Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:58 AM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun
The Book of Varkaanan Greyspears

The Book of Varkaanan Greyspears

C3V Wave 4 - Aquilla's Answer - Spears and Claws

Printer-Friendly PDF
Basic Side Card:
Spoiler Alert!

The figure used for this unit are Confrontation figures from the Wolfen of Yllia set. They are available in the Wolfen of Yllia Hunters Unit Box (4 figures) or the Confrontation Starter Set (4 figures). The name of the figure is Wolfen Hunters.

Character Bio: A spear is thrown and an orc falls to the ground, dead. This was a common sight on the planet of Grut, the world previously home to the Varkaanan Greyspears. The Greyspears are skilled at tracking their prey, leaving no stone unturned. And, once their quarry is found, they hurl their spears with pinpoint accuracy.

Like all of the Varkaanan Unique Squads, the Greyspears have the Wolf Pack special power. The Varkaanan howl at the moon, for the hunt has begun, and the forces of evil will finally feel fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special powers
WOLF PACK
After revealing an Order Marker on the Varkaanan Greyspears' card, before taking that turn with the Greyspears, you may choose one other Unique Wolf Army Card you control and take a turn with it. You may not attack with more figures from the chosen Army Card than the number of destroyed Varkaanan Greyspears on this card.

TRACKING
While moving, the Varkaanan Greyspears may add 2 to their Move number. If they do, the Varkaanan Greyspears cannot attack this turn.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • TRACKING : incomplete squad
    Q. :
    Can I use Tracking with just a part of my squad of Greyspears, while the others can attack this turn?
    A. : No. You must choose...if you use Tracking, even if only one Greyspears benefits from this bonus, none of them can attack.
  • WOLF PACK : How many attacks ?
    Q. :
    When using the Varkaanan Greyspears' Wolf Pack to take a turn with another Unique Wolf Squad, if a Greyspear is destroyed during that other squad's turn (for example, by Dying Swipe), am I then able to attack with an additional member of the other Unique Wolf Squad?
    A. : Yes. You may attack with a number of figures equal to the number of destroyed Varkaanan Greyspears, even if one or more (or even all) of those Swiftfangs was destroyed during the other Unique Wolf Squad's turn. Contrariwise, if one or more Greyspears are revived during the other Unique Wolf Squad's turn (e.g., by the Glyph of Sturla), that will decrease the number of remaining attacks you may make.

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits OfferedSynergy Benefits Received
  • ARKTOS : HUNTER ATTACK ENHANCEMENT
    As Hunter figures, Varkaanan Greyspears adjacent to Arktos may receive an additional attack die.

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
- TBA

Power Ranking & Master Index
The engine that makes the Vark build go. A-

Unit Strategy Review- TBA

Bunch of useful resources (army cards,
blanks, online databases & more..!)
French Forum's admin.

Last edited by superfrog; January 22nd, 2019 at 02:46 PM. Reason: switched Quickbaldes to Greyspears on the first power.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Varkaanan Greyspears

Are figures that you sit considered destroyed?

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:38 AM

Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby!

Short answer: No.

I asked the same question in the Question Dump about Marro Warriors and Zombies, and I was told no. Yet me find that...
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That's what I thought, but thought it might be worth a try.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:24 PM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun

Just to be clear... sit = that you can't use because of the startzone limitations?

French Forum's admin.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:45 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieLoche View Post
Just to be clear... sit = that you can't use because of the startzone limitations?
Correct.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 05:42 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Ah ha! You're gonna sit a Vark?!

120 Bahadur
120 Darkclaws
110 Greyspears
95 Arktos
445, 8 spaces, drop a Greyspear.

Last edited by kolakoski; August 22nd, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old December 8th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker

I just got to try out some of the Varkaanans for the first time in my last couple games.
The first was with my wife in a 600 point match.

