Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the better unit in Unit Debate #2?
4th Mass. Line (Minutemen) 25 50.00%
10th Regiment (Militia) 25 50.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Unit Debate #2 -- Minutemen Vs. Militia

1. Stats/Special Powers

2. Playability

3. Overall Usefullness

4. Who Would Win Head-To-Head

5. Army Builds

Last edited by MegaSilver; April 25th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM

kpotassiumk19 is surprisingly tart
Re: NEW AND IMPROVED -- Unit Debate #2 -- Minutemen Vs. Mili

Yup, the last unit debate was a fail. This one will be better though.

In an all valiant army, the 4th Mass will be be better because of the valiant bonus. Without the valiant bonus, the 10th Reg win. I think the 10th Reg will be worth the extra points. Unless you need to cut your point total by 10 points or so, I would always pick 10th in a non valiant army because the bayonet provides a great tactical advantage that the 4th are missing.

"The greatest advice ever given to me was don't be an idiot. Before I do anything, I always think, would an idiot do this? If they would, I don't do it."

~Dwight, The Office
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I choose the SEARCH Function.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...highlight=foot
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:20 PM

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post

Well I'm sorry that this debate disappoints you. Wait until you see this coming Saturday's debate. Maybe you will like that one instead.

MegaSilver
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:22 PM

Well, first tries at anything don't always succeed. But if you keep on trying, it will work out right in the end.

Do you suggest any more changes to the debate? Anything I overlooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpotassiumk19 View Post
Yup, the last unit debate was a fail. This one will be better though.

In an all valiant army, the 4th Mass will be be better because of the valiant bonus. Without the valiant bonus, the 10th Reg win. I think the 10th Reg will be worth the extra points. Unless you need to cut your point total by 10 points or so, I would always pick 10th in a non valiant army because the bayonet provides a great tactical advantage that the 4th are missing.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

4th>10th, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; June 23rd, 2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Note: I didn't link this to discourage debate, but to save myself from typing something up.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:31 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker

The problem with these debates is most of them have been discussed before, just in a less structured way. If you were to pick two units that dont see a lot of play, maybe that can-
1. Create a better debate thread
2. Have people play these underused figures
3. Create new strategies to use those figures.

The fail of this isnt in the structure itself, its in the topic.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:37 PM

Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker Einar Gen. knows what's in an order marker

I believe the 10th are undoubtedly better.

The 10th cost 5 points more. But for those 5 points, you get the same same stats, same amount of figs, one more ability, and more versatility. To gain their defensive bonus, the 4th must have an all valiant army, which rather restricts you in figure choices. The 10th need only be adjacent to the attacking figure. Granted, the 4th's bonus holds up against specials, but the 10th's not needing a specific army build opens up far more possibilities. As for attack bonuses, the 4th cannot move a single figure, otherwise they lose their bonus. The 10th can do this AND rush the enemy, giving themselves an attack bonus and a defensive bonus, if the enemy happens to survive. This said, the 4th are a bit more defensive, where as the 10th can be either defensive or offensive. In an all out brawl, the 10th would be slightly outnumbered with one less defense than their enemy, but it would mostly come down to strategy and the skill of each individual player.

Defense or versatility. You choose.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creationist View Post
The problem with these debates is most of them have been discussed before, just in a less structured way. If you were to pick two units that dont see a lot of play, maybe that can-
1. Create a better debate thread
2. Have people play these underused figures
3. Create new strategies to use those figures.

The fail of this isnt in the structure itself, its in the topic.
Well, for one I am trying to have a location where people can locate these dicussions, and maybe reopen the discussions with Wave 9 up and coming (though these units are most likely not affected directly).

Two, next Saturday's debate will be between two "unique" units. I will begin mixing it up in later debates, but I am hoping to gain attention to this thread by first using recognized units.

MegaSilver
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:29 AM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

I easily like the 10th better, the Valiant can be a huge restriction in my mind. Your stuck to drafting Drake, Charles, KoW, or a few other figures. With the 10th, chances are, every turn you will have a bonus, minimum 1 figure would probably rush an attacker and get a bonus, or you have the wait then fire.
No matter what, the 10th are way more fun to play with, I think.

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby! Bonecrusher rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
I too choose the SEARCH Function.

Last edited by Bonecrusher; June 24th, 2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:53 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

MegaSilver - maybe if you're going to continue doing these debates, just do a search and link the previous threads, and maybe reference them in your discussion. Rehashing debates is OK, but it'll help to have the prior information on hand.

Also, a central thread with all of these debates might be useful as well.

I think the 4th are stronger than the 10th as well. People always say how versatile the 10th are, but I disagree. I think the 4th are actually more versatile. They can move anywhere they want and still get extra defense. The 10th have to find a way to engage the enemy to do it, and 2 defense, 5 move squad figures usually have a tough time doing that against range. Sure, you can add Raelin or Marcus, but they just hinder the versatility even more by taking up Order Markers, Points, restricting the ground in which you get extra defense (in Raelin's case), or encouraging you to draft more Soldiers (in Marcus' case).

Against melee, the 10th are stronger (maybe). Against range, the 4th are stronger. Range > Melee, so 4th > 10th.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion