Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 27th, 2015, 04:42 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game (Looks HeroScap

The points cost for 9 of the 12 green spell cards are shown. Totaling 165 visible points. I am guessing the final three cards total anywhere from 35-85 points making the spread 200-250 points for a spell deck.

Are we taking bets that there will be spell deck building rules? I wasn't sure at first, but Spiel and Toy fair pics both show what I assume are points costs on the cards. Makes sense since the strategy of MTG CCG arises from the deckbuilding.
I am guessing the spell deck building points are separate from the armybuilding points.
E.G. It's not just a 400 point game, but a 400/250 point game.
Old March 27th, 2015, 05:39 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorcrayons View Post
The points cost for 9 of the 12 green spell cards are shown. Totaling 165 visible points. I am guessing the final three cards total anywhere from 35-85 points making the spread 200-250 points for a spell deck.

Are we taking bets that there will be spell deck building rules? I wasn't sure at first, but Spiel and Toy fair pics both show what I assume are points costs on the cards. Makes sense since the strategy of MTG CCG arises from the deckbuilding.
I am guessing the spell deck building points are separate from the armybuilding points.
E.G. It's not just a 400 point game, but a 400/250 point game.
Nice catch! I hadn't noticed those tiny, fuzzy points listed at the bottoms of the cards.

Allowing for separate points with which to build deck and army is a cool concept, but can you imagine the balancing act that would be required if those points were part of a single total?

I could see that as a way to allow players to include some extra really powerful spells, but at the expense of their army.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old March 27th, 2015, 06:09 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Since it looks like the Planeswalker starts out on the game alone and then summons squads and heroes to fight/protect him (just like in the magic card game), I would bet the summoning cards are part of your deck and each have a cost. You then build a ~500 point deck of cards, some of which are summoning spells while others are different types of magic spells. How many points you want to invest in each is up to you, just like in the card game.
Old March 27th, 2015, 07:40 PM

Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
Allowing for separate points with which to build deck and army is a cool concept, but can you imagine the balancing act that would be required if those points were part of a single total?

I could see that as a way to allow players to include some extra really powerful spells, but at the expense of their army.
Maybe it is. Who knows for sure?
All I know is that the info we have shows each army build very very close to 400 points for each planeswalker.
This is the first time I have seen enough points on a single color of cards to get a rough guesstimate of how much a spell deck might reasonably be pointed as. So if your assumption is true, then army builds are 600+ points straight out of the box for a single planeswalker, 2 squads and 12 cards.
I'd rather have it as a single conjoined point spread as you mentioned, since you would have more freedom in how you play the game.
Dont want a lot of models and would prefer to be light and chuck a lot of spells? Go spell deck heavy.
Hate spells and want to just play normal heroscape? Fill your points up with squads. etc.

However, unless they made some drastic changes to the spell deck for each planeswalker since Essen Spiel, I don't think squads are a part of the spell deck. There are full spell lists for each planeswalker out there, and none of them mention summoning squads. So summoning happens somewhere else I beleive.
It makes one wonder how the normal heroscape turn order has been affected (if at all) in order to facilitate card play and squad summoning.
Old March 27th, 2015, 08:47 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
Nice catch! I hadn't noticed those tiny, fuzzy points listed at the bottoms of the cards.
In my post on page 39, I mention the number on the bottom of spell cards for the cards where numbers are visible. I've never played MTG, so had no idea what they might represent.
Old April 6th, 2015, 10:04 AM

Normal card building rules in M:tG are pretty inclusive. You just have to have a minimum of 60 cards in the deck, and no more than 4 copies of any one specific card. No points are used. The points cost of cards in Arena of the Planeswalkers (Horrible product name. Can we just start calling it Planeswalker Arena for short?) seems to be something to help stitch the assumed deck building rules onto heroscapes game engine.

Which as a lover of both games, I beleive this to be intuitive. Knowledge of M:tG game play seems to be unnecessary in order to grok the much more accessible heroscape design.
Old April 6th, 2015, 12:08 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Normal card building rules in M:tG are pretty inclusive. You just have to have a minimum of 60 cards in the deck, and no more than 4 copies of any one specific card.
Did they change it? I haven't played in a long time but the minimum deck was 45 cards and the 4 of a kind rule was only for tournaments, fun games allowed as many copies as you wanted. Otherwise Plauge Rats would be pretty useless capping out at 4/4.

Want to see comething crazy, try a deck with nothing but Swamps, Dark Rituals, and Plauge Rats. Maybe a Sol Ring or other quick mana booster too.
Old April 6th, 2015, 12:25 PM

The deckbuilding rules were changed a couple years after the alpha set. About 20 years ago, now.
No more 20 lightning bolt decks.
Old April 6th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I was just going to say lightning bolt deck.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old April 6th, 2015, 03:19 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Quote:
Normal card building rules in M:tG are pretty inclusive. You just have to have a minimum of 60 cards in the deck, and no more than 4 copies of any one specific card.
Did they change it? I haven't played in a long time but the minimum deck was 45 cards and the 4 of a kind rule was only for tournaments, fun games allowed as many copies as you wanted. Otherwise Plauge Rats would be pretty useless capping out at 4/4.

Want to see comething crazy, try a deck with nothing but Swamps, Dark Rituals, and Plauge Rats. Maybe a Sol Ring or other quick mana booster too.
4 of a kind of cards, 1 of a legendary creature on the field at a time, 60 card minimum (Unless you're playing Tiny Leaders or Commander where it's 50 or 100 specifically), 20 life (again unless you're playing variants where it's 25). Depending on what tourney format (Modern, Legacy, Standard, etc.), certain cards could be restricted or out right banned. That's all the rules I can think of.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old April 6th, 2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsanner2 View Post
Did that interview with Tom Vasel ever get posted?
It's coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
The spells don't seem to have a cost; I hope they are balanced in some way other than overall deck composition power - as in noncustomizable.
According to Tom, they don't have a cost, and IIRC they are a 1-time use.
Sooooo..... ummm.... it's been a few months. Any sign of this anywhere, #Xorlof?
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/...-title-box-art

Sounds like late this summer

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion