Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 28th, 2014, 12:16 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
If only it was the Starter Set on sale...I guess I can't start.
I picked up a $5 off $50 coupon for CSI at GenCon. Seriously considering putting it to use to pick up two starters and a couple of those expansions...

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane View Post
Personally I still enjoy Monopoly because I still enjoy what the heart of the game really is - knowing the other players.
Don't get me wrong. I love the early, board position establishing part of Monopoly. It's just that after the first thirty minutes or so, I've achieved 85% of the pleasure I will get out of playing through the entire game while experience tells me I'm only 15% of the way done. The fun is heavily front loaded. Which, I imagine, is why so few people finish games of Monopoly.

~Aldin, playing tons of Beyond Earth lately - which is kinda a board game - even though it's on Steam

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
If only it was the Starter Set on sale...I guess I can't start.
I picked up a $5 off $50 coupon for CSI at GenCon. Seriously considering putting it to use to pick up two starters and a couple of those expansions...
Not that it needs any promotion, but X-wing is a great, great game. I enjoy it quite a bit and don't even mess with the tourney scene (at this point).

@Jim
I too played quite a few Xwing and Tie fighter on the pc back in the day!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old October 28th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Fwiw, if I ever have a Monopoly itch, I think Powergrid scratches it pretty effectively and a lot more painlessly.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 28th, 2014, 01:08 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Fwiw, if I ever have a Monopoly itch, I think Powergrid scratches it pretty effectively and a lot more painlessly.
I've only played it once, but I dig that game.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 28th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Oh, yes. I like Power Grid a lot, and I'd never thought of it that way. That's an excellent suggestion, Bats.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane View Post
Personally I still enjoy Monopoly because I still enjoy what the heart of the game really is - knowing the other players.
Don't get me wrong. I love the early, board position establishing part of Monopoly. It's just that after the first thirty minutes or so, I've achieved 85% of the pleasure I will get out of playing through the entire game while experience tells me I'm only 15% of the way done. The fun is heavily front loaded. Which, I imagine, is why so few people finish games of Monopoly.

~Aldin, playing tons of Beyond Earth lately - which is kinda a board game - even though it's on Steam
That's where the house rules really make the game drag - adding in infusions of money to people who should be going broke. Really, with good deal making and all the rules played as is a game of Monopoly should only be an hour.

But if you don't dig that second half hour you should look into the version with the extra red die. I forget what they called it, but it makes that second half of the game, after everything's been bought, a lot faster. They use it for all tournament play last I checked.
Old October 28th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:

Good game, I own it, too. And I totally get where you're coming from using it as your Monopoly replacement - it's a fun game.

I have both because I can't always get the folks in my life to play the games they've never heard of.

Though my mother absolutely loved playing a ton of Zombie Fluxx games a few years back while we handed out candy. It was kind of funny watching her enjoy the game when she's a Canasta kinda gal.
Old October 28th, 2014, 05:47 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
You are completely right. A coupld of my friends won't play Power Grid either because it reminds them so much of Monopoly. I think it's good every now and then, but it can really get bogged down if people are slow to make decisions.

Old October 28th, 2014, 08:42 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

A nice 3hr game of Last Night on Earth. Our games normally don't last that long but when you have a 7yr old wanting to move all the zombies and read all the cards that get played can really add time to a game. We played the newest scenario I picked up at Gencon, Airstrike. The Heroes must place 4 Emergency flares in the 4 corners of the center board before the town is turned to rubble due to the Airstrikes. Starting on turn 7 the zombies roll for a random building that gets destroyed. I had found 3 flares in the beginning but Johnny died with 2 in hand. I then failed to find anymore until there were 2-3 turns left. Sally was about to place one she found when a zombie shambled up on her and took her down with out a problem. Down to 2 turns and still needing to find and place 3 flares we knew there wasn't a chance for the heroes to win. This seemed like one of the toughest scenarios so far. The Heroes get nothing extra to start the game while the zombies get to auto spawn and start the Airstrikes on turn 7. There's only 3 Emergency flares in the deck but you can find more by revealing the number counters and rolling higher than the number revealed. I had revealed numbers 2,4,5,6 and failed to find any extra flares. Can't wait to try again!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old October 29th, 2014, 01:43 AM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sounds like fun, stubobj!

We played a 4 player game of Gloom tonight. I had a winning combo set up on my turn only to have my father-in-law block one of my events unexpectedly. He then won on his next turn.
Old October 29th, 2014, 07:14 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Taeblewalker continues to tear up the table, whipping me, Sherman Davies and my pal Tag in our first 4 Player game of Firefly The Game: Blue Sun Rim Space! And then for good measure he did it again in a 3 Player of Quartermaster General, playing all three of the Allies! Yikes, how does he do it!?! When Tag got ready to play the new Fruity Oaty Bar card, we watched River mesmerized by that advert from the film Serenity on my new 55" TV.

Coming up next week besides our regular monthly NYCG4 Heroscape scenario (by Kolakoski), our first four faction game of Star Trek Fleet Captains with The Federation, Klingons, Romulans and The Dominion all out there on the table!

Just got my copy of Twilight Struggle. I printed out a thread about the best way for newbies to learn from bgg that I recommend.

Copies of my new game reviews, all done since last week, are now on bgg for:

[B]Star Trek Fleet Captains: Silk Purse From Sow's Ear
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...fleet-captains

Firefly The Game: The 'Verse Calls
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...me-verse-calls

Quartermaster General: Instant Classic
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...nstant-classic

Fire and Axe: A Viking Saga (which will be finally reprinted soon)
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...xe-viking-saga

And finally; yes:
Heroscape: Its Alive!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...cape-its-alive

I'm now waiting on:

Cyclades: Titans (a real game changer)
Command & Colors: The Prussian Army (last of the major Allied armies)

Finally, here's a link to my recent 10 Player game of Memoir 44: D-Day Landings at my FLGS, where I was the assistant event runner. This was a play of the entire six giant maps ("Operation Neptune"). It includes my commentary, a photo, and even a graph! Enjoy. I'll be doing another 3 mapper of the US beaches in November here at home.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...ration-neptune

Last edited by chas; October 29th, 2014 at 05:21 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games