Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old November 15th, 2017, 11:28 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Gorillinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorillanators View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Quote:
Another tip with gorillas, is use the map, go by trees, in shadows, or grab height asap
Isn't this just general advice for all Heroscape units?
It heavily applies to monkeys because of their defense of 1 and tough, most people just use them as glyph grabbers
I've never been aware of people using Gorillinators as glyph grabbers. There are much better units for glyph grabbing, particularly ones that don't completely fail in response to a special attack.
Old November 16th, 2017, 05:08 PM

Gorillanators is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Another tip with gorillas, is use the map, go by trees, in shadows, or grab height asap
Isn't this just general advice for all Heroscape units?
It heavily applies to monkeys because of their defense of 1 and tough, most people just use them as glyph grabbers
I've never been aware of people using Gorillinators as glyph grabbers. There are much better units for glyph grabbing, particularly ones that don't completely fail in response to a special attack.
I know, it doesn't seem logical, they just think they gorillas can rush to the glyphs and get a shot or two at the enemy
Old November 16th, 2017, 05:18 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know, it doesn't seem logical, they just think they gorillas can rush to the glyphs and get a shot or two at the enemy
It's rare that I see the Gorillinators competitively. So when I do see them, glyph grabbers is a common use for them (or used as the world's most expensive screen this side of mounted Marros)

It absolutely is dependent on the glyphs. Dagmar and Lodin? Not so much. Making your Nakitas +2 move and +1 defense without having to use an order marker? That's worth considering.

As a related aside, I won a tournament with Gorillas. (format: majority of army B- or lower) The army was

Mimring
Greenscales x2
Raelin
G-Nators x2

Mimring and the scales were used to knock out anything dangerous to the Gorillas, although actually that was usually enough to win the match.

The Gorillas came out 3 times in my 6 games. Once they were slaughtered by Kaemon Awa, and the other 2 times they dominated a squad battle vs. Samurai Archers.
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's rare that I see the Gorillinators competitively. So when I do see them, glyph grabbers is a common use for them (or used as the world's most expensive screen this side of mounted Marros)

It absolutely is dependent on the glyphs. Dagmar and Lodin? Not so much. Making your Nakitas +2 move and +1 defense without having to use an order marker? That's worth considering.

As a related aside, I won a tournament with Gorillas. (format: majority of army B- or lower) The army was

Mimring
Greenscales x2
Raelin
G-Nators x2

Mimring and the scales were used to knock out anything dangerous to the Gorillas, although actually that was usually enough to win the match.

The Gorillas came out 3 times in my 6 games. Once they were slaughtered by Kaemon Awa, and the other 2 times they dominated a squad battle vs. Samurai Archers.
Did you find it useful using raelin with them? I usually don't use her because it limits their mobility, but +2 def help a lot

2x gorillas. 180
Nakita. 300
Krug. 420
Raelin. 500
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:28 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

Honestly, this might seem a bit like blasphemy, but I think gorillinators would be best against a swarm army like venocs, ashigaru, or maybe even gruts. Their tough special makes them neigh impervious to any attack of less than 3 dice, and that is hard for most swarm units to get unless they get height, which they will have a very hard time doing on the gorillinators. Nakita agents also help deal with melee swarmers like venocs and yari, swarm units with just enough power to break gorillinators toughness, with their engagement strike.

However, special attacks are still a problem.... Always still a problem.... Huh. Maybe draft an iron golem with them lol if you can fit it into your army.

Actually now that I think about it, that would be a great, and thematic army with similar special abilities:

Gorillinators x2: 180
Nakita: 300
Iron Golem x2: 500

OR

Gorillinators x3: 270
Nakita: 370
Iron Golem: 470
Guilty McCreech: 500

If your opponent goes Q9 or deathwalker heavy send out the iron golem(s). If your opponent gets swarmy send in the Gorillinators/Nakitas.
Old November 16th, 2017, 08:14 PM

That seems legit, except don't ever use 3x gorillas,I will probably try it out
Old November 16th, 2017, 09:04 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post

Mimring
Greenscales x2
Raelin
G-Nators x2
Did you find it useful using raelin with them? I usually don't use her because it limits their mobility, but +2 def help a lot

2x gorillas. 180
Nakita. 300
Krug. 420
Raelin. 500

You rarely are sorry you picked Raelin in any army. That being said, the army's style was to blast from 8 range with Mimring and force the opponent to close in. That allowed the entirety of the army to stay relatively consolidated close to my own startzone so everyone stayed within Rae's aura.

If you are playing an army that is going to lead with G-Nators than Raelin's effectiveness is dampened for the reasons you stated.
Old November 16th, 2017, 09:50 PM

I like the idea of mimring

A strong army would be:
2x gorillas
Mimring
Krug
Arrow gruts
Old November 17th, 2017, 06:19 PM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Its sad that tough falters so completely vs. special attacks. One of their strong points is their movement which as others have pointed out doesn't mesh with pod strategies. In terms of damage output they are just so far behind the 4 man ranged squads.

I'm fine with some units being better than others, but the disparity between them and the top tier is just so huge even if tough worked vs. everything, let alone without. Shame since they've got such cool minis.
Old November 17th, 2017, 11:05 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

Yes, but a lot of units collapse under special attacks.

Also, maybe gorillinators aren’t excellent tourney choices, but they still make fun units to have in a collection for draft gameplay.
Old November 18th, 2017, 01:53 AM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Dont get me wrong, I love the lil guys, they are just uniquely terrible vs. specials, whereas with other units it usually just an ability like scatter or thorns speed ignored, as opposed to their ability to block being almost removed.

But fortunately since my group plays multiplayer which is significantly more casual than cut throat competitive games they get to see the field.
Old November 18th, 2017, 03:29 PM

I could argue they are better in single player than multi, less people attacking them.

A trick to get rid of special attackers is, send out the gorillas just out of reach of their special attacker, and force him to move upward, which you predicted already and can move a heavy hitter to kill them.

I agree that gorillas have their ups and down, so does every troop in the game, the monkey's seem like they have more weaknesses that strengths, but that itself is a strength, your opponent will think they are a waste and either ignore them or try to kill them to weaken down your army fast, You can use this to bait your opponent into nice traps where they can't do much, or use the monkeys speed and nakitas trickiness to outplay them, they will certainly not expect much outta them so If you start doing damage, they will try to attack your gorillas, then you can send out your heavy hitters

I don't know, gorillas just always work for me, They actually can work very good against a lot of high tier figures like 4th mass(run up and engage them with monkeys, and shoot with nakita)raelin(height attack of 3 can kill raelin in a turn or two)Romans(gorillas can outrun and outshoot them with out the romans getting close)and even dragons(fast ambush, dragons have low def, and fast pull back from nakita, before they can react)

All in all, they aren't the best choice for range, but everyone else also thinks that, so when you use them, they have no idea what to expect or do.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units