Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: How do you pick armies for a casual home game?
We draft and counter draft armies right before playing! 16 42.11%
Double blind, like many tournaments. 15 39.47%
Everybody just picks their favorite army. 22 57.89%
You pick from a single General or theme... 8 21.05%
Other: Please Explain! 9 23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 28th, 2012, 09:58 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Casual Play Formats?

How do you play at home? Do you play scenarios with drafted armies, competitive head to head with each player picking armies beforehand, with drafting, or some other style?

We mostly play one on one matches here, with people picking armies some time during the week, or playing their favorites because army building takes so long.
Old October 28th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Casual Play Formats?

In general we'll play any ol' random way. Drafting, pre-building armies, using randomly determined armies, scenarios, and playing with "Random Draft" formats.

Of course, we usually means me, myself, and I anymore but that doesn't mean I cant get the occasional opponent.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 28th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Your wish is my command, Chief Underpants Eater

ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

We normally draft our armies at the same time. Often swapping units or heroes as we find synergy and bonding. Most of the time we have an idea going in of what we want. But it almost always translates to "you take that stack of cards and I'll take this stack" we look through and trade stacks. Picking as we go. Rarely do we fight over a single design. Even in larger Game night play we just kind of pick at random what we like. Trading as we need to.

“Have you ever hoped for something? And held out for it against all the odds? Until everything you did was ridiculous? "
Old October 28th, 2012, 10:26 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

All of the above.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:41 PM

bradtato knows what's in an order marker bradtato knows what's in an order marker

It really depends on how many people are playing. My playgroup consists of a decent number of people, but only two of us own figures and terrain. If it's just the two of us, we throw a map together, then agree on a point total, and build out of our own stuff. If anyone else joins, we do a draft. Roll for initiative, highest picks first, then next highest, and so on until everyone has picked an army card. Once everyone has picked, roll again and repeat until everyone has met the agreed point standard.

I want to get the trading card-sized cards printed and sleeved so that we can do what's essentially a booster draft, like Magic: The Gathering tournaments. Everyone is given a certain amount of booster packs, which contain a certain number of cards. Everyone then picks one card from that booster, and passes the remaining cards around the table. Pick one card from your new booster, and pass, until the first wave of boosters has been picked completely. Begin the second wave, only this time pass them the other way around the table. It's exactly as time-consuming as it sounds, but allows for a much more strategic build, and encourages hate-drafting. If your first pack has a powerhouse like Cyprien, and you don't want your opponent(s) to have him, hate-draft him.
Old October 29th, 2012, 01:43 AM
...lest we all lose that 3rd turn mystery

The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I have never drafted an army. I normally build a few and have friends pick which they want to use.

Be polite: Don't put politics or religion in your signature!
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:34 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I have played all of the above at different times. My gaming group rotates between different methods depending on how much time we have to play, how many people are there, which people are there, etc.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:37 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibechief View Post
We normally draft our armies at the same time. Often swapping units or heroes as we find synergy and bonding. Most of the time we have an idea going in of what we want. But it almost always translates to "you take that stack of cards and I'll take this stack" we look through and trade stacks. Picking as we go. Rarely do we fight over a single design. Even in larger Game night play we just kind of pick at random what we like. Trading as we need to.
Pretty much this!
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:44 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

We seldom play 1-on-1, and we play any of these 2 formats...

1. select any army we want and either royal rumble or tag team.
2. select any hero/es and do a role playing style with a dungeon master.
Old October 29th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Your wish is my command, Chief Underpants Eater

ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwDriver View Post

I think he was referencing more along the lines of how you pick your figures and not how you play with them.

I do like the Idea of RP for Heroscape though. Might have to try that with SuperHeroScape.

“Have you ever hoped for something? And held out for it against all the odds? Until everything you did was ridiculous? "
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:16 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

We tend to chose armies by generals (or theme) as a group and then randomly assign armies by rolling dice.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; October 29th, 2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: More a combination of above rather than a single choice.
Old October 29th, 2012, 09:29 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibechief View Post
Quote:

I think he was referencing more along the lines of how you pick your figures and not how you play with them.

I do like the Idea of RP for Heroscape though. Might have to try that with SuperHeroScape.
Well...
Quote:
They fall under...
"Everybody just picks their favorite army." and "Other: Please Explain!"

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion