Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old November 9th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Worldturtle has disabled reputation
Strategies for countering Nilfheim?

I don't know about you guys, but Nilfheim pretty consistently rocks many of the armies I field. Usually I find that the dragon's high mobility enables him to hop around pretty freely. I'm frequently the victim of hit-and-run strikes, where he'll hang back and blast my melee units from height, then hop over my front line and attack my ranged troops when I try to bring them to bear.

Obviously, some units are able to withstand his withering barrage for a few turns due to high defense or life, like Ne-gok-sa, Q9, and obviously Krug. Largely due to the fact that he can't strike these figures repeatedly with frost shards. Squad figures, however, even the Krav Maga Agents, usually fair somewhere between poor and terrible. (And trust me, I've tried the Krav Maga, only to see Nilfheim charge and engage several of them, dispatching a significant part of the squad handily). The trouble arises when you consider his relatively high mobility on many small maps versus other heroes. You may have some tough units that can threaten him, but he's evasive enough to remain out of engagement with them.

Anywho, any thoughts or strategies you guys use when facing Nilfheim? Am I just missing something simple? Perhaps I need a few faster units that I can sacrifice in an effort to engage him and tie him down? Deathreavers mayhap? (Despite the fact that frost shards pierces their scatter?)

I'd love to hear your thoughts, except for Jexik, he doesn't get to read this thread and develop devious counters to new strategies.

I'm awesome on a 16+
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
Charos works pretty well too! Welcome to the site! Nice to meet ya'!

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:11 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
Whenever my brother picks a Dragon, I go straight for

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM

Worldturtle has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaknight
Hey thanks! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Oh and Tyguy, that jotun icon is fantastic!

I'm awesome on a 16+
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
"Ooh! a LTLFTP"

I've used Niflheim more times than I've played against him, but in my games Q-9 can be affective, either wittling Niflhiem down or making him engage to attack.
I only play against 2 other people though, so that could be affected by our playstyles.
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:52 PM

jean_jacques246 has disabled reputation
I think using Charos would be a good counter, but it's always fun to use Nilfheim against Nilfheim and outmanuever your opponent...or cringe in regret when your Nilfheim is killed instead. Ignore my last sentence, Charos is your best bet.
Old November 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM
The Orc Master

Browncoat is surprisingly tart
The best counter to Nilfheim that I've found is the Deathreavers. You need to get the rats mobile in the first round. Since Nilfheim is a flyer, he can move across the board in a hurry, and you need the rats to engage him out of range of your other figures. The rats' defense is decent enough to outlast Ice Shard generally, and if not, they're only 40 points.

Once Nilfheim is isolated, hopefully you can move in a ranged squad and pick him off. I've also had a lot of luck using Cyprien or the Soulborgs.
Old November 9th, 2007, 09:07 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldturtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaknight
Hey thanks! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Oh and Tyguy, that jotun icon is fantastic!
Thanks, if you click the "View more Emoticons" link when your posting, you'll find a whole load of great smileys.

~SpyHunter- Hoping you already didn't know that

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:48 PM

goodhueq has disabled reputation
agreed

I will agree that Nilf is pretty good, especially in a 250 point army. We are practicing for our Krug Holiday next Saturday and my friend Ian (azeroth00) uses Nilf better than anyone I've ever seen. Only Krug has been able to counter him so far, though when I used Nilfheim, Cyprien killed him and Cap Am once so I don't play him as well.

Charos, Jotun, and Krug are my three counters, only one of those allows more army at 250 points.

3 MS,2 SOTM,2 FOTA,1 Orm,1 Raknar,3 RTTFF,1 TT,2 VW,2 Wave 1,2 MM/Wolves,2 KOW/Swog,1 Barrenspur,0 Wave 3,2 AA/Glad,2 Armoc/Greek,1 Blast/Stalkers,1 Law/Sam,1 Trollsford,1 Nak/Glad,4 WOA/Rats,1 Ninja/Sam,2 Wave 6 + 1 Zomb,1 Wave 7 + 1 each unique,1 each flagbearer,3 gold Zomb (thanks Dustin).
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Swarms will take him down easily. I love it when somebody takes Nilfelheim and I have my knights just waiting for him. The most he can attack is 3 a turn. The knights have decent defense that they may only lose 1 or 2 a turn. His range is 5, so the knights can engage him on his next turn. Throw in a Champion such as Denrick or Alastair and Nilfelheim won't be able to keep up with the attacks. He would have to kill 2 squads of knights, Denrick or Alastair or Gilbert, and Eldgrim just to get his points worth.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old November 10th, 2007, 11:09 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Well I wrote something to post here, clicked submit and apparently it never posted.

For a squad against Nilfheim I'd say Minions of Utgar. They have a high enough defense to survive his Ice Shard, and can outmanuver Nilfheim slightly being only one-spaced. Also when the minions are on the offense, they could take out a chunk of Nilfheim's life with Deadly Strike, especially if they are on height.

Old November 11th, 2007, 12:05 AM

War Solves Everything has disabled reputation
Nilfelheim is used well as a second wave. First your first wave goes to eliminate all ranged figures then Nilfelheim swoops in unchallenged, unless, you have Mr. Vampire himself.

I feel sorry for you. Your not me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles