Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old June 2nd, 2018, 03:59 PM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker
Extra Heroscape Mod (It's Super Extra!)

I've been a player of Heroscape for many years. I have always been captivated by the figures and just how fun a simple game can be. However, I was never without my gripes. I know many other players are the same. Several people have made home-made improvements to the game be it home-brew rules, custom figures, or the Delta points system, all of which are great additions.
In more recent years I've had the pleasure to play other miniatures games like X-Wing and Warhammer. These games range from simple to very complex but all have their own intriguing elements. My thought was "What if we took the best parts of some of these other games and made Heroscape even better?" This is the defining thought process behind this "Mod."
Do keep in mind that this is not because I dislike Heroscape the way it is, I simply think that the system could be manipulated differently for a game that involves more strategy and decision making.

Throughout the next several paragraphs I will point out several Heroscape elements that I feel need improvement. Following that I will mention a proposed solution to what I felt was an issue. Some issues are small some are more obvious but I decided to tackle the ones that I found to be the most prevalent.

So without further ado, here we go!

The Battlefield Problem(Starting Zones):
Spoiler Alert!

The Battlefield Problem (Terrain):
Spoiler Alert!

The Order Markers:
Spoiler Alert!

The Line of Sight Problem:
Spoiler Alert!

The "Stuff" Problem:
Spoiler Alert!

The Official Figures Problem:
Spoiler Alert!

The Damage Problem:
Spoiler Alert!

This is not all the ideas that have been floating around in my head but it's most of the major ones. I will add more in awhile with more time.

Last edited by GeneralRolando; June 6th, 2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 04:19 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Extra Heroscape Mod (It's Super Extra!)

Cool.

For LoS, a couple solutions I have seen used in Battletech is a laser pointer and an upside down periscope that can be placed over the figure you are looking from.

Why 13 turns? That feels like way too far to plan ahead.
I could see a poker card for each army card so everyone goes, every turn. I have seen that used in Battletech.

Cover is tough. You need solid rules that cannot be disputed.

Entry zone is pretty cool. I like the idea that you need to get all your figures out before you can use them.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 04:44 PM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Why 13 turns? That feels like way too far to plan ahead.
I could see a poker card for each army card so everyone goes, every turn. I have seen that used in Battletech.
13 is just how many cards are in each suit of a single deck.
You would assign only 1 card to each unit. 2-A
If no unit has a 2 on it then you just skip and go to the next number that someone has a number for. The idea being that if you want to move first the nyou need to play lower numbers. If you want to attack first then you need to play higher numbers. Initiative breaks ties.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 04:48 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Right on. Yeah the card technique works pretty good.
The problem I see is the team with the most cards gets the most turns.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Right on. Yeah the card technique works pretty good.
The problem I see is the team with the most cards gets the most turns.

Yeah that's one thing I thought of. It somewhat weakens heroes in general because it's assumed in the normal game that even if you have only a few guys the turns still match up. I have some other ideas floating around that will hopefully balance this out a bit so high-cost heroes aren't such a liability.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 02:24 AM

Added three additions to the first post:
The "stuff" problem
The Official figure problem
and the Damage problem.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 09:56 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Check these out:

Trex assault like rules https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=53711
Classic unit redesigns https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=37768
Excellect cover rules https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=30507
Nerf commoms https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=53030
Heigh advantage bases on figure height https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=51813

Each addresses a different issue. Combining them up will make you games more complex and more simulation like which might be what you are going for.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old June 3rd, 2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Check these out

Each addresses a different issue. Combining them up will make you games more complex and more simulation like which might be what you are going for.
I will take a good look at all of these and see what I like. These may be some of the solutions I’m looking for. Thanks!
Old June 6th, 2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Check these out:

Trex assault like rules https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=53711
Classic unit redesigns https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=37768
Excellect cover rules https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=30507
Nerf commoms https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=53030
Heigh advantage bases on figure height https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=51813

Some of these are pretty neat additions. I'm not a huge fan of nerfing commons or those assault rules. The height advantage rules are interesting, I may use that instead of standard height rules.

I don't think I really want more simulation but simply more decisions to make during a particular turn. I think even the most basic unit should have several options to him. It's too often when you can basically go on autopilot and never make a meaningful decision in a game. The main problem I see with some of these additions is not they they are bad in any way but they are made with a different school of thought than what I think I am interested in. I'm more interested in making Heroscape different as a whole as opposed to changing a small part of it. While I want Heroscape to have cover rules, I want those rules to work cohesively with the other changes I put in place. Perhaps I'm looking to more make a new game with elements of Heroscape (namely the pieces and combat system) as opposed to re-making Heroscape with elements of other games, and I'm willing to rebuild the game from the ground up to do so. Even if that means recreating the official units and rules into new ones with the new rule system in place. By the end I hope I have a well enough designed rule set that anyone with some Heroscape sets can try out a more engaging, and immersive experience.

Either way, thanks for showing me some of the great content that long time Heroscapers have provided.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions