Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 6th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Creating High Quality Cards - Fonts Revisited

Back in 2007, @GreyOwl scanned some cards and twiddled with options to try to determine what were the correct font settings for cards. I haven't found any updates around here to those specificatons--perhaps there are, but thought it would be good to do an independent investigation using the higher quality Wave 9 images Hasbro released in 2009, instead of scans. Why? It should result in more accurate results, and using the best specs you can find will result in much better (and more authentic) looking cards. It's kind of a big deal. Really.

Lots of notes are in spoilers because I can't help myself. Feel free to skip any of them. They're mostly unnecessary detail. Follow these specs and your cards will look better than using selecting fonts, weights, and sizes that are just somewhat close (e.g., Arial Narrow and such). Exact placement matters too but I haven't documented that here.
Spoiler Alert!

Unlike the cards GreyOwl examined, I found no evidence of fonts being stretched for W9. Some areas did have the letter spacing expanded or condensed, which some call kerning. In those cases, in the specs below, + means expand and - means contract.

Wave 9 Text Specifications
I think all waves after W9 appear to use these same specs, but haven't examined them in detail. Sizes and spacings accurate to about 1/200th of an inch.

Figure name
Helvetica Neue Heavy Condensed (87). 10.25pt. White (#FFFFFF). All caps. For multi-line names, line spacing is 1.03 (?). One card in W9 had too long of a name (Axegrinders) and the size was dropped to 9.6pt.

Faction/General Name
Helvetica Neue Medium Condensed (67). 7.0pt. #FFFFFF. All caps.

Left Box (Species, Class, Personality, Unique/Common, Hero/Squad)
Helvetica Neue Bold Condensed (77). 7.0pt. #FFFFFF. All caps. Letter spacing is typically natural, but is condensed as needed to fit the text. "COMMON SQUAD" for example, uses about a -0.18pt spacing.

Size and Height
Helvetica Neue Bold Condensed (77). 10.0pt. #FFFFFF. All caps.
Spoiler Alert!

Move, Range, Attack, Defense - the labels ( <-- those words )
Helvetica Neue Bold (75). 10.0pt. #D5D8D7. Letter spacing +1.0pt. All caps.
Spoiler Alert!

Move, Range, Attack, Defense - the values (numbers)
Helvetica Neue Bold (75). 12.0pt. #D5D8D7.

Move, Range, Attack, Defense - labels below the numbers
Helvetica Neue Medium Condensed (67). 6pt. #D5D8D7. Letter spacing +0.1pt. All caps.

Points Value
Helvetica Neue Bold (75). 12.0pt. #FFFFFF, except on Jandar which is #121212.
Spoiler Alert!

Points Label (the word "points")
Helvetica Neue Medium Condensed (67). 6.0pt. All caps. #FFFFFF, except on Jandar which is #121212.

Life Value
Helvetica Neue Bold (75). 12.0pt. #FFFFFF

Life Label (the word "life")
Helvetica Neue Bold Condensed (77). 7.0pt. #D5D8D7. All caps. Letter spacing +0.1pt.

Special Ability Name
Helvetica Neue Bold Condensed (77). 8.0pt. #121212. All caps. Letter spacing -0.08pt. line spacing 1.1.

Font size and even line spacing are decreased as needed to make special ability text fit. The smallest in W9 is the repulsors with a size of 6.25pt (and less than 1.05 spacing).

Special Ability Text
Helvetica Neue Condensed (57). Font size is always 0.70pt smaller than the Special Ability Name size used on the card, so 7.3pt down to 5.55pt for Wave 9. #121212. Letter-spacing nominally +0.18pt, but sometimes reduced as low as +0.15pt to fit more text on card. Line spacing is somewhat irregular, between 1.15 and 1.17 (can change from ability-to-ability on the same card), which I think is just an unnoticed error in their templates. Line spacing is also not consistently adjusted correctly when the font size is reduced to fit more text, sometimes leading to large values (e.g., numbers as high 1.4).

Spoiler Alert!

I haven't finished with my investigation the Basic side. I've got the fonts, weights, colors, and sizes figured out. I just have to double-check letter-spacing values.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards