Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old July 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Disciplined army, too much going on?

Marcus Decimus Gallus
Parmenio
Raelin (RotV)
Roman Legionnaires x2
Sacred Band x2
Tagawa Samurai Archers x2

Better not to mix the Sacred Band and Legionnaires?

I like +1 Move from Marcus and +1 Defense from SB (w/Parmenio's help), but would this army be better if it were simpler?

Raelin too big a reaction to possibly facing Zelrig? Not sure what else to do with the 80 points.

-insert signature here-
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM

cosmosis knows what's in an order marker cosmosis knows what's in an order marker
Re: Disciplined army, too much going on?

Looks solid. The SB/Legionnaires choice is up to you. With both, you get the versatility of having both. I guess you should try playing it out with mixed or with only one and see which you like best personally. ROTV Raelin is just nice to have regardless of the presence of an enemy Zelrig.

I feel like your only problem is against long-ranged armies on larger maps.

SPECIAL THANKS TO: oni, tppytel
My Tradelist
Deciper SWCCG Trading
List of Good Traders
Can't find it? Try the Index
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Unfortunately there will be no playtesting for this one, which is potentially for a tourney this weekend. The footprints of all the maps are reasonably small, nothing overly huge.

I'm thinking maybe the biggest detriment of the Romas/SB combo is in the order marker usage.

-insert signature here-
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:10 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Take out Marcus, Raelin and the legionaires and replace them with Kaemon Awa, Raelin (SotM) and Theracus.
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I'd have to say that mixing the Legion and the Band doesn't make much sense to me - especially if you're worried about Zelrig, the Legion's public enemy #1. Also, once you have Marcus, the 10th Foot starts looking really good when compared to the TSA. I'd be tempted to switch 2xLegion+2xTSA for 3x10th. Assuming the 10th isn't available, I'd probably still trade out the Legion & TSA, but use Kaemon Awa and the AE.

~Aldin, who usually only uses Parmy on spaghetti

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Personally I would go with this.
2xSacred Band-100
Marcus-100
Kaemon Awa-120
2x10th Regiment-150
2xTagawa Samurai Archers-130

or
Valguard-110
Parmenio-90
3xSacred Band-150
2xTagawa Samurai archers-130
Kaemon-120

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:35 AM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

I also would not mix the Greeks and Romans. Both good support units, but not a good backbone for your army. I would try going the Warlord route with the Legionaires. All the Warlords will give you bonding options. They all come with their own backup units, and I don't know what you're facing. If you really think you're facing Zelrig, an army of Warlords might not be the worst idea, especially since they'll all have bonding. Good luck.
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Thanks everyone...

Probably should have prefaced with a little back info.

1) The Legionnaires are my favorite historical unit, so now I'm even more determined to use them.

2) I used the Romans/Warlord army in a previous tournament (with the AE), and didn't want to duplicate beyond the Legionnaires and Marcus.

-insert signature here-
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Thanks everyone...

Probably should have prefaced with a little back info.

1) The Legionnaires are my favorite historical unit, so now I'm even more determined to use them.

2) I used the Romans/Warlord army in a previous tournament (with the AE), and didn't want to duplicate beyond the Legionnaires and Marcus.
How about:

Romans x2: 100
Marcus: 100
Tagawa Samurai Archers x2: 130
Drake (RotV): 110
Valguard: 110
Tarn Vikings: 50

Switching out the Tarns for a third set of Romans probably makes sense, if you have a third set. On the other hand, the Tarns will hold up better against Zelrig.
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Well, if the two "locked" units are the Legion and Marcus and if Warlord armies are out then I'd say you either take advantage of soldiers or go with a completely seperate 400 point ranged core.

Taking advantage of soldiers is actually a bit tough when considering starting zone limitations and your previous use of the AE. Mebbe a couple of 10th plus SotM Drake plus RotV Raelin? Boosts the defense, gives you a strong anti-hero unit and has some good synergies throughout.

For a seperate core, Beast Bonding might be interesting Mimring/Krug/2xArrow Grut/2xSwog. Already a solid 400 point army, it meshes well with the powerful melee screen the Legion provides.

~Aldin, child of history

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion