesday). After a short explanation, they can just grab one brief card and start the game. Of course, there are more subtle rules, but they can ask experienced players when those cases arise. I also include a dice chart showing the chance to inflict a wound. Again, for new player, it may be useful.
Please let me know if I missed something important, or if the information is not accurate, or anything that should be changed. Your criticism is welcome here! I will create a PDF file that you can print front and back, then cut in halves to have 2 brief cards after hearing from your comments. Thanks again for your help!

Link to the high resolution, 2-sided PDF file

Front:

Back:

Here are some other versions of the card with different backgrounds.
i find your table very useful.
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:36 AM

Dino5 is surprisingly tart

Any chance for an updated version of this that includes the DnD pieces? I realize they won't fit as is, but it'd be nice to include them.
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM

Marro Divider #4 is surprisingly tart

Yeah, I'm with Dino5. I'd like to see DnD

Tournament record 3-0

Check out my Customs
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:00 PM

Pepex82 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper View Post
Recently, our playgroup has recruited quite a few new players. .....me other versions of the card with different backgrounds.
Noob Question: is snow always heavy snow, and is ice always slippery ice?

Also it would be great if you could include some of the heights, ruins 6, castle wall 10, battlement 2/3. ?

maybe summary of all the glyphs too.

This is great and will be printing it for sure!

Thanks.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepex82 View Post
Noob Question: is snow always heavy snow, and is ice always slippery ice?
No, it is declared in the scenario or at the start of the game.
Old July 11th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Count me among the people who find this thing really useful and would love to see D&D added.

Looking for a way to get casual players involved in Heroscape? Do your opponents lack the interest or knowledge to build/draft their own armies? If so, check out Project 500!
Old November 21st, 2010, 07:56 PM

Talos is surprisingly tart

I'd like to chime in and add a request for LongHS to add the D&D terrain to his already excellent reference cards. I still keep one handy at the table to jog my memory from time to time.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Talos

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
- George Carlin
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:05 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos View Post
I'd like to chime in and add a request for LongHS to add the D&D terrain to his already excellent reference cards. I still keep one handy at the table to jog my memory from time to time.

Thanks!
A PM to the good Dr. LongHSer might be appropriate, then. <smile>
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:18 PM

77SweeneyMan Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
For what it is worth, I find that playing more than 4 players (unless really experienced and eager) just slows the game down too much.

Recently, I have begun introducing the game in quick 1v1 games (often two maps on a single large table), and players seem to like that. (Team play helps a bit to make non-active players feel more involved, btw.)

My goal is to try to get as many players actively playing as possible, even if that means I sit out to be able to help watch over several simultaneous games.

Enjoy the intros! Spread the HS virus .

that's great, i have noticed that as well when more players joins the game it slows down

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion