Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old July 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Killz is surprisingly tart
Help with planning a army.

All right, I don't know if this is where I should post this, but if it isn't, mods can just move it, right?

Ok, I am going to the SF Bay Area Draft pool tournament, and I have absolutely no idea what to bring. I was thinking of maybe a grut army, since the champions can be flexible, and that way I won't have to worry about them taking the "keystone". But I was thinking, my "deck" should probably have multiple armies built into it, not just one single army. So I really don't know what would be good to bring.
I own
Spoiler Alert!

All help appreciated.
Thanks,
Killz

Killz is kicking it as...

Ne-Gok-Sa, the original OG and stuff

in the
Perth Keep...
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:02 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Help with planning a army.

Here is my general advice to this question....

"Play what ya know!"

This is the best advice to give anyone going to their first tournament (not sure if that applies here). You should feel comfortable playing with the units you bring above anything else. Playing an army you have never played before can be fun...but remembering all of the bonding/synergies etc can be alot especially when you are nervous (although there is no reason to be) or when you start BSing with everyone and are having a good time and your whole strategy (that someone else told you about) gets forgotten.
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:20 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I think Onacara's advice is doubly true in a format like this, where your oponent will be able to draft from your cards.

If I were going to this, I would bring some units that aren't normally seen in tournaments that I know I can play well. If your opponent can't play those units well, you've limited his draft pool while yours remains enhanced.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

Onacara's right (like always). I was debating using a Roman army (which I've never played before) at my friend's tourney (which was my first) but decided to use my veteran elf army instead. It ended up carrying me to second place and I would have gotten first if it hadn't been for some very unlucky die rolling against two hydras.
Old July 15th, 2010, 02:38 PM

General Nilfy Woo who?

I have a small collection so I know what they are talking about. But I would go with Cyprien cause he is a wrecking force.
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Marro Divider #4 is surprisingly tart

Yeah Bassist of Doom, I had fun whooping you at my tourney!

Only thing is that I played an all-new army and still went 3 and 0... kinda contradicts Onacara, sorry

Tournament record 3-0

Check out my Customs
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:29 PM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

You have experience with Hydras though. But I agree with General Nilfy, Cyprien will absolutely mutilate a hero heavy army.
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:33 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro Divider #4 View Post
Yeah Bassist of Doom, I had fun whooping you at my tourney!

Only thing is that I played an all-new army and still went 3 and 0... kinda contradicts Onacara, sorry
An 8 person single elimnation tourney with all people you already know is alot different than a 24 person event with people you dont know
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM

He does have a point although I have never played with any of the people there except my brother and the marro divider. 24 people would definitely be harder though considering all the varying armies.
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:51 PM

tomcollins2000 knows what's in an order marker tomcollins2000 knows what's in an order marker

I agree with Onacara. But if you are crazy enough you can play "bad" or under dafted units and try to draft you opponents "good" units and mess up their plans. But it takes allot of skill to pull off because you might end up with a sub-par army.

Knowledge is Power.
Power Corrupts.
Study Hard.
Be Evil.
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM

Killz is surprisingly tart

All right, I came up with a "deck" that has units I have experience with, and then added units that are good "standbys"
Venoc x3
Mittens 1
DW 8000 1
M warriors 1
Omn Snipers x2
AE 1 (A list 1)
Chainfighter 1 ( I like this guy, though I only got one)
Estivera 1 (I don't know if she's A...)
Theracus 1
Finn 1 (go FaT bomb!)
Charos 1
Niflfiem 1 (Good hero slayer/squad killer, A list 2)
Dummy 1

This can have a lot of fun armies, and has a lot of variety. Basically the only unit in it which I have no experience with it Nilfiem, I never played a game with him. Any suggestions, does this look good?

Killz is kicking it as...

Ne-Gok-Sa, the original OG and stuff

in the
Perth Keep...
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Since you don't have much experience with Nilf, I'd recommend Braxas instead. She does a lot of what he does in a drafting situation and fewer people are really familiar with how to get the most out of her. Nilf, on the other hand, is likely to be a figure which your opponents will love to grab and use against you.

~Aldin, substitutionally

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion