Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old December 13th, 2012, 08:05 PM

underling has disabled reputation
Re: HoME Design Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
It seems everyone is in favor of limiting Leadership to small/medium figures.
I like Faure's version of Inspire Hope more then the current one. For reference...
Quote:
Originally Posted by faure View Post
At the start of the round, choose 1 Unique Hero within x spaces of Gandalf. For the duration of the round, add +1 to any two of the following for the figure: Move, Range, Attack, or Defense.
The only problem with having SAs like these is that you have to track what two stats are boosted for a turn, and then those boosted stats can change from turn to turn.
The word for this is fiddly.
I also think determining a point cost can be a bit more problematic.

I like the idea of an Inspire Hope SA, but I think I'd leave it at attack and defense. Every scene I remember from the movies where Gandalf is inspiring seems like the net effect is the inspired character "fights harder." I realize that other SAs have a similar effect to boosting either attack or defense dice, but I don't know of any that boost both attack and defense dice.
Put a limited range of two or three spaces on it, and I think it'd be a reasonable ability. The effect is anyone near Gandalf, who he chooses to inspire, will turn into more of a fighting machine.

Kevin
Old December 13th, 2012, 08:18 PM

Name653 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by underling View Post
The only problem with having SAs like these is that you have to track what two stats are boosted for a turn
When I read that I had this crazy idea. Take a few Wound Markers, paint a white 1 on each of them, and if an Army Card's attack stat is being boosted by 1, you put a single 'Attack Marker' on the card. Now for defense, you would have to paint the whole thing blue, then do the number. I think that might help, especially if you have lots of W. Markers and you've got some paint.

Jesus Rocks!
"[HoSS] is brilliant!" ~Grungebob
High Resolution Scanned Heroscape Cards
Old December 13th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by underling View Post
I realize that other SAs have a similar effect to boosting either attack or defense dice, but I don't know of any that boost both attack and defense dice.
Orc Warrior Enhancement - Grimnak/Tornak
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Based on faure's playtests here, I'd like to suggest once more that we remove Inspire Hope from the design, or modify it to make it less powerful. From what I see in his tests, Gandalf is too powerful for his points, especially when coupled with Raelin and a ranged hero.
Old December 16th, 2012, 03:37 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Based on faure's playtests here, I'd like to suggest once more that we remove Inspire Hope from the design, or modify it to make it less powerful. From what I see in his tests, Gandalf is too powerful for his points, especially when coupled with Raelin and a ranged hero.
There was already a decent argument for removing Inspire Hope for other reasons. We could do additional playtests, but all things considered I'm pretty happy with just dropping that power.

I wonder if there's a way we could restrict Raelin. Dragging her around is a big bonus. Limiting Leadership to once a round would help with that.

What if we made Leadership and Inspire Hope mutually exclusive, so that he could only do either power once a round, and he couldn't do one if he did the other?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; December 16th, 2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: There's a method to my madness!
Old December 16th, 2012, 04:18 PM

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
There was already a decent argument for removing Inspire Hope for other reasons. We could do additional playtests, but all things considered I'm pretty happy with just dropping that power.

I wonder if there's a way we could restrict Raelin. Dragging her around is a big bonus. Limiting Leadership to once a round would help with that.

What if we made Leadership and Inspire Hope mutually exclusive, so that he could only do either power once a round, and he couldn't do one if he did the other?
I could see that if he's really broken dragging Rae around, though I'd rather just drop Inspire Hope and test from there. There's precedent for dragging Rae all over the board with Theracus and Brunak, who are much cheaper than Gandalf. While they also have much worse survivability, I can see Gandalf allowing her to tag along and not being broken, just so long as he has no aura of his own, which would tone it down a bit.

Keep his points the same, drop Inspire Hope, test from there, that's my opinion.
Old December 16th, 2012, 04:19 PM

faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
While it still could be a bit much, you could make Inspire Hope a once a game rather than once a round power. Makes it a bit more strategically interesting that way -- do you use early to wound your foes? give Raelin a little defensive boost? inspire someone to take out Q9?

Quote:
I generally only placed one active OM on Gandalf per round -- that was quite sufficient to place Raelin, let the rest of the army catch up, and then let another hero take action.
If you want a once a round effect, we could require that Gandalf reveal an X order marker to activate Leadership.
Or you could drop the number of figures moved from 3 to 2 to restrict a bit more (wouldn't have changed my results but in some cases this would force more strategic decisions).
Old December 16th, 2012, 04:21 PM

faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Keep his points the same, drop Inspire Hope, test from there, that's my opinion.
I'm fine with trying that out.
Old December 16th, 2012, 08:00 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Gandalf is different from Theracus (and Brunak) in that he is a powerful character in his own right, and he can move other figures as well.

But I would be fine testing the same card minus Inspire Hope.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 16th, 2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Gandalf is different from Theracus (and Brunak) in that he is a powerful character in his own right, and he can move other figures as well.

But I would be fine testing the same card minus Inspire Hope.
Quite true, perhaps I should have been clearer.

I meant that, while I'm okay with Gandalf functioning a bit like those figures, I think his cost should reflect his abilities in that Inspire Hope is too powerful at 180 when coupled with his other powers, and Leadership should be carefully considered when setting his points.

Sorry 'bout that.
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:10 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Old December 18th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Quote:
Removed Inspire Hope from the Book of Gandalf page.

I'm hoping to be able to get in some testing by this weekend.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs