Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 24th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Warzones of Valhalla Discussion Thread

I'm signed up to go to my 2d multiplayer event. The first was 300 points; this one will be 360, but with only 12 start zone hexes.

A tournament round should last about an hour. For myself, and I read Eirikr to say he prefers otherwise, I would rather have a 5 round event with smaller armies than a 3 round event with bigger ones. It gives the TD more of an opportunity to develop the final rankings and it gives the players more of an opportunity to mix with each other.

That's just my , though, and only because you asked.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:26 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I'm signed up to go to my 2d multiplayer event. The first was 300 points; this one will be 360, but with only 12 start zone hexes.

A tournament round should last about an hour. For myself, and I read Eirikr to say he prefers otherwise, I would rather have a 5 round event with smaller armies than a 3 round event with bigger ones. It gives the TD more of an opportunity to develop the final rankings and it gives the players more of an opportunity to mix with each other.

That's just my , though, and only because you asked.
I agree 100% that if you want to have a competitive tournament environment for your event you need to have more rounds of play in a relativelys short period of time in order to develop a final rankings that has real meaning. All these things need to be considered.

I am presently working on a 3 player map with these things in mind. It will have a 24 hex start zone but it is an easy matter to scale down the start zones to suit your competition. What is more important for the build is that it has a relatively fast playing time and take up a little less space then say my More Ways to Die map. I will submit it if I feel I have achieved this in a fun, balanced map.

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:40 PM

InfraredFog knows what's in an order marker InfraredFog knows what's in an order marker

personwholives makes sense to me. Honestly I think the start zone size could be reconsidered. Yes, all BoV maps are tourney-worthy for the style of tournaments they use, but I don't think that all WoV maps need to be tournament-worthy for only one specific type of tournament. 24 hex start zones might be a bit of a hurdle when you're trying to keep terrain requirements to a minimum, yet create a map for more than two players. I haven't built enough maps to know how much it inhibits map making, but it could be that way.
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

Agentdex told me he's resigning... Disappointing to lose a judge so early.
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:03 AM

odbo255 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapemage921 View Post
We are currently voting on:

1) To induct InfraredFog

2) To withdraw AgentDex

3) To change our process so only 3 reviews are required before we vote for induction
1. Yes
2. Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwholives View Post
As much as it would be good to be able to move forward on maps sooner, I think that the current 4 reviews is probably better then 3. With 4 reviews, that means that we need some play experience and comments from only half of our members. While 3 is admittedly not a huge change, it's still a smaller pool of experiences to form opinions on.
3. Agreed. No

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
I'd like to see a rule that says we can't have more than 3 more 4-player maps than 3-player maps up for review at the same time.
We already have challenges keeping enough maps in the pipeline. I'd hate to see us put any additional hurdles in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwholives View Post
I'd still say 10 is probably a bit of a small start zone, though. Maybe 12 or 14 would be a bit better. Either way, something to think about.
This is an area in which I think we can improve our map pool by altering the requirements. I propose a vote to:

1. Change the start zone requirement to 12-24 hexes regardless of map type.
2. Change the army size suggestion to 250-600 points regardless of map.type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamissflash View Post
Agentdex told me he's resigning... Disappointing to lose a judge so early.
I don't think he should be listed as a past judge either, he was never active.

We really need an admin thread separate from the discussion & display thread. Preferably a private thread only accessible to panel judges.

Items for trade
Heroscape lives on: 3FG C3G C3V CHCG24 CMSP NM24 SoV
Tournament Maps: BoV WoV
Old February 25th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odbo255 View Post
I propose a vote to:

1. Change the start zone requirement to 12-24 hexes regardless of map type.
2. Change the army size suggestion to 250-600 points regardless of map.type.
I second this and vote YEA.

I also vote NAY to lowering the requirements to 3 reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:48 PM

personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby!

I vote Yes on the change to army and start zone sizes accepted. I think it'll make the map pool a better one overall, and, while I love the big army, big map style of battles, for a tournament setting, I could see the need for smaller, faster playing maps. I think that we'll be able to get a lot of good maps that way, and we'll be able to contribute something even better to the community if the maps are more usable for tournaments.

In the interests of knowing where we stand on the current proposals, I'm going to collect them all and tally the votes. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes here.

1. To induct InfraredFog
Y - O255, QZ, LE4, PWL, DS, SM921, YF
N -
2. To withdraw AgentDex (Does this matter? we have a post saying he left)
Y - O255, QZ, LE4, PWL, DS, SM921, YF
N -
3. To change our process so only 3 reviews are required before we vote for induction
Y - SM921, LE4
N - PWL, O255, QZ, DS, YF
4. Change the start zone requirement to 12-24 hexes regardless of map type.
Y - QZ, PWL, DS, LE4
N - YF
5. Change the army size suggestion to 250-600 points regardless of map type.
Y - QZ, PWL, YF, DS, LE4
N -

Also, how would we go about getting a restricted admin thread, as I agree, that's probably a good idea?

I think I got all the votes from the past few pages. YF, we need your vote on the first two proposals, and those will be decided. 3 and 4/5 are still open to votes from many people.

TL;DR: I put a lot of thought into my posts. Please read them before responding, even if they seem long. I try to make my posts useful and worth the time.

Like NERVs? Try my new app! - My customs

Last edited by personwholives; February 28th, 2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added votes that came after I posted
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

3 -> No, four is the magic number here I think.
4/5 -> YES, I love this change.

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

1, 2, 5 = yes.
3, 4, no, the more reviews the better, but more than four would take too long. 12 spaces prevents certain swarm armies, but I think 19-24 spaces would work.

ymf
Old February 26th, 2011, 12:30 PM
<>character<>

LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness LordEsenwienIV wears ripped pants of awesomeness

3, 4, 5 = Yes I say all of these will help the WoV.

Old February 28th, 2011, 12:11 PM

personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby!

With YamissFlash's votes, it looks like we have a new member.

Congrats and welcome, InfraredFog.

TL;DR: I put a lot of thought into my posts. Please read them before responding, even if they seem long. I try to make my posts useful and worth the time.

Like NERVs? Try my new app! - My customs
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:27 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Ok, well I'm back from my trip, and am glad to see some voting. Welcome, InfraredFog! Say goodbye to AgentDex. The requirement of 4 reviews will not change. Proposals 4 and 5 are confirmed, however, I will add a recommendation for 24 starting hexes to the requirement of 12-24.

EDIT: I just printed Margins of Error, and will review it soon.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios