Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:30 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by robaula
Whats Thanks Giving, and whats with the hats and Turkeys I see here and there in other threads?
It's when we yanks celebrate the fact that we kicked you brits back across the pond
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:32 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
'Tis our National Day of Thanksgiving, the fourth Thursday of November, a sort of Harvest Home celebration marked by the eating of turkeys and cranberry sauce, football and the humiliation of near and far relations. Some people give thanks to God, but more often we are inclined to self-congratulation instead or as well.

Oh, the hats are pilgrim or Puritan garb. They left Plymouth, England and by the most amazing of coincidences landed at Plymouth, Massachusetts!
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:07 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Quote:
Originally Posted by robaula
Whats Thanks Giving, and whats with the hats and Turkeys I see here and there in other threads?
It's when we yanks celebrate the fact that we kicked you brits back across the pond
Actually that day is the Fourth of July.

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Point Blanks has disabled reputation
I'll just spread the truth.
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blanks
in response to your avatar: What makes Indians so special? Why not whine to retire all mascots, as they all demean something, don't they?

I mean come on, those poor cowboys being misrepresented by athletic teams, or what about our Norse friends (Vikings, vandals), those poor little leprechauns (Celtics, fighting Irish), or the American founding fathers (patriots) or the animals (eagles, bears, colts, bulldogs, and on and on), or the inanimate objects (rockets, suns, etc)

My point is, in case you missed it, 'Indian mascots' demean native Americans no more than I (as an American of Irish decent) am demeaned by the mascots of the Boston Celtics or Notre Dame.

So let me say it again

/Soapbox rant
Old November 6th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Not to mention that the original Cavaliers had short shrift of the Irish.

Another option, of course, could be that we all just "get over it." I do think that was your point, though, wasn't it?
Old November 6th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
Not to mention that the original Cavaliers had short shrift of the Irish.

Another option, of course, could be that we all just "get over it." I do think that was your point, though, wasn't it?
Beautifully summed up, Rev.
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:16 PM

I do love that we are putting costumes on over our costumes (isn't that what an avatar really is?).
Old November 6th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
I do love that we are putting costumes on over our costumes (isn't that what an avatar really is?).
Well, my wife might say that my current avatar is very close to my true self :P
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:25 AM
52nd runner up - Miss UK Pageant

robaula has disabled reputation
without the pig tails, and maybe with a bit of facial warping, I might be able to pass as my avatar now
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:59 AM

It would take a LOT of facial warping, Rob. <g>
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Point Blanks has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point Blanks
in response to your avatar: What makes Indians so special? Why not whine to retire all mascots, as they all demean something, don't they?

I mean come on, those poor cowboys being misrepresented by athletic teams, or what about our Norse friends (Vikings, vandals), those poor little leprechauns (Celtics, fighting Irish), or the American founding fathers (patriots) or the animals (eagles, bears, colts, bulldogs, and on and on), or the inanimate objects (rockets, suns, etc)

My point is, in case you missed it, 'Indian mascots' demean native Americans no more than I (as an American of Irish decent) am demeaned by the mascots of the Boston Celtics or Notre Dame.

So let me say it again

/Soapbox rant
I find all the mascots that represent actual people in bad taste. They rely on retarded stereotypes.

Of all the mascots, except for the Vikings, weren't an actual race of people. Why is that? Why is a race of people put right up next to animals?

What comes to mind when you someone says the word "Indian?"

You either think of

A.) The caricteratures in a John Wayne movie,
or
B.) A Mascot.

I think an Indian mascot is alright if they use only a specific tribe, because it's up to that tribe to determine whether or not they want to be represented in that fashion.

For the sake of argument, let's say there was an African American mascot that is in the same vein as the Native American mascot. He would be a caricterature of the "Black Sambo" character of years past. At half time he would run out in the middle of the field with a watermelon in his hands, screaming "Massa, Massa."

It isn't up to Non-Native people to determine whether or not something is offensive towards Natives, Rev. Your religon sucks. Get over it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online