She was using:
190 – Quahon
080 – Fyorlag Spiders x2
210 – Charos
120 – Greenscales x2

My army was:
095 – Arktos
110 – Varkaanan Greyspears
120 – Varkaanan Darkclaws
105 – Van Nessing
050 – Marro Warriors
120 – something else, can’t remember

Bottom line, the dice gods were against me and it was a massacre from my wife’s side. Quahon and the spiders obliterated most of the Varkaanan’s all on their own. I had a mental image of the werewolves trying to kill giant spiders that just kept running around between their legs before biting a wolf once to kill it. Quahon killing two out of three Darkclaws in her first lightning bolt attack didn’t help either. Once Quahon finally went down, my wife moved out Charos and the Greenscales and steamrolled through what I had left, despite my Marro Warriors cloning incessantly (even while being out of the water).

The second game was much more balanced and a lot more suspenseful.
I played a 625 point match against my friend Rennix.

His army was Deathwalker themed with:
130 – Deathcommander Mk3
140 – Deathwalker 9000
090 – Warden 816
195 – Zettian Infantry x3
070 – Zettian Guards

My army was Werewolf themed:
095 – Arktos
110 – Varkaanan Greyspears
120 – Varkaanan Darkclaws
075 – Khosumet the Darklord
225 – Anubian Wolves x3

This game was intense, I had very little range with only Arktos and the Greyspears not being melee vs an entirely ranged army (with multiple special attacks). That said I learned some things from my first match against my wife and I kept the Greyspears in reserve for cleanup. I moved out with the Anubians and the Darkclaws (bonding with either Arktos or Khosumet). The Darkclaws and Anubians were a potent front line with their 4 defense and high attacks. Despite this, it was tough to break the Deathwalker army’s momentum.

Rennix started out dominating the game by taking out wolves like crazy and using his infantry to keep my wolves from getting within striking distance of his Deathwalkers and their special attacks. Only when he started to run out of Zettian Infantry did he have a problem (though he did manage to take out two of my unactivated Greyspears with a single explosion attack from DW 9000). The game ended with Warden 816 and 1 Zettian Guard up against Khosumet, 1 Greyspear, and 1 Anubian. The greyspear (bonding with Khosumet) managed to take out the Warden and my 1 remaining Anubian rolled a 19 for unleashed fury before moving adjacent to Khosumet to attack the last Zettian with 10 attack dice! (I only got 3 skulls, but the dice roll was still epic). The Zettian fell after only rolling 2 shields, ending the game. Rennix and I both conceded that the game could have gone either way based on how well we’d both played it, a VERY close and FUN match.

I think the Varkaanans are a really fun core to have in your army and I’ve already ordered the other two hero figures and the Quickblades to add to my army for additional synergies. I was also pleasantly surprised how well their Wolf Pack power worked with Khosumet in a pinch. Unfortunately he doesn’t offer them any bonuses since none of them are Relentless but being able to use him as a cheap blocking figure to protect my last Greyspear was critical at the end of my game with Rennix. I can’t wait to play these guys again with a few more options.

Sincerely,
~Zealot

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?
Old September 27th, 2014, 03:11 AM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

TRACKING : incomplete squad
Q. : Can I use Traking with just a part of my squad of Greyspears, while the others can attack this turn?

Typo in the clarifications section of the book.

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old September 29th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Marcel Marceau

Corrected, thanks.

(A mention would have been useful @William099 .

French Forum's admin.
Old September 29th, 2014, 06:27 PM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sorry keep forgetting we have those now. lol

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old January 21st, 2015, 09:54 PM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I just got these guys. I have to say, the miniatures themselves are great. So much so that I didn't mind getting 5 of them, and not getting a sculpt for Arktos in my set. I'm really looking forward to playing them, they seem like a really fun way to get a 4 man unique ranged squad, boosted by Arktos who tags along with them and picks up the slack should one of the fall. I will make sure to post after playing them.

@DanieLoche In the OP, the link to the PDF does not work. I'm getting this message:

Quote:
vBulletin Message
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
Not sure if I should contact an admin, and do what vBulletin wants me to, but I figured I should post this in here first?

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs