Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old September 13th, 2007, 09:26 AM
has been BANNED

Ullar rocks 4553 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Figure Sizes

Ok first of all I don't know if you guys caught this but Q10 is a Large 6. Second Q9 is the same size, if not larger and taller than Krug, yet he is Large 7. And in Aquilla's Alliance, the Cyclops is Large 7, yet Sujoah is Huge 6. I swear that Gurei-Oni is larger, but maybe shorter than a giant musquito thing. Do you think Craig and Co. are becoming more inconsistant with character heights and sizes?
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
I think they are not doing by height anymore but by how much they should be able to climb.

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Size and Height don't really jive. They are two separate things. Just look at Marrden Hounds or Dund to see what I mean. Their size is horizontal, not vertical. Think of size as the figure's mass (or weight).
I sometimes question height on certain figures (for example, I think Zombies should have been 4, not 5) but the size given to figures has always seemed reasonable.
Old September 13th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Will T is surprisingly tart
Gary is right. Besides, nowhere does it say that the sculpt has to match the stats.
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Ted has disabled reputation
I look at the number and use it for what it needs to be used for. How high they can climb and whether they can actually fit under something. other than that it is just another number on the card. Just like once battle starts it does not matter what the figures point cost really is.
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:29 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I always refer to that number as a "climb value" when describing the game to new players, as that is what it's used for. My noobs seem to grasp the concept of adjacency and climbing much better if they think of it as a "climb value" because as you say it does not jive with the actual physical height of the figure at all.
Old September 13th, 2007, 02:19 PM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation
the sentinels were the joke of the year heigh 5, was change to six, the figures are taller than a agent + wings. but why sould a a sentinel climb? they fly!
marros are 4 they seems small humans, humans in hs have normal 5 but the krav maga have 4.

so gary seems right for me that 4-5 is some kind of climb power. the undeah vampires have 4, but zombies 5?
kyntela 4 she is alive but maybe a girl or not so fit.
but some difference between the soulborgs are there too.
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I look at the number and use it for what it needs to be used for. How high they can climb and whether they can actually fit under something.
"How high they can climb", yes; but "whether they can actually fit under something", no.

Using the height value to determine what clearance a figure has (fitting under something) is not in the rules. The rules state that a figure (which takes individual sculpts into account) must fit on each space it steps onto. So there is no "ducking" under low bridges if a figure can't fit on the space under the bridge even if it doesn't stop movement on that space.

For instance, a Marro Drone sculpt standing upright, with his weapon sticking up, may not be able to go under a bridge 6 levels high. But another Marro Drone sculpt can because it is crouching down. Both sculpts have a "height" of 5 but that doesn't matter in this case. Height is not the same as clearance. Each sculpt has it's own unique clearance or "fit" for movement that is not a stat that can be found on the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
I always refer to that number as a "climb value" when describing the game to new players, as that is what it's used for. My noobs seem to grasp the concept of adjacency and climbing much better if they think of it as a "climb value" because as you say it does not jive with the actual physical height of the figure at all.
I partially agree with this. Since height is also used for determining adjacency (as you mention) it is used for more than climbing, so it's more than a "climb value".

Last time I played Zombies I had one next to the outside of a stone wall. The height difference was 4 so it was adjacent to a figure that was on the other side (inside) of the wall. But it looked aweful -- meaning the Zombie wasn't even close to reaching over the stone wall and this was the Zombie sculpt that is standing upright holding the club over its head. All the Zombie sculpts are short little guys and just don't feel like a 5 to me, they look more like 4. And with a move of just 4, a height of 5 is pointless for climbing since they don't even move that far (without a move enhancement of some kind).
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
The Zombies are not the only ones. Huge, double spaced figures are notorious for not being able to use their full 'climbing value'. Take Grimnak for example. Without any movement bonus, he can only climb a height of 3, but his height would suggest much more.

I'm thinking of the 'Can a Monk Stealth Leap Braxas' thread for some reason now. With Woo, it's kinda become a moot point though, until they make a sentinel from marvel that is 25 high.

Hmm... Concan boosting sentinels- there's an idea.

They could maybe still do more with height yet. Maybe some time down the line, they could add a squad or hero that can climb over units instead of simply ghostwalking through them. Maybe they'll add more units with a Lob value besides the Airborne Elite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Spin Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
Huge, double spaced figures are notorious for not being able to use their full 'climbing value'. Take Grimnak for example. Without any movement bonus, he can only climb a height of 3, but his height would suggest much more.
True, but height is used for determing more than climbing. If i'm not mistaken, there are 4 different things: climbing, adjacency, falling damage and extreme height advantage. I think that's it.
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Wow, I hadn't thought of having Grimnak jump off cliffs. I guess the reason why is that I've never gotten him up cliffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Engagement between figures who are at the top and bottom of a cliff is another issue, and one where height can work for you or against you. Sometimes, a short figure can sneak by at the base of a drop-off without getting engaged to, or swiped by, an enemy on top. Other times, you want to put a tall figure at the base of that cliff, because you want to be sure you can engage whoever's on top of it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion