Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old February 6th, 2013, 10:14 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Got the itch to get 51st State to the table again (or I should really say for the 1st time, since I've only every played it solo), and it was as fantastic as I thought it woud be.

Can't wait until The New Era expansion arrives in the mail this week (fixed some issues, and upgraded bits).

Also 'dusted' off the Neuroshima Hex! iOS app against BTL Matt... such awesomeness!

NYYS, I had thought 51st State looked kind of neat, but the RFTG comparison kind of kept me away. I don't care for RFTG. Is actually like RFTG or is it just that it has a similar high learning curve?
Hahma, I have never played RftG, but I can say 51st State does have a steep learning curve because of the extensive symbology. Once you get used to all the symbols, the game is tons of fun. However, it may put off some new comers. Although I must say that anyone who plays or wants to play 51st State should certainly grab The New Era because that expansion really improves upon the game.
Yep, all the symbols I think is why it's compared to RFtG. Funny thing about the learning curve though. 51st state came out in 2010, which was when I really hit my stride in branching out into games outside of HeroScape. There is definitely something to be said for being a veteran gamer and knowing how to interpret a rule book. Things that would have confused the heck out of me a couple years ago (with any heavier game) are no longer an issue. I think that's what happened with 51st state for me back when I first got it.

Up until last week I hadn't cracked the 51st state box since 2010 (nobody to play with and that feared learning curve). Granted I had been through the rule book before (and asked questions on BGG), but the game in general didn't seem nearly as difficult to understand as I remembered this time around, and my son, 10, took to it very quickly (still plenty for him to learn as far as strategy goes, but he got the bulk of it).

So with an experienced crew of gamers I think you'll be alright. Still a learning curve, but not quite as steep as I initially described.

-----

EDIT: The only down side to 51st state (and The New Era expansion fixes a great deal of this) is that it comes with a lot of really thin (difficult to pick up off the table) tokens. Tokens that probably deserve the lable of being too fiddly. The New Era expansion replaces many of thse tokens with nice wooden bits. I'll report back on the quality of the rest of the contents when it comes in this week (or maybe Matt can tell us now ).

-insert signature here-
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Thanks guys. It sounds like a fun game and symbols aren't usually the main problem I guess for our group considering some other games that we play with symbols. Ultimately since there are usually 12-15 people (and while the number stays consistent, the people can vary) at our weekly game nights, the biggest challenge for a game with a steep learning curve is that it's tough to get a few people to consistenly play the same game to get through that learning curve. There are always different games busted out or available every week, so there is a lot of temptation to try something new, different theme, or one that we haven't played in a while.

Maybe someday we'll see 51st State and I'll jump in on it if someone is willing to bring it and teach it.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Ascension x2 last night, followed by Survive: Escape from Atlantis. Good times!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 6th, 2013, 11:54 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

We played Survive the other day Bats and had a great time. I wish it could make it to the table more.

Played DC Card Game last night with my 6 year old daughter, she asks to play it every day. We used all 12 Super-Villians and ended up tied 75-75. I recounted but it was official. We were both . She was running around telling everyone. It was hilarious.
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:30 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Heh. After I won Survive 19-16-whatever our third friend had, when the friend with 16 had a 3 point explorer poised to depart, then my other friend selected the volcano on the first mountain tile to be turned over, my friend who finished with 16 is demanding a rematch next week.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 6th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I'd like to play Survive again. We played it to death as kids. (My brother got it as a birthday gift or something.) We played a lot of games as kids (Shadowlord, Stay Alive, Trust Me, Stop Thief, Dragonmaster, etc.), but Survive was a real favorite. We may have played it more than anything.

And the new Survive is so much nicer looking. Quite sharp. Got to play it again.
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:16 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Got the itch to get 51st State to the table again (or I should really say for the 1st time, since I've only every played it solo), and it was as fantastic as I thought it woud be.

Can't wait until The New Era expansion arrives in the mail this week (fixed some issues, and upgraded bits).

Also 'dusted' off the Neuroshima Hex! iOS app against BTL Matt... such awesomeness!

NYYS, I had thought 51st State looked kind of neat, but the RFTG comparison kind of kept me away. I don't care for RFTG. Is actually like RFTG or is it just that it has a similar high learning curve?
Hahma, I have never played RftG, but I can say 51st State does have a steep learning curve because of the extensive symbology. Once you get used to all the symbols, the game is tons of fun. However, it may put off some new comers. Although I must say that anyone who plays or wants to play 51st State should certainly grab The New Era because that expansion really improves upon the game.
Yep, all the symbols I think is why it's compared to RFtG. Funny thing about the learning curve though. 51st state came out in 2010, which was when I really hit my stride in branching out into games outside of HeroScape. There is definitely something to be said for being a veteran gamer and knowing how to interpret a rule book. Things that would have confused the heck out of me a couple years ago (with any heavier game) are no longer an issue. I think that's what happened with 51st state for me back when I first got it.

Up until last week I hadn't cracked the 51st state box since 2010 (nobody to play with and that feared learning curve). Granted I had been through the rule book before (and asked questions on BGG), but the game in general didn't seem nearly as difficult to understand as I remembered this time around, and my son, 10, took to it very quickly (still plenty for him to learn as far as strategy goes, but he got the bulk of it).

So with an experienced crew of gamers I think you'll be alright. Still a learning curve, but not quite as steep as I initially described.

-----

EDIT: The only down side to 51st state (and The New Era expansion fixes a great deal of this) is that it comes with a lot of really thin (difficult to pick up off the table) tokens. Tokens that probably deserve the lable of being too fiddly. The New Era expansion replaces many of thse tokens with nice wooden bits. I'll report back on the quality of the rest of the contents when it comes in this week (or maybe Matt can tell us now ).
I always recommend picking up New Era because the components are a huge improvement, replacing the rather small tokens. Plus, you now get a score board that also acts as a cheat sheet. Oddly, the score board was printed on the back of the 51st box. Also, New Era provides a single "HQ" type card for each faction's abilities, whereas 51st used 3 cards each. Lastly, New Era improved a handful of rules, adding in a few new ones as well, making the game noticeably better.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Survive: Escape from Atlantis. Good times!
I've not played mine yet. Have the 2010 version with squids and 5-6 players expansion even so I must get it to the table soon. This Sunday for sure!

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
Quote:
I've not played mine yet. Have the 2010 version with squids and 5-6 players expansion even so I must get it to the table soon. This Sunday for sure!
Survive is a fun game. Though when playing with my game group it's nice and cutthroat, whereas my twin girls (that will be 10 on the 21st) like to play nice and we don't see much shark attacks or whale boat destroying.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:32 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
Quote:
Do you know where you can get the Squid expansion? I just got this game and love it, and am really eager for some squids.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Ascension x2 last night, followed by Survive: Escape from Atlantis. Good times!
Which expansions did you use with Ascension, if any? We really like the base game + Return of the Fallen, but I don't want to add too much gadgetry with the rules with other expansions.

Thoughts?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:58 PM

My friend just got Ascension. I think it was just the base set, as he only had one box.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games