Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old April 14th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!
Re: DropBox for Site Improvement Ideas

Boy, do I feel stupid now that I've read some of the other threads and found a clear explanation about the time zones...

Oh, well. We're all entitled to one stupid post out of every thousand, right?

I did have one realistic suggestion, now that I've spent more time browsing and experimenting.

Can we get a more distinct dividing line between posts and signatures? Right now, the line is very faint and easy to read right past. It's not a major issue, but is kind of annoying.
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I was wondering if you Admins would consider deleteing the really long threads,and starting them over in the same way.
It would certainly clear up space,and make the people who post constantly in threads like the Title advocacy thread know that you shouldn't do that,and make the threads a little more clean for our new awesome look. Thanks,Shades fan!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I agree with the idea for the thread pages to be
First Page...50 51 52
or whatever, like that. Its much easier to see stuff.
Old April 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM

Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padwhite View Post
Currently the pages for a thread are listed as such...

1 2 3 4 ... Last page

Could it be changed to...

First page . . . 50 51 52

Or something like that?

The first (current) method gives you no idea how many pages there are in the thread. That is how it was on the old site, and I think I prefer it. Thanks.
DITTO!!!

This isn't a major issue for most threads, where they're only a few pages long, but this thread is 50 pages long... ok, 51 pages long. I thought it was a new thread due to the new layout. Little did i know...

Never trust kids when they ask "Hey dad, can I borrow the car???"
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I think we should bring back the 5ive.

I know that Markwars is probably still too busy becoming a lean, mean, gencon-missing machine, but I miss the 5ive. I just liked the old format of having a handful of cool threads to go check out, even if they don't have fancy graphics. When I first joined the site back in July, the first thread I went to, Grungebob's tribute to close games, was in the 5ive. I remember lots of other things, from teekay's color theory, to a number of cool customs and the like. A good variety will give people an idea of the sorts of things they can expect from the community.

Had it not been for Grungebob's MUST READ addition to Embrace the Suck's title, and its later placement on to the Front Page, a lot of us might have missed it. At the same time, I'm sure a number of us notice some other cool threads now and then and it'd be nice to have those recognized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Is there a way to display how many people have looked at your blog?
Old April 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Is it just me, or does the new template make most of the original posts look like quotations? Check out this very typical post as just one of many examples:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...&postcount=108

The impression created there is that "This site found a way to make me come out of hiding." is a quotation, to which markwars is replying, "Don't Panic".

In trying to identify what elements of the design contribute to this incorrect impression (for me), I think it's some combination of the following:
  • The entire post is unnecessarily indented relative to the avatar header.
  • If the poster has a sig (which most will), then there will be horizontal rules above and below the post, making it appear visually offset.
  • The individual title for the post is placed and formatted in a way that is very similar to a "Bob wrote" kind of header.
Any chance of tweaking one or more of those elements so it doesn't make every post look like a quotation? I think that would help with the increased "reading fatigue" we are feeling with the new site. (And might also help undo some of the mobile device unfriendliness.)

I think the easiest tweak might be deleting the first horizontal rule (the one that separates the post title from the post text). It's really unnecessary, since it's always in the exact same relationship to the avatar header. Just a little whitespace following the title would be more than sufficient, since the title is in boldface and in the majority of cases will begin with "Re:".

And, most important, thank you not only for your hard work but for entertaining complaints and addressing them. That's probably the most thankless part of the effort!

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old April 15th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I confess to having the same kind of momentary confusion testified to by Just_a_Bill. I think I'll catch on soon enough, but some people's sigs (unintentionally, I'm sure) do see to be the final "word" in the reply.
Old April 15th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
I confess to having the same kind of momentary confusion testified to by Just_a_Bill. I think I'll catch on soon enough, but some people's sigs (unintentionally, I'm sure) do see to be the final "word" in the reply.
That's what I've been saying. There needs to be a darker line (at least) between the body text and the sig.
Old April 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I just noticed, Finrod, that you centering your sig lines really helped. I jumped back and centered mine. Maybe we could make that a community "norm."
Old April 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

For some reason my notification emails link to the most recent post in the thread I'm subscribed to instead of the first post since I last went into the thread. It wasn't doing that when the new site first came online.
Old April 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM

SVD997 knows what's in an order marker SVD997 knows what's in an order marker

I agree about the centered sig thing, but could you darken sigs like you did the headers? Make it a little easier to scroll through and read? Right now, sometimes it's hard to tell the post from the sig.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online