Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old October 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth
Re: Next Michigan Tourney/Game Day

I think the format we had before was awesome. I would like to post armies online so no two armies are alike. Maybe you could bring more than one army each so there is plenty of unique armies to choose from.

I'm already looking for more maps, following the same classifications damja and I used for NHSD...hope to have some new maps for our next tourney.

Maybe we can discuss them as well, so damja and I can have more input.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:38 PM

waycoolsuperdude is surprisingly tart

While I did really enjoy the NHSD format and would love to play that again, another idea I would like to see is switching maps.
I've read that it was done in the past, but forget where. It goes something like this:
Each player builds a small, hexagonal-shaped map, six hexes to a side. Within the map anything goes, almost. There would have to be some limitations, i.e. no 20 level high maps or such. Army points would be lower, say around 400. Before each game begins, players roll the D20 and the higher roller gets to choose which of the two maps to start on. The maps can be rotated to the player's desire and are then moved together to form one map.
Does this make any sense? I will see if I can find the thread somewhere. I always thought it would be cool is all...

Here it is!
Quote:
I loves me some MOPs, even though the creator in me prefers to just pull out all my tiles and build maps from scratch every time. I've been kicking around the idea of using them in a tournament setting for awhile now. Here's how I imagine it working.

(Before continuing, make sure you read and understand what a MOP is. You might even see what GaryLASQ has done with them.)

I'm imagining an event where each player is responsible for bringing 2 MOPs. They're small enough that even the newest player could build 2 using only a Master Set and carry them on a sturdy piece of cardboard or whatever. (Although to preclude someone not being able to come for lack of terrain, a Tournament Director (TD) might have a few extras on hand just in case.) Somewhere on each MOP should be a sticker with that person's name on it.

In order to incorporate starting zones, the outermost two hexes of each MOP would have to be viable for a figure to be placed. Therefore, no lava tiles, trees, glaciers, or castle walls in these outer spaces. You also wouldn't be allowed to stagger all the hexes with liquid/land tiles to block double-hexed figures. You could use whatever tiles you wanted for your MOPs, as long they followed the established rules (found in the link above).

The TD would then pair up players and assign tables. The two opponents would roll off to draft MOPs. The higher-rolling player selects first, placing his chosen MOP in front of him and to the left. The lower-rolling player then has the option of rotating her opponent's MOP in any valid orientation she chooses. She would then draft a MOP from among the remaining 3, place it in front of her and to the left, and her opponent would have the option of rotating it in any valid orientation he chose. This would continue for the right-hand sides of the square using the remaining 2 MOPs. The 4 pieces would then be joined together to form a solid piece with no gaps like in the picture below.

The final map, with starting zones, would therefore be shaped like this:

It's a decent-sized map. Not guaranteed to be balanced whatsoever.

The game would then proceed normally and scored however the TD has it set up. After everyone is finished and before the start of the 2nd round, the map is broken back up into the original 4 MOPs. For this round, each player moves 1 of his 2 MOPs to his left, and one to his right, wrapping around the ends of the table as necessary. Round 2 is then played in the same way as Round 1. After Round 2, each player selects 2 MOPs and moves them to his or her right. Repeat this cycle for however many rounds the tourney has. This should guarantee a good mix of maps.

And that's it! I'm sure there's plenty I haven't thought of as this is still a work in progress. I'd really love to see this in a tournament though, so let's make it happen!
I would envision using just two of the hex shaped maps instead of four, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited by waycoolsuperdude; October 19th, 2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: found thread
Old October 19th, 2010, 11:08 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

I was also thinking we could have a treasure day and use only treasure glyphs. Then you can think of an original trap that we can use for a glyph for the tournament.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old October 20th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yes! We need to use treasure! I loves me some treasure. Especially Braxas with a Cloak of Invisibility.

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:05 AM

ICEMASTER is surprisingly tart

I would love to do the NHSD format since I haven't tryed that yet. Points I think I would be good with 500 to 650 points. I would love some treasure.

As in the words of rednax.What does neg-rep accomplish that a kindly-worded PM can't, besides possibly angering the recipient?
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:14 AM

FOOTBALLDUDE88 is surprisingly tart

If we could do a Sunday that would be the best for me otherwise November 13 or 27 or December 4.
I put up my vote for the NHSD style tournament somewhere between 500-650 points.
FBD88

VOTE FEN HYDRA IN
UBR 2011!! ALL HAIL
FEN HYDRA,
IMMORTAL FEN
HYDRA
Old October 20th, 2010, 03:50 PM

damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby! damja rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOOTBALLDUDE88 View Post
If we could do a Sunday that would be the best for me otherwise November 13 or 27 or December 4.
I put up my vote for the NHSD style tournament somewhere between 500-650 points.
FBD88
Sundays usually don't go over very well.

I will have to check the store's schedule as well.

For points, we will definately be over the 400 I saw someone else mention. I like the idea of higher points because by simply limiting the starting zone you force people to spend more points on average per hex so unplayed squads like EI and heroes become better options.

Even at 600 something like 6x 4th Mass and Taelord is possible. At 650 4th Mass isn't as good because you need to take less of them to match your opponents point value. As good as they are, would you be willing to play at 50-100 less points than your opponent? Probably not.

At 700 this is even more of an issue for those A-level squads.

The MOP idea is interesting, and one that I looked at before, but it seems like too much in combination with the switching armies idea.

ZBX has been trying to get me to use treasure glyphs for a while now. I'm not sure how I feel about them. I honestly hate the regualr glyphs and specifically used maps that didn't need glyphs for last time. With glyphs, even if carefully selected, the game can become about glyph control and not about beating your opponent with your army. I am very hesitnat to include glyphs at all any more.

damja is a Venoc Viper...
in THE SPARKLY CAVE
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I still like the idea of using our own army twice and switching armies only for the third and fourth rounds.

~Rednax
Old October 20th, 2010, 09:33 PM

YakRoller Woo who?

We really liked the last format. I liked the higher point total, I completely agree with Damja that it limits overuse of some of the higher rated, cheaper commons due to starting zone size meaning you possibly give up points. ("Ripped pants of awesomeness" will be featured in one of my armies next time if the point totals are still high.)

As for choosing a day, the winter indoor soccer schedules for the kids were just posted. Saturdays will be bad for my son, Sundays will be bad for may daughter. Pick a day and we'll try to make it.

Rednax, we can get together on some weekends over the winter and you can play the same army every time.

Dave

"Never put your body where your mind hasn’t been first.”
Chris Duff
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I agree with everything said by Yakroller. High points are fun. I think that going with 700 or higher is really pushing it. That means dragons and other big baddies will be appearing in every army. Also, Saturdays will probaly be the best for me. Most of my soccer games are late a night, like 10-11 P.M, so time is not an issue. I have to see when my practice ACT is as well. I don't want to have that interfere.

EDIT: The weekend of the 11th is no go for me. The 4th would be better, or possibly the 18th when I am on break. Actually, I will have a term paper during the 4th so 18th is definetly the best for me.

Last edited by GromBloodboy; October 20th, 2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old October 20th, 2010, 11:06 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

An idea...

You first choose Good or evil... maybe even neutral ?

If you choose good, you start your army with 170-Drake and 80-Realin, and add another 400 points, of "GOOD" figures to join them.

If you choose evil, you start with ... an equivlent 250 points of evil figures.. I cannot think of what to use for the "main" baddies. And then add in 400 points of "evil" figures...
Old October 21st, 2010, 06:37 AM
Creamed by Corn

Too many Drakes and Raelins. Plus, everyone knows that you always take the bad guys. They have toasters and cookies. What do the good guys have? A grapple arm, an aura of defense, and fair treatment of their soldiers. Pish Posh.

I think that you idea is kind of cool Draconious, but I think that it will get too repitive. Most of the good guys would be range pods. They would feature Glad/Blasts, 4th Mass, Q9, and other various ranged units in every build. Better to stick to the free build then have to kill all those Raelins.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events