Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old February 25th, 2011, 05:35 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: Summoner Wars by Plaid Hat Games

Actually I think the game feels more like Magic than Heroscape. It really feels like a combination of the two, though.

It's like Magic in that you build up mana to summon things and cast spells to protect yourself and kill the opponent. It just has a board and dice, and you can make any card you want into mana.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:03 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven Lord View Post
I'm not 100% positive what summoner wars is, but it sounds a lot like Magic the Gathering. What is it exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Are you serious? Look at the first page or the header over truth's blog for the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Did you even look at the first post in this thread? The one that tells about the game, even quoting Truth (Colby Dauch ~ the designer of the game)? Did you click on any of the links in that post? The ones linking to the game's official site?
....or you could try responding this way...

Summoner Wars is closer to Herocape than Magic. You use cards instead of figures. Each card has different strengths and weaknesses as you maneuver them around the board in an effort to kill your opponent's main figure, or summoner.

It's really fun!

Check out the first post of this thread with links to the website's page to see more.
One of the things I like the most about SW is its non collectible. Each package tells you exactly what is inside and there aren't any 'rare' sets.
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:27 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Exactly - my quick and dirty explanation to CCGers has been "SW is Magic with a board and dice, and without rares and getting mana-screwed."

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:32 PM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven Lord View Post
I'm not 100% positive what summoner wars is, but it sounds a lot like Magic the Gathering. What is it exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Are you serious? Look at the first page or the header over truth's blog for the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Did you even look at the first post in this thread? The one that tells about the game, even quoting Truth (Colby Dauch ~ the designer of the game)? Did you click on any of the links in that post? The ones linking to the game's official site?
....or you could try responding this way...

Summoner Wars is closer to Herocape than Magic. You use cards instead of figures. Each card has different strengths and weaknesses as you maneuver them around the board in an effort to kill your opponent's main figure, or summoner.

It's really fun!

Check out the first post of this thread with links to the website's page to see more.
Thank you Obsidian for your courteous explanation. I did in fact find the official site but failed to be satisfied with what I found there. I simply wanted to know what it was from someone who already played the game before I made any final decisions on investment in it. From your description I would say I agree with Killercactus that it's more like Magic (at least that's what I understood Killercactus to mean by his last post), but it does, I suppose have a more heroscape characteristic of maneuvering the cards, around the board, and then I heard something about dice. It definitely sounds fun and the fact that there are no secrets and you know exactly what's in each pack is definitely a bonus. I liked to know what I'm buying.

I find it slightly ironic that I just so happened to be contemplating the origins of all my past neg reps and 4\5 of them were from asking seemingly stupid questions without so much as looking at the first post or doing research, and what do you know I found one on my last post on this thread for just that reason...seemingly. Actually I did glance at the first post. I saw the link and clicked it. Upon finding myself at the site I had already looked at before I exited out. I then neglected to read the rest of the first post out of hand because I assumed there wouldn't be an explanation seeing as it should have been explained by the site.

Again thank you Obsidian for your extremely helpful reply.

Feeling like an old lurker. 15 years, wow. That's half as long as I've lived. Love y'all like family.
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

What you want to look for on the website for all the basic info on the game is the description tab.
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:06 AM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Exactly - my quick and dirty explanation to CCGers has been "SW is Magic with a board and dice, and without rares and getting mana-screwed."

Yes, but you can get wall-screwed.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old February 27th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post
Yes, but you can get wall-screwed.
"Champ-strapped" is actually the worst hand. Having all 3 champions at once.

However, it's not that much like Magic. Very few effects take place on other people's turns, and you don't spend your magic every turn unless you want to lose. It has a much different ebb and flow, sort of like... uh... Judo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:44 PM

Prometheus is surprisingly tart

Really excited about the Master Set... as if June wasn't good enough already with the start of summer break, they're throwing in reinforcements for 4 factions, and SIX NEW FACTIONS! Not to mention how little it costs(compared to prior releases).

L.K.R.
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Angel

Cavalry Knight

Leah Goodwin

Coleen Brighton

Jacob Eldwyn

BGG Link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/933510/summoner-wars
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:19 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Wow. The Vanguards just gained some much needed offense. I see a few champions that I will be putting in my deck for sure. Now I need to do some pre-ordering.
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:43 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I've yet to open my reinforcement packs for the Elves/Orcs/Dwarves/Goblins, so the answer to this may very well be in the box, or I'm sure already asked somewhere, but I'll ask anyway.

When using cards from the reinforcement packs, how is set-up influenced since the set-up card from the starters will have units on it that are different from the reinforcements?

-insert signature here-
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
I've yet to open my reinforcement packs for the Elves/Orcs/Dwarves/Goblins, so the answer to this may very well be in the box, or I'm sure already asked somewhere, but I'll ask anyway.

When using cards from the reinforcement packs, how is set-up influenced since the set-up card from the starters will have units on it that are different from the reinforcements?
You have to maintain the starting units for the Summoner. You can substitute in reinforcements for the other units.

There will be additional Summoners for each faction released in the future and they will have different starting units.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games