Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old August 25th, 2013, 05:55 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun
The Gathering - Post Thread

Okay, this is where we're putting the pics and battle reports for The Gathering. Can't wait to see what you fellas right up.

I had a request for the final standings, I'll find put the armies later.

So without further ado, I present:

1. Bonegnasher's Son
2. Cleon
3. Tim Sweeney
4. Kinseth
5. The CEE
6. Taeblewalker
7. Seth
8. Patrick Sweeney
9. Bonegnasher
10. Joseph Sweeney
11. BMW
12. Houndsrule
13. Henry
14. Marrowick
15. DanKarabinHatesYou (I'm waiting for the day you go 5-0)
16. Luke
17. Alex Karasavidis
18. Nicholas Sweeney
19. Eraguy816
20. OrcElfArmyOne
21. OrcElfArmyOne's Dad

Grats to Bonegnasher's Son on the great tourney!

I'll get up my battle reports later.

Last edited by Joseph Sweeney; August 28th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old August 25th, 2013, 06:29 PM

The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Gathering - Post Thread

My battle reports will be posted shortly. But for now, here are the pictures I snapped of other people's games! If you see I incorrectly named someone below, let me know and I will make the correction. (Clicking on an image enlarges it)

Cleon vs. marrowick to the left.
bonegnasher's son vs. Nick Sweeney to the right.
Tim Sweeney is on the laptop.

Kinseth vs. BMW in the front.
Henry vs. OrcElfArmyOne's Dad in the middle.
Joseph Sweeney vs. bonegnasher in the back.

Cleon vs. Kinseth in the front.
marrowick vs. Nick Sweeney in the back.

bonegnasher's son vs. Tim Sweeney.

Dankarabinhatesyou vs. Joseph Sweeney.

marrowick vs. Kinseth to the left.
BMW vs. Nick Sweeney to the right.

Patrick Sweeney vs. Alex Karasavidis

Seth vs. Henry to the left.
Taeblewalker vs. Tim Sweeney to the right.

OrcElfArmyOne's Dad vs. Houndsrule

The championship game: Cleon vs. bonegnasher's son!

In classic Heroscape fashion, the championship match came down to a single Stinger against a single Divider! (The Stinger won though)

The big winner, basking in his victory:

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:13 PM

The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby! The CEE rolls all skulls baby!

Here are my battle reports detailing my experience at The Gathering tournament in Albany, New York.

I was debating between army builds for quite a few weeks leading up to the tournament. At first I experimented with a super cheesy Q9, Kaemon, Raelin, Rats x3 army list. However, I didn't like having only two figures I could rely on to kill anything. Plus Rats aren't exactly my favorite unit to play.

Next I tried out a Nilfheim, Greenscales x4, Raelin army list. With this army I have my eggs all in one basket, because if Nilheim dies I don't stand a chance.

I also briefly experimented with a Glads/Blasts build. I can be a slow player at times, and I was concerned moving eight figures every turn would give me too much to think about in a timed event. I was also worried about not having any special attacks.

So I finally settled on this as my 510 point army:

Major Q9
Marro Stingers x4
Raelin (RotV)
Isamu

I thought the Stingers and Q9 would do an excellent job covering each others weaknesses. The Stingers could deal with any powerhouse hero like Krug or Jotun that might threaten Q9. Likewise, Q9 provides a special attack for my army and, with Raelin's support, can be nearly impossible to kill. Now, onto the games.

Game 1
Opponent: Luke (Nilfheim, Major Q10, Sonlen, Isamu)
Map: Marsh Thicket (Unique Attack +1 and Wound)

Luke didn't have a 'Scapers account, but he told me that he was a frequent lurker on the site. Luke's army consisted of several powerful heroes without any synergy (aside from Sonlen's Dragon Healing) to speak of.

Luke lead with Nilfheim, and I countered with Stingers. I piled my Stingers next to jungle brush close to the Wound Glyph. Nilfheim advanced, shooting Ice Shards along the way, until he captured the Wound Glyph for himself. His Ice Shards put a single wound on Raelin and killed 2 or 3 of my Stingers. The Stingers were returning fire at the white dragon, and even successfully drained once. I think I had 3 wounds on Nilfheim by the end of Round 1. Luke held the Wound Glyph, and I opted to kill my Isamu.

Sonlen, contemplating the recent loss of Nilfheim

Nilfheim succumbed to the horde of Stingers pretty early in Round 2, after only managing to eliminate one squad of the Marro. Sonlen advanced, Dragon Swooped a Stinger, and landed a pretty big blow on Raelin, bringing her a wound from death. The Stingers were quick to return fire, and hit the Elf Archmage for 2 wounds. I think Q10 entered the fray in Round 2, and managed to Wrist Rocket a couple Stingers to death. I held the Wound Glyph at the end of the Round, and Luke killed off his Isamu as well.

Round 3 saw Stingers and Q10 exchanging casualties. I had about 4 Stingers remaining by the time Q10 was defeated. At this point, Sonlen tried some late game heroics. The Elf actually managed to kill off my Raelin and Dragon Swoop Q9 for a wound. However, my remaining Stingers were enough to overwhelm the poor Elf. I really enjoyed talking to Luke. He was a pleasure to play against and I continued to check in with him throughout the tournament.

1-0

Game 2
Opponent: Taeblewalker (10th Regiment x4, Brunak, Raelin [RotV], Isamu, Otonashi)
Map: Ice Blossum (Initiative +8 and Move +2)

I had played an almost identical army to Taeblewalker's in Heroscape's Very First Online Tournament, so I knew how dangerous it could be. With heavy snow rules in play, I decided capturing the Move +2 Glyph needed to be a priority. However, Taeblewalker captured it first with his 10th Regiment. My Stingers were able to knock him off of the Glyph pretty quickly, and took it for themselves. I wasn't exactly sure where to position my Raelin, but I ended up putting her on the elevation close to the Move +2 Glyph.

Taeblewalker parked his Raelin up next to the large glacier piece, and a battle ensued between 10th Regiment and Stingers. I advanced my 7 move Q9 into Raelin's aura and towards the action. When my Glyph holding Stinger died, Q9 took his place, practically guaranteeing my army permanent control of the Glyph.

Good luck retaking the Glyph of Valda now!

However, Taeblewalker's Raelin was proving much more difficult to kill than mine was. I was losing Stingers about as quickly as he was losing Redcoats, which was not great for me since my Stingers were outnumbered. A 4 skull Wait Then Fire from height advantage on Q9 ended up landing 2 wounds on the Major. With my Raelin dead and only a single squad of Stingers left, I moved Q9 off the Glyph and began mowing down 10th Regiment. I moved Q9 over to the height right next to Taeblewalker's start zone, taking another wound in the process. With only 3 10th Regiment left, I was feeling pretty confident.

But then it happened, a Redcoat attacked Q9 yielding a skull. I picked up my 8 defense dice, and whiffed every single one. Now my 3 remaining Stingers and Isamu were facing a full health Brunak, 3 Redcoats, and 2 Ninjas.

In the end, the game had to be called on time. I lost on points with 2 Stingers and Isamu remaining. Taeblewalker still had a 2 life Brunak, 2 Redcoats and Isamu alive when all was said and done. Even if we had had more time, I don't think I could have pulled off a win. If Q9 hadn't whiffed on his defense, things could have turned out quite differently. My closest game of the tournament by far!

1-1

Game 3
Opponent: Nick Sweeney (Sentinels x3, Raelin [RotV], Krav Maga Agents)
Map: It's So Cold...It Burns! (Move +2 and Healer)

Nick was the youngest of the Sweeney players. Despite his age, he had a firm understanding of the game rules and mechanics. He was fielding a very defense-oriented army. Without any auto-would abilities in my army, the Sentinels were going to be a pain to kill. And Raelin-backed Krav can be nearly impossible to kill from range.

We both led out with our Raelin's and took up perches on opposite sides of the center glacier. Next, I rolled out with Q9 while Nick advanced his Krav. I was concerned I'd have to engage the Krav with Q9 to have any chance of killing the Agents, but Nick left 2 of the Krav outside of Raelin's aura. Two turns of 9 attacks from Queglix Gun and Nick was down to only one Krav Maga Agent.

I maneuvered Q9 closer to the Healer Glyph in case he took some damage, but Nick cut off the Major's path with his Sentinels. After a couple turns of unsuccessful attacks on both sides, I switched my order markers over to the Stingers. Thanks to height advantage, the Stingers were able to slowly but surely eliminate the Sentinels tied up with Q9.

Sentinels getting up-close and personal

Not making any progress at killing the Major, Nick switched his efforts to killing Stingers. He thinned out my first wave of Stingers, and started taking swings at my Raelin. I moved up some fresh Stingers around the other side of the glacier, and eventually shot down his Raelin and his last Krav. Then it was just a matter of cleaning up the last squad of Sentinels. Nick had a very cheerful personality and a good sense of humor to boot!

2-1

Game 4
Opponent: Seth (Grimnak, Tornak, Nerak, Blade Gruts x3, Krug)
Map: Badru Valley (Unique Attack +1)

Seth was one of Luke's friends, and also a lurker on the forums. He told me that he really enjoyed reading my Picture Battle Reports, and it felt wonderful to meet a fan in real life. If you guys are reading this, you should join the site!

Seth surprised me by leading with Krug. If I had known he would pile all his first Round order markers on Krug, I would have put some on the Stingers. Instead, I flew my Raelin next to the large tree close to my start zone. Next, I positioned Q9 in such a way that it was nearly impossible for Krug to engage the Major (due to Krug's double base). Seth realized this and then turned Krug's attention to my dormant Stingers. I think Q9 managed to land about 2 wounds on Krug in the first Round.

I placed all of my Round 2 order markers on the Stingers (and pretty much continued doing so for the rest of the game). The Stingers made short work of Krug, who sadly only managed to send a couple Marro to their death. The Stingers battled Blade Gruts supported by Tornak on one hill and supported by Nerak on the other. The dice were not being kind to Seth, and the Stingers were inflicting tons of damage without taking too many casualties.

Stingers and Orcs fighting to the death

Grimnak eventually advanced into the middle of the map, but he was gunned down quickly after Chomping a Stinger. Tornak fell not too much longer. Nerak and the remaining Blade Gruts made a valiant last stand in my start zone, but the Stingers proved too much. The Unique Attack +1 Glyph never came into play.

3-1

Game 5
Opponent: OrcElfArmyOne (Nakita Agents, Agent Skahen, Gorillinators x3)
Map: Hot Heights (Healer and ?)

First of all, according to the tournament software, I was not even supposed to be paired up against OEAO in the fifth Round, as he was currently 0-4. I was originally scheduled to play against bonegnasher, but he decided to skip his final game in favor of watching his son in the championship.

OEAO and I agreed that this game was over before we even put the figures on the board. Q9 is the very last thing Nakitas/Gorillas want to face. I flew Raelin up to a hill perch while OEAO advanced Skahen. Skahen landed 1 wound on Raelin before Q9 was in the fray. I tried 9 attacks of Queglix Gun to bypass Stealth Dodge, but they were all blocked. Skahen returned fire and hit Q9 for 1 wound. However, Skahen's early game heroics were brought to an abrupt end when Q9 rolled a 5 skull attack from height advantage. Skahen whiffed the defense roll she really needed and fell to a single attack.

The rest of the game consisted of Q9 slaughtering Nakita Agents and Gorillas left and right. OEAO never once had the chance to roll for Smoke Powder or use Tough due to Queglix Gun. He actually got Q9 up to 2 wounds until I burned the Healer Glyph. When all was said and done, only my Raelin had suffered a single wound. This was possibly the most lop-sided game of Heroscape I've played to date. I don't think OEAO could have done anything to improve his chances, it was just an awful match-up.

4-1; 5th place

Last edited by The CEE; August 25th, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Actually, you were paired against the father not the son, but bonegnasher wanted to watch his son play.

And I honestly felt that had Skahen taken down Q9, I had a chance. I would then be able to take height and out range you. Gorillas on height could defeat Stingers, especially with Smoke Powder backing it up.

The game was over as soon as Skahen died. I thought I had a chance when she was blocking and wounded Q9 and Raelin, but when she whiffed... :facepalm:.
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Actually, you were paired against the father not the son, but bonegnasher wanted to watch his son play.

And I honestly felt that had Skahen taken down Q9, I had a chance. I would then be able to take height and out range you. Gorillas on height could defeat Stingers, especially with Smoke Powder backing it up.

The game was over as soon as Skahen died. I thought I had a chance when she was blocking and wounded Q9 and Raelin, but when she whiffed... :facepalm:.
Thanks for the correction! I must have misheard. Now that I think about it, it wouldn't have made sense for me to be paired up with bonegnasher's son, as he was still undefeated.

And of course I agree with you. If Skahen had succeeded at taking down Major Q9 (unlikely, but still possible), it could have been anyone's game. Sorry if my report came off sounding too harsh.
Old August 25th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CEE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post

Thanks for the correction! I must have misheard. Now that I think about it, it wouldn't have made sense for me to be paired up with bonegnasher's son, as he was still undefeated.

And of course I agree with you. If Skahen had succeeded at taking down Major Q9 (unlikely, but still possible), it could have been anyone's game. Sorry if my report came off sounding too harsh.
No, you didn't come across harshly. Just defending my Gorillas' pride.
Old August 27th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I probably just killed the joke - in comic sans

marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Grimfoe Games decent Munchkin collection.

Hot Heights.

My army: Q9, Otnashi, Marro Stingers x2, and a Fen Hydra.

Some terrain they had up on display.

A group of attendees. Best I can figure for a list from left to right is: BMW, ????, Kinseth, Cleon, Bonegnashers son, Seth, Dan, Bonegnasher, Joseph Sweeney, and Patrick Sweeney.

Another group of attendees: Seth, Tim Sweeney, Henry, Nicholas Sweeney, Table Walker, BMW, ????, ????, ????.

Bonegnashers repainted Brunak

Some awesome terrain at the prize table brought by the Sweeneys.

Stygian Rift.

Some Chaos Space Marines I bought using my gift card I won in the first of five raffles.

Their somewhat impressive heroclix collection. I was thinking of buying some for C3G but decided not to.

Some of the maps we were playing on (I don't know the names of these ones).

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

Old August 27th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

In the second group, the last 3 are, in order from left to right, me, houndsrule, CEE.
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:28 PM

I will double check when Joseph gets around to posting the army list, but I noticed quite a few of the regular tournament staples did not make an appearance. I was really surprised that I didn't see a single 4th Mass, KoW, Glad/Blast, or Heavy Grut focused army in play. I was also (pleasantly) surprised to see so few VC customs. In fact, the only one I remember seeing was Kinseth's Quahon. Just some observations I thought were noteworthy.
Old August 27th, 2013, 09:40 PM

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

I'll have everything up within the next three days, I suspect. Just waiting for my computer to get fixed.

My apologies for the long wait.

~JS, who notes he's got some pretty cool pics, too

Last edited by Joseph Sweeney; August 28th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:21 AM

Left Cleon; Right Marrowick

Left Nicholas Sweeney; right Bonegnasher's Son.

Left-top Houndsrule; right-middle Kinseth; right-bottom DanKarabinhatesyou; right-top Marrowick&Eraguy's younger brother.

Right to left: Bonegnasher, Marrowick&Eraguy's little bro, Utger man, Alex Karasavidas, Joseph Sweeney.

Left (not one HSers), right Taeblewalker.

Front-left Patrick Sweeney; Back-left The CEE; Front-right OrcElfArmyOne; Back-right (Not one HSers).

Some of our Custom Terrain:

Prize table:

Last edited by Joseph Sweeney; August 29th, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old September 1st, 2013, 09:39 AM

Hey everyone,

This is Patrick, the tournament was a lot of fun we had a great turn-out thanks to everyone for bringing maps and making the day a success, now for my battle reports.

My army was: Fen Hydra x 2, Major Q10 and Raelin.

Match 1 VS. OrcElfArmyOne

He had: agent Skaken, Nikita agents and gorillanators.

At first, Q10 was able to take down most of OrcElfArmyOne’s Nikita agents and gorillanators, but then Q10 and Raelin were both shot down by the gorillanators. My Fen Hydras advanced. He spread his gorillanators out in such a way where the Fen Hydras could only attack one at a time but the Fen Hydra still have six defense dice so although he could inflict a wound here and there it was hard to kill one of them, eventually, one Fen Hydra fell. Now it was my Fen Hydra with two life left against agent Skaken. I moved my fen hydra on equal ground (which happened to be magma) and attacked, I inflicted two wounds! Agent Skaken inflicted one wound in return. At this point I had the last OM on my Fen Hydra, I attacked and rolled two skulls he got…one shield. In conclusion it was a very close game and very well played on OrcElfArmyOne’s part.

Match 2 VS. Tim Sweeney

He had: airborne elite, wolves of badru x 3, ghost knights x 2 and Marcu.

I sent up Q10 and tried to pick off some PKs, instead he got killed. But the board was short, so my fen hydras could reach his units in one move. He had a Phantom Knight on the glyph of wannok which always spelled trouble for my army because while they have good defense you don’t get to roll defense dice for the accursed glyph, so that was where I would strike. Unfortunately, I forgot about insubstantial four, so reach counts as a ranged attack, thus, I failed to knock his PK off the glyph, but four attacks is very useful. I was turning it around when his airborne elite dropped, which was a setback, but I still managed to kill everyone but one Wolf of Badru one Phantom Knight (who was still on the glyph which did do the last wound on my hydra) and one airborne elite.

Match 3 VS. Clyon

He had: Su-bak-nu, and a horde of dividers *sigh*

The board was great for me except for the fact that the glyph of wannok started next to him. There was a steam in-between our startszone and the main battle field; thus, Raelin’s aura could protect my units without her being engaged by the enemy, so my fen hydras could kill his divider easily, or so I thought. Victory was within my grasp, he had probably three or four dividers, Su-bak-na (full life), and I had my full army minus Q10, and 2 or 3 wounds on Raelin (from the glyph wannok). I attacked a divider all four times, and, yes, he divided each time! From then on he divided most of the time, at the end I came out with something like 134 points killed, or some weird number like that. It was a huge amount of fun and I now respect the dividers a lot more.

Match 4 VS. Luke

He had: Nilfhein, Q10, Isumu, and Sonlin.

This board’s start zones were only the back two spaces to place your units, so it was a little tricky to place my units, and the one place I did pick was a bad choice. See, I surrounded my units around Raelin except for a water tile in-between Raelin and a hydra – that gap is where he moved up Isumu using Phantom Walk, he then proceeded to kill her with Dishonorable Attack, but Isamu soon fell, also. And after that it was the battle of the Q10s! He moved his Q10 on height, on my turn I moved on height. it was back and forth, but in the end, my Q10 was victorious! And finally, my fen hydras finished the battle.

Match 5 VS. Alex K.

He had: Q9, Charos, Krav, and Otinoshie

It was an up and down battle, sometimes I was winning, and sometimes he was. Q10 killed Q9 but Isumu and Charos killed Q10, then my fen hydras did seven wounds to Charos before they fell, then he moved in for Raelin. She flew on height and slew the foul beast! Now for the krav! The agent shot from a distance, but the bullet was deflected off Raelin’s armor! She flew forward to meet her adversary, she attack the agent brutally, killing him. She turned her head and sized up the ninja – they’re a dangerous kind, so she kept her distance, but the ninja did not hesitate, she charged Raelin. The Kyrie flew on height and slew the ninja.

I went three for two and finshed seventh out of twenty-one people. Also, I rolled eleven ones and rarely rolled above a seven for initiative.

I hope everyone had as much fun as I did.

-Patrick Sweeney

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events