Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Why Tournaments?

Why not Beer, a new army each game, and FUN?

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
I drive 3.5 hours to play pick up games of 'Scape with people I hardly knew when I first started attending. There are still new people who join the group from time to time. I wouldn't likely drive 5 minutes for a pickup game of basketball (if it is happening where I happen to be at the moment I might get involved). I honestly don't see your point.
The competitive buzz around a tournament makes the game more enjoyable and interesting for me, and I don't think I'm the only one. I've traveled long distances to play in Heroscape tournaments, but I don't think I'll do it very often for a game day.

I'm not saying you all think the same way, I'm just answering my side of "Why tournaments?"

1. I like the tournament structure of short games on small maps, even outside of tournaments.
2. I like the competitive atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Would you travel across state lines to play a pick up game of your favorite sport if you only knew one or two of the guys that were going to be there?
No, but only because my favorite sport has a good following in Colorado and I don't need to drive three hours to get a pickup-level game. However, over the years I have flown to Seattle and Los Angeles and Milwaukee and Phoenix and Portland (and driven to many other locations) in order to play against top-level competition. When it comes to Heroscape, I currently don't care enough to put that sort of effort in, even for "national caliber competition". That's just me, though.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Actually I would, but I'm a freak that way.
EDIT: I was more upset with my performance in the pickup basketball game that I won during the break at NHSD than I was with my Heroscape playing (1-4).
Well then roll on down, give me a date. I can have 2-3 guys here on a moment's notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama View Post
Why not Beer, a new army each game, and FUN?
You too Hahn, I'm a couple of hours out, always have beverages and 'other fine consumables' here and I'm always down for a HS game.

I do wish that we could have tournaments where you could play any armies you want each round, if we have to have tournies, and I wish we could lose the prizes/FLGS in favor of a 5$ door fee (which is cheaper than a prize, generally) and move the venues to hotel ballrooms so that we could drink.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
so that we could drink.
The Dallas Team event last weekend was not exactly dry...it was "bring your own," though.

Now I'm trying to figure the logistics for post-GenCon and a swing by Northern Kentucky.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
The reason for it was to get in line with how WOTC promotes their games. I don't see any need for it outside of that.
That is too bad, because I do, although you wrote it and I haven't seen it, so I might have a completely wrong preconception of the document.

The thing I was hoping for was to have a basic set of guidelines. A set of loose rules that tournament directors could vary upon. They could say: we're following the official tournament structure with the following exceptions: x, y and z.

A set of guidelines like that would also enable standardizing and streamlining a rating system (like Nerv).

For me personally, to get in line with how WotC promotes their games has always been, and will always be a non-issue: I don't care. I am just interested in the game itself, promoting and playing it, and make it better by efforts like the books of HS in pdf, NESA, Nerv, adopting tournament standards, etc. Helping the disinterested corporation behind the game make money; not high on the list, although it is probably a side effect of all the things I am interested in.

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online