Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 30th, 2010, 12:53 PM

verbakint75 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
How Similar are Heroscape and Space Hulk 3rd ed.?

I currently have the first master set and castle expansion in my closet waiting for my sons 10th birthday in a couple months and I've been reading reviews about Space Hulk.

I've never played either game, but I'm really looking forward to playing Heroscape with my son (he's been asking for the game for months).

My question is, how do the two games match up? How similar are they? If you own one would buying the other one be superfluous?

I'm assuming, considering the forum I'm in, that most of you would say that Heroscape is the superior game, what makes it different, same, better, or worse?

Thanks in advance for everything.
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: How Similar are Heroscape and Space Hulk 3rd ed.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbakint75 View Post
I currently have the first master set and castle expansion in my closet waiting for my sons 10th birthday in a couple months and I've been reading reviews about Space Hulk.

I've never played either game, but I'm really looking forward to playing Heroscape with my son (he's been asking for the game for months).

My question is, how do the two games match up? How similar are they? If you own one would buying the other one be superfluous?

I'm assuming, considering the forum I'm in, that most of you would say that Heroscape is the superior game, what makes it different, same, better, or worse?

Thanks in advance for everything.

If you don't have Space Hulk, good luck on getting it at a reasonable price.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:07 PM

I'm more curious than in a shopping mood
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

They aren't very similar at all, other than they both use miniatures.

I own both, and think both are very fun. If you are only getting one, Heroscape is obviously the better pick, as it is expandable and has limitless options on play.

As jschild said, Space Hulk is not easy to find, and definitely not cheap.

More Detail:

Same
Both use miniatures
Both battles take place on modular pieces that can be used to create your own map (Heroscape is far superior, but the ability is there in Space Hulk as well)

Different
Space Hulk comes unassembled and unpainted. This may be a negative unless the painting aspect appeals to you.
Space Hulk's miniatures are far more fragile than Heroscape's. They are made of a hard plastic, with many little tiny decorations that easily break off if you're not careful. A 10 year old will likely break them in some way or another.
Heroscape has wide variety of units to make up your battles, while Space Hulk is comprised of two teams only, and they do not change. Each side plays differently however, so it doesn't get boring quickly, but Heroscape has the never ending option factor going for it here as well.

Worse
There's nothing that makes Heroscape worse than Space Hulk. (Other than lack of Space Marines, perhaps). But that doesn't mean Space Hulk is a bad game. If Heroscape is a 10 (and I think it is) then Space Hulk is easily and 8.5 or a 9.

Last edited by A_Train; July 30th, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

If you are interested in Space Hulk but dont want to pay the price you can always get Doom the boardgame which has a similar type feel and is alot cheaper. It also allows for up to 4 players.
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Heroscape certainly gives you a lot more options and expandability. Space Hulk is a pretty rigid 1 on 1 game with asymmetrical sides, with a lot of funky little details. It is beautiful, it is dripping with theme, and it is fun. But it is expensive and limited in scope.

Of course, you get in to scape and you'll be spending a LOT more than you will to buy space hulk. I'm just sayin.

Ah, and like Onacara said, DOOM the boardgame has a similar feel and is easier to get your hands on.
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Thanks Train! That was very helpful.

How does combat compare? I've looked over some of the cards in Heroscape and have a rudimentary understanding of how the die rolls work, and I know a tad about the Space Marines several chances approach . . . not sure. Just curious.

Thanks again.

Last edited by verbakint75; July 30th, 2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Aaarrrrgh! How can you manage to keep a HeroScape and Fortress in the the closet for a FEW MORE MONTHS! You must have the patience of a saint.

Yes there are a couple of HS fanatics and HS adicts on this web site and you're right most of us are probably biased. I can't say anything about Space Hulk, or DOOM, however I can point you to a less biased source of information. You can look up both games on:
< BOARDGAMEGEEK-dot-COM > ...and see how the fans of both games (and the general public gaming community) rate and review each one. There are also Photo Galleries for each game which you can compare at your leisure and also Discussion Forums for members to ask FAQ's, etc.

Onacara ~ I saw in the photos of your B/D party what appeared to be a "Halo (interactive) board game" on a coffee table. I recently picked up several of them at my TRU for 20% off the $11.88 Clearance Price. I'm just thinking of using the 3-D terrain for HeroScape customized landscapes and the unpainted miniatures for larger units in "Halo RISK" when I eventually get that (probably Christmas, hohoho).

How would this game compare to the two previously mentioned? Right now it is dirt cheap if you can still find it.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:01 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Onacara ~ I saw in the photos of your B/D party what appeared to be a "Halo (interactive) board game" on a coffee table. I recently picked up several of them at my TRU for 20% off the $11.88 Clearance Price. I'm just thinking of using the 3-D terrain for HeroScape customized landscapes and the unpainted miniatures for larger units in "Halo RISK" when I eventually get that (probably Christmas, hohoho).

How would this game compare to the two previously mentioned? Right now it is dirt cheap if you can still find it.

It's not horrible...my kids like it alot. Not close to the other two...in fact it probably more Scape like then Space Hulk or Doom like.
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

You're out of your mind, it's totally horrible...it's just WRONG. The only redeeming quality is the production values that went into it, but the game itself.....crash helmet levels of stupidity.

Halo Review (The only Halo this emulates is that one poo comes out of):
http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2...game-only.html

Space Hulk Review:
http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2...g-ass-and.html

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old July 30th, 2010, 05:22 PM

drewcula knows what's in an order marker drewcula knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
You're out of your mind, it's totally horrible...it's just WRONG. The only redeeming quality is the production values that went into it, but the game itself.....crash helmet levels of stupidity.

Halo Review (The only Halo this emulates is that one poo comes out of):
http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2...game-only.html

Space Hulk Review:
http://superflycircus.blogspot.com/2...g-ass-and.html
I cannot praise the above reviews enough. Superfly has described them both, spot on.
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Aaarrrrgh! How can you manage to keep a HeroScape and Fortress in the the closet for a FEW MORE MONTHS! You must have the patience of a saint.
I know! My son has been asking if we are ever going to get it and I want to play it so bad.

The sad story is that I almost bought it for him TWO Christmas's ago because the first master set was selling for 19 bucks at coolstuffinc.com! but I didn't know anything about it at the time and figured that he was too young (almost 8 at the time).

The reason I bought it so long before his birthday is because it started disapearing off of web-stores and store shelves, so when I found a copy at a local store I snagged it (sadly it cost me 40 bucks. . . sigh. . . if only I had known how god a deal 19 dollars was).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion