Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

It's the narrowness of the map that makes me give it a NO. You could physically block the center of the map with 4 rats......let alone 2 or 3 squads of them.
Old July 24th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Titleless

Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby!

I would like to nominate my map Northward Bound-

http://www.mediafire.com/?ppc55sp023z5206

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Charos View Post
I would like to nominate my map Northward Bound-

http://www.mediafire.com/?ppc55sp023z5206

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this.
You're in the right place. Thanks for the nomination.

I'm concerned that the sides/wings of the map don't have much incentive to them. The prime territory is all pretty much in the center of the map: Glyphs, Roads, High Points, most of the Cover. And the height just outside of the start zone worries me as well. Yes, there is better height further out, but that is a very solid perch right near the home base. (And, speaking of the start zones, the walls there seem oddly placed, not terribly functional or tending to help the action of the map move forward.)

All in all, this looks like a decent map, but not one that I'd choose to use at an event.

I vote NO to review Northward Bound.

I hope you'll keep working on solid maps, Black_Charos. Take care.
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:45 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

I think that any map that's using RotV + RttFF has the bar set fairly high. RttFF easily the most used expansion in the BoV, and we already have several maps that use this specific combination. So when I'm looking at a map for induction, one of the questions that I'm asking as a tournament organizer is whether it brings anything new to the table. Why would I choose the proposed map over another map?

I'm going to be honest and say that, while I don't see any immediate issues with Northward Bound from a gameplay standpoint, I'm also just not particularly jazzed about it either. It looks to be, as 1Mmirg said, a solid map that would probably perform adequately. I think he nails my primary concern, which is that center island. I can't see a reason to not cluster there. Shifting the glyphs to the sides would be a good move, I think. I'm also not enthused about the wall placement; they seem ineffective where they currently sit. And I'm wondering why we don't see more road on the map - a good 10 hexes are left in the box, if my quick count was accurate. I'd like to see more action along the roads - right now, they're just a straight shot across the map, which doesn't create much in the way of decisions.

As an aside, I'd like to encourage folks who are submitting maps to think strongly about testing them in a local event setting before nominating. Some competitive experience with a map will really place the harsh light of play on it, and will illuminate issues that might be easy to miss in home games. I know that's not always possible, and we've certainly seen good maps come through the pipeline that haven't gotten a lot of exposure. But this is primarily a forum for vetting competitive maps and I think we're always best served when we get maps that are already being used in that environment. Plus, nothing will sharpen a mapmaker's skills like having one of your maps run through that gauntlet. Heroscape players are some of the most generous, positive gamers I've ever met - but they'll also let you know if your map design isn't balanced, and you'll be better for it.

All that to say - No to review Northward Bound. It looks like a solid map, but unfortunately, solid isn't the criteria for entry to the BoV.
Old July 25th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Titleless

Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby! Black_Charos rolls all skulls baby!

I understand. Thank you for your consideration.
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:17 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

After three YtI reviews, it seems that Stygian Rift has fallen through the cracks. Perhaps the other judges aren't favorably disposed to it, but don't want to say so?
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:41 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
After three YtI reviews, it seems that Stygian Rift has fallen through the cracks. Perhaps the other judges aren't favorably disposed to it, but don't want to say so?
We apologize for some recent inactivity in the BoV. Many of us have stumbled into busy times and haven't kept up with reviews as we'd like. We'll make a new effort to get to the reviews at hand.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old July 31st, 2012, 04:42 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

Just need a voting update, that's all.
Old July 31st, 2012, 05:45 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Nothing has fallen through the cracks. I can't speak for any of my fellow judges, but I recently moved and have had my entire collection in boxes for the past four months. This week I was able to finally spend some dedicated time testing Stygian Rift, and plan to post a review soon.
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:09 AM

kola Woo who?

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...do=file&id=963 I would like to nominate booby traps by nyys.
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:03 AM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Kola, you need to link to the build instructions when you nominate a map. I found the link for you this time:
http://www.nyys.us/HS/maps/BoobyTraps.pdf
Here's a picture:

Kola, also remember that maps should go through lots of testing (especially at tournaments) and consideration before being nominated to the BoV. So unless you're extremely confident that it's the best of the best, I wouldn't nominate another map in a week.
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Titleless

Post deleted. Nevermind.

Last edited by Black_Charos; August 7th, 2012 at 08:25 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios