Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old May 11th, 2010, 09:06 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyScaper View Post
Still reading The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer. A lot of blood in this book.

Posting to ask this, with low expectations:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Want's to be reading A Dance With Dragons. Hurry up GRRM!
Any word?
I wish! He has not updated his site in a couple of years as far as I can tell.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM

pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker

I finished "Guns of the Timberlands" by Louis L'Amour today at lunch. It was a good quick read even if it was a little predictable. I think next I'll start "God of Tarot" by Piers Anthony. Either that or reread some Lovecraft.
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
Well, I found out the The Giver has two sequels.

Off to the library.
They are not 'sequels' but very loosly related stories about other utopian communities in the same world. I don't remember if there is a timeline or if they occur at the same time, it doesn't matter much though because the connection between the books if very tenuous. They were also quite enjoyable but do not compare with The Giver. I would also recommend Number the Stars by Lowrey, probably her best book although I probably enjoyed The Giver a little more because of my bias towards utopian fiction. In any case I highly recommend it.
What happened to Gabriel (the baby) at the end of The Giver? I don't remember any mention of him in Messenger, even though he survives with Jonas.

If you like utopian fiction I'd highly recommend This Perfect Day by Ira Levin.

Christ, Marx, Wood, and Wei,
Led us to this perfect day ...

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin is also good, although I found it to be a little dry. It inspired 1984 by George Orwell.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Still reading The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer. A lot of blood in this book.

Quote:
Any word?

He updates his blog quite regulalry though (The "Not a Blog" link on his webpage). He lets us know from time to time when he's made progress, but still no projected date in site.

Have you guys read his Dunk and Egg stories? He just released a third one of those that can be found in the Warriors anothology. If you haven't read them, I highly suggest you do, as they are a good holdover while you wait. They are short novellas, set in the Song of Ice and Fire Universe, about 70 (I think, maybe less) years before the events of A Game of Thrones. The books are full of relatives of ASOIAF characters, and I can't say enough good things about them.
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:47 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Train View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Any word?

He updates his blog quite regulalry though (The "Not a Blog" link on his webpage). He lets us know from time to time when he's made progress, but still no projected date in site.

Have you guys read his Dunk and Egg stories? He just released a third one of those that can be found in the Warriors anothology. If you haven't read them, I highly suggest you do, as they are a good holdover while you wait. They are short novellas, set in the Song of Ice and Fire Universe, about 70 (I think, maybe less) years before the events of A Game of Thrones. The books are full of relatives of ASOIAF characters, and I can't say enough good things about them.
I have not, but thank you. I will see if I can find them.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Any word?

I'm reading "A Game of Thrones" now (about halfway through it) and am so far unimpressed. It reads more like a soap opera than I was ever expecting. I have yet to find a character that i really like, altho Ned and Arya are the best so far.

While there's a lot of loose ends, there's so far no real point to it all. What's the purpose of any of it? Save Robert and his kingdom? Why? He's a drunk idiot that deserves what he's about to get. Defeat the Lannisters? Ned doesn't want the kingdom, so why not let them have it?

Maybe once the Dothraki show up things will be put right... Ned may team with Dany and put the Lannisters in their place. I can only hope...

And I get this feeling that "the others" will make these petty issues between egotistical men moot once the winter hits..

I think a better name would be "As the Westeros Turns"...

Never trust kids when they ask "Hey dad, can I borrow the car???"
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaethon View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Any word?

I'm reading "A Game of Thrones" now (about halfway through it) and am so far unimpressed. It reads more like a soap opera than I was ever expecting. I have yet to find a character that i really like, altho Ned and Arya are the best so far.

While there's a lot of loose ends, there's so far no real point to it all. What's the purpose of any of it? Save Robert and his kingdom? Why? He's a drunk idiot that deserves what he's about to get. Defeat the Lannisters? Ned doesn't want the kingdom, so why not let them have it?

Maybe once the Dothraki show up things will be put right... Ned may team with Dany and put the Lannisters in their place. I can only hope...

And I get this feeling that "the others" will make these petty issues between egotistical men moot once the winter hits..

Trust me, do not assume you know how the story is going to go. There are twists galore in those books.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It is very soap opera like, and I think you are far too early into it to judge yet. However, even when I was as far as you are, I was completely immersed in the book. Despite the fact that there are battles and war, I would not consider this an action book by any means. The details, and story are the focus, and this may turn off some readers.
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Hmm, soap opera like? I never seen it like that. I just see it as writing at it's best. GRRM can **** you off and make you like it. That takes talent.

Old May 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaethon View Post

You don't have to like it, obviously.

But don't think for a second you know where it's going to go.

Happy reading!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I will return to GRRM's Game of Thrones when he finishes it.

~Aldin, encouraging Sanderson to hurry up the post-mortem Jordan material

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Battle Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
I will return to GRRM's Game of Thrones when he finishes it.

~Aldin, encouraging Sanderson to hurry up the post-mortem Jordan material
Then I am honestly starting to believe, you will never return to it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books