Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old August 5th, 2010, 10:19 AM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker
Brandis Skyhunter: what army would YOU build for him?

Now I know what you are thinking, that this is a blatant rip off of the well known...

Base a Competitive Army Around Competition

However this is not a competition and Chimpy hasn't posted for over a year.

I'd really prefer to put it as a suggestion in his thread, but I don't see it actually being acted upon.

So all I would like to see is your opinions: no winners or losers.

Remember your army may have any combination of units as long as Brandis Skyhunter is included in it. In addition, the army's point value must not exceed 500 points.

CRC
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Brandis Skyhunter: what army would YOU build for him?

Whenever I see this type of thread, I always like for the OP to toss out an idea of their own to get things started. If you do more of these, I'd recommend using Chimpy's Title Format and having an army of your own.

I can't remember who it was... Deadeye Dan perhaps? But we had a figure before where it was pointed out that you didn't build an army around that figure, you slipped the figure into an army that they had synergy with and also had the right amount of points free. I think Brandis is another figure where he can fill a role for 90 points, but isn't ever going to be the driving component of a 500 pointish army.

Having said all that, I like:

2xSentinels 220
Atlaga 90
Brandis 90
Kozuke Samurai 100
500/11

Sentinels are really tough to kill but they lack a killer punch and can really flounder against Raelin-backed armies. Brandis is a good solution for attacking Raelin from behind the lines. The Kozuke can pound high defense melee figures pretty well (KoW, etc). Atlaga speeds up the Sentinels, offers the Witherwood threat and serves as a good clean up unit.

~Aldin, half-elvishly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Brandis is a single-attacking unique hero without any explicit synergy. Most people bring this up to point out that he is a weak unit but a hodge-podge army that doesn't have explicit synergy but works well as a unit is my favourite sort.

Here's my first thought:

Brandis: 90
Nakitas: 120
Major Q10: 150
Rats x3:120
Total: 480pts, 18 hexes.

Q10 is good for squads and has a special attack; the Nakitas are versatile and give a useful defensive boost; the rats are the perfect screen.

Less orthodox:

Brandis: 90
Syvarris: 100
Marrden Hounds x3: 270
Total: 460pts, 20 hexes.

The hounds get out front to cause problems, Syvarris snipes from long-range and Brandis goes after any suitable targets that emerge.
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:37 PM

Cratos is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

2 of my kids (11 and 13) absolutely love Brandis, based primarily on his sculpt. One themed army I always seem to be facing is:

Brandis
Syvarris
Sonlen
Aubrien Archers x1 (would be 2 if I had 2 of them)
and 80 pts. of whatever strikes their fancy that day.

Although I keep trying to get them to add something to use as a screen, ratsx2 (which I do have) would be great.
Old August 5th, 2010, 01:53 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

If I must , I would use him specifically for Raelin, although I would not hesitate to shoot at a Dragon or 2 . . .

150 Mimring
140 Phantom Knights x 2
90 Brandis
80 Raelin
40 Theracus

Get to height/glyphs first. Mimring snipes from extreme range; PKs screen Mimring and Brandis and try to get first strike at incoming units; Brandis goes after his usual suspects.
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:07 PM

Bahde knows what's in an order marker Bahde knows what's in an order marker

Monks x3
Drake 2.0
Brandis

500 points

Or...

Brandis
Nakita
Raelin 1.0
PK x3

500 points

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion