Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old August 15th, 2006, 09:48 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
How I got a Sir Hawthorne and a castle set

So yesterday seemed like another dreary summer day. It was raining throughout the day so no outside work could be done. I was still recovering from the excitement of all the new releases and hopes of the new releases unreleased. I thought to myself, "how the heck am I going to get my hands on that exclusive Sir Hawthorne figure from Gencon?". I hate exclusive figures because it takes forever to find one. I got a Nerak off a friend at home who had an extra one from the Toys R Us thing, so that was sweet, because I did not feel like spending $20 on ebay.

Upon seeing the new Sir Hawthorne figure here on this site I immediately ran (or surfed the net) to ebay to cheack out what I'd have to go through. $50 was fairly average at the time. I slunk in my chair and fretted a good few minutes of my life sulking. I am very impatient and I am a completist when it comes to Heroscape, and I bet everyone at this site was feeling similar to what I was feeling.

I heard a couple of days ago that an older brother of a friend was going to Gencon, and there was a slight chance he'd be able to get his hands on a Sir Hawthorne. He'd be able to get more than one if he could convince his friends with him to get the figure too. None of them play heroscape so I thought I might be in the clear. But then I thought, "what if they want to sell it on ebay?" The price of the figure was still pretty high and I couldn't really blame them if they wanted to sell.

So fast forward to yesterday evening, where I sit in my computer chair wondering how I am going to get my hands on all the new stuff. Happyjosiah calls me and tells me about the Walmart in North Versailles. He said that when he went in the store they did not have any of the new stuff, but were remodelling the shelves and lo and behold, a space for the castle sets were on the shelf! He quickly asked the local associate when they were gonna be on the shelf. Of course the associate had no idea but was kind enough to check the upc to see how many were on hand. Apparently 3 castle sets were on hand. Happyjosiah asked the kind sir if he might be able to check in the back. The associate said no. Could you believe it?! A person workign there actually refused to help flat out. Ridiculous.

When he called me we were both very excited. We called periodically throughout the day seeing if they shelved the castles yet but were met with associates unable to speak english very well, although that didn't even matter because they had no idea what heroscape was anyhow. Then, an idea popped in my head: I had worked at Walmart last year during the school year in order to make some money so I could buy Christmas presents for my family. I had stopped working soon after the Christmas season, but still had my vest and nametag (woops, I was supposed to turn that in). A devilish scheme enveloped me. Perhaps I could put on my vest and go back to layaway and find the unopened Hasbro box.

Happyjosiah laughed at the idea and we both agreed that it would make a great story anyway no matter what the outcome so we waited until late that evening to go out to Walmart as that is when they take the pallets onto the floor to reshelve. We are about to leave when my friend Dan calls. Josiah knew what this meant but I am dumb and stayed in the dark for a few seconds. His brother just got back from Gencon and................. had managed to get his hands on 3 Sir Hawthornes! Josiah and I felt like little kids at Christmas awaiting Santa Claus with his happy bag of goodies. Dan finally got to Josiah's house and gave us our gifts. He actually did say he was contemplating dressing up as Santa but figured it was a lot of work for a little joke. Anyway we gleefully ripped apart the packaging and unveiled our very own Sir Hawthorne. We couldn't believe it, we were getting the little guy for free! We demanded that we treat Dan's brother sometime and we plan to do just that. Apparently he also got his hands on some terrain from the giant castle set that was made at Gencon so we played with that for a while (we really are little kids).

At around 11 we skipped off to Walmart. We arrived at the store and checked on the shelf and found no castle set. The pallets were all out on the floor and despite the mutterings of the associate we began looking (not rummaging and taking apart, but looking) at the pallets to see if the hasbro box was there. From pallet to pallet we searched, hasbro boxes titled "girl's toys" littered the wooden carts. Each cart was wrapped in plastic and I though we might be waiting a long time to find what we wanted and figured the box was buried somewhere at the bottem and in the middle. But then Josiah gave a girlish yelp that could only mean one thing: he had found the box. A single solitary box at the top of the stack had in it the prize of our quest. We greatly thanked the associate for the box cutting she had to endure and looked inside. Sure enough, 3 castle sets lay inside. I checked around me to make sure no booby traps were lade anywhere near me like some Indiana Jones flick. We looked at the boxes and shook with excitement. We quickly paid for them and got out. An astounding 24.99 per item! What a deal. Josiah bought two and I bought one. I figured the other two castle sets coming in the mail from housemouse would quell my hunger for castle sets for a while.

We went back to Josiah's and opened his castle set. We took everything out and played with all the pieces. Josiah had his sister put his initials on each peice while we built rudimentary things, lol. I felt bad for her but she seemed to enjoy herself. We might have to give her her favorite figure for free, Johnny Shotgun. Anyway to make a really long story slightly, but not really, shorter in length, we said our goodbyes and decided Wednesday would be a good day to play with the new stuff.

I went home and opened my own castle set and Sir Hawthorne figure. I was even having fun putting my initials on each little piece in that wonderful terrain set. I fell asleep with a smile on my face thinking about how I thought it was going to be yet another dreary summer day. I love being wrong.

The End

Fin
Old August 15th, 2006, 09:57 AM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Wow! That just made me crack up!
Congratulations gamjuven!
Old August 15th, 2006, 09:58 AM

primal has disabled reputation
no offense, but I want to kill myself.
ha ha ha.
awesome day!
you rock!
you rule!
fortune favors you!
enjoy the new and excellent awesomeness that awaits you!

very cool. wait for wednesday, make a killer map and give us a report!

the North Carolina Semi-Hex Annual Skirmish. old school style.
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:00 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Happyjosiah should be putting up some pics of us with the new stuff soon if he ever figures out how to upload pics on this site. We look so stupid it \'s awesome.
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:30 AM

AgentX-127 Woo who?
Nice story.
I've been stalking 3 WalMarts waiting for that shelf to be filled.

And yes,
Sir Hawthorne...I need it/want it/have to have it.

You didn't mention Wave 5 though? Did the WM have that too?
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:41 AM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
That was a great story. The gamer in me really wanted you to don your discarded WalMart garb and infiltrate the corporate giant. The professional in me is glad that you did not commit Criminal Trespass.
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:50 AM
ultradoug

the third one is for me right?
Old August 15th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Baconsteak has disabled reputation
Man I was at that same walmart yesterday afternoon!
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
gamjuven I just want to say that your English teachers and your parents did one heck of a good job with you. Not only can you write clear coherent thoughts, but you also took a job so you could buy your family presents. The way I see things you got your Scape treasures because the karma wheel HAD to come around for you.

Cheers good sir!
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:34 AM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
sweet. i got my Castle like so:

Yesterday moring, i woke up at 9 so i could mow the lawn before it got to tremendously hot outside. Everyone is at work, except me (unemployed). Later that day, dad calls and ask if his trusses (we're building a new HS play house...err...garage) had been delivered, and before i let him hang up i reminded him to check WM for my castle set when he goes in (he works there monday and friday nights and saturday mornings), and he agreed. Well, along come his trusses---and him. He decided not to go work at WM that night, which pissed me off to no end. So at about 5 o'clock, he calls up 2 WM's for me (i have had bad experiences with calling WM in the recent past) and they both had 3 sets in stock. Well, he drives me out to WM in rush hour traffic so i can get my set. I walk to wha used to be the game aisle, but has now been morphed into sporting goods and begin to panic. "THEY'VE CHANGED THE WHOLE STORE AROUND!" i thought to myself. I continue exploring, and just as i begin complaining that i can't find the board games to my dad, i spot them, and run off to them. In my frantic search to find my beloved HS items, i walk past it about 3 times before it catches my eye. I snatch up the castle set with the speed of a cat and run off. We get to the car and i open my box. Then, we get home and i set up a little castle, then call 2 of my friends and tell them that i have castles and they dont etc, etc, and then i call my GF and she comes over, so i don't get to play with them until like 1030 last night.

YAY CASTLES!

need more!
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM

geddy lifeson has disabled reputation
Maybe the rest of us can take turns bowworing the Walmart garb to check the back areas.

You can surrender without a prayer, but never really pray without surrender
You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win without a fight
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:39 AM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
Yeah that is what I was thinking. I could put my ninja skillz to the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddy lifeson
Maybe the rest of us can take turns bowworing the Walmart garb to check the back areas.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News