Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old September 25th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmaster384
No, Halo 3 is 360 only, at least for quite a while.
No!!! The one time my mom says I may be able to get a game like this even though its M, I can't .....

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM

XSI Addict 32 has disabled reputation
There is 1 type of person in this world.

Those who have Halo 3.
And those who plan to kill themselves.

Seeking a great place to Role Play?
Look no further, the haven for great RP is here:
The Menagerie
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSI Addict 32
There is 1 type of person in this world.

Those who have Halo 3.
And those who plan to kill themselves.
I am the kill themselves kind. I always hope my cousin, SPARTEN_117, turns off -1 for suicide points.

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I nabbed it at midnight last night. Best Buy amazes me with their individual lines for preorder and non-preorder people. Being a lazy, lazy man, I walked right past 50-60 people clutching their precious preorder boxes to the front of the non-preorder line, picked up a copy (limited edition even) and walked out. Very strange.

I've played it for a bout 5-10 minutes and I'm not quite sure what's going on. Last I saw I was riding the forerunner ship home while the Arbiter was on Delta Halo with Keyes's daughter and the commander. I'm really not quite sure what the situation is currently. Nobody really explained the setup and it feels different from where it left off.

Of course, I'll probably catch on quickly once I play a bit more than a few shots in. I was just sort of surprised there wasn't more to get me up to speed with the current situation.
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
I nabbed it at midnight last night. Best Buy amazes me with their individual lines for preorder and non-preorder people. Being a lazy, lazy man, I walked right past 50-60 people clutching their precious preorder boxes to the front of the non-preorder line, picked up a copy (limited edition even) and walked out. Very strange.

I've played it for a bout 5-10 minutes and I'm not quite sure what's going on. Last I saw I was riding the forerunner ship home while the Arbiter was on Delta Halo with Keyes's daughter and the commander. I'm really not quite sure what the situation is currently. Nobody really explained the setup and it feels different from where it left off.

Of course, I'll probably catch on quickly once I play a bit more than a few shots in. I was just sort of surprised there wasn't more to get me up to speed with the current situation.
I picked up my copy at GameStop last night. I was in line at 7 with my friend. I was 2nd in line with my friend first. At 11:55 people started crowding the door. The manager was telling everyone to step back. She said that once she lets people in that nobody better crowd the door. She let my friend in and I went to follow him. I was then body checked into a wall and yelled at for crowding the door as she proceeded to let 3 people in who JUST showed up 5 minutes ago. That is the last time I shop there.

Oh and the game is awesom BTW. MrMcG007 is my gamertag if anyone wants to play. I am decent. I'm not super amazing headshot you all the time good, but I'm not cannon fodder either.

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:32 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Bought Halo 3 this morning. Fired up my 360 and played about 15 minutes before I got so nauseated I came this close to throwing up!!! What is the deal??!! Halo made me a little ill, Halo2 was worse, but this is totally nuts!!! I mean I almost ralphed right there in my living room!! Where do I get the dramamine??!!

You're not alone. FPS games never bother me, but I've known a lot of people that can't play them or even watch them without getting a little green around the gills. And I've known folks that are fine with one brand of shooter and not with others. I guess it just pushes some particular "vomit" button in you. Sorry!
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:21 PM
has been BANNED

My thoughts so far....NO SPOILERS!

I don't own a 360 so I only play this in little chunks. I'm not enitrely done with the campaign (playing on Heroic right now) and have only toyed with multiplayer and Forge a little. I have not gone on Live with the game yet nor have I done anything with the saved films feature.

THE GOOD:

1. It's frickin' Halo 3. The story, graphics, music/sound, controls, gameplay, level design (such detail!), and overall presentation are all top notch. This game is made my talented professionals at the height of their game. You really should buy a copy even if you are not normally a fan of the genre. It's that good.

2. Brute Chieftains are the shiznit. And I don't use the phrase "the shiznit" without cause. They are some of the most fun enemies I've faced in a shooter. Nothing beats the pants-crapping in-your-face fear of a giant, armour-clad, near-invincible, hammer-wielding ape rusing at you screaming at the top of its lungs. Sheer awesomeness, and I no longer resent the Elites being cast aside as the game's primary enemies. Brutes have come into their own this time out. It helps that Brute Chieftains also drop the Gravity Hammer, which is currently my favorite Halo weapon ever. Brutes also use equipment, with varying degrees of effectiveness.

3. Scarabs are real enemies this game. As in, they are controlled by the software's AI and actually interact with you and the terrain as opposed to following a pre-scripted path like in Halo 2. They can be boarded, shot at, and otherwise obliterated and are incredibly satisfying to fight.

4. Dropships can be shot out of the sky if you hit them hard enough....finally!

5. Fuel Rod Guns! For the first time since Halo PC, players in multiplayer mode can use the Fuel Rod Gun in weapon form or as a secondary attack on the Banshee. Fear the green fireball!

6. The sound. Oh, the glorious sound. Well-composed music that soars when it should and fades when it should and never, ever feels like it doesn't belong. Ambient noise that just feels right, as if your brain just says "Yes, that's what an alien world should sound like." Weapon sounds that are spot-on. If you don't have surround speakers in your home, find someone who does. Heck, when you are playing, take a moment to just stop and listen after a spot of action dies down. This game is an incredible achievment in sound design. Someone needs an award or some sort. Voice-acting is also fantastic...a far cry from your typical cartoon or game. There may not be any big-name actors here, but it's for the best...these are voice actors who know their game inside and out and deliver the lines perfectly. The sheer amount of dialogue is staggering, and it's likely you will rarely hear the same series of quips twice when replaying a battle. The marines throw out some killer one-liners, as do the enemies.

7. I used to hate the Flood. I hated them in Halo 1, I hated them in Halo 2. After the intiial wave of beating each level on each difficulty, I would rarely if ever play Flood levels througha second time, whereas I would play and repeat Covenant levels ad infinitum, and still will. I no longer hate the Flood in Halo 3. Bunjie fixed them. They are still rather mindless, and still just swarm things, but there is something tweaked....something I can't even describe. It's not just that there is a new flood form (that I will not reveal any info on). It's not just that the assimilation speed and animations have changed....I don't even know what it is. They just act a little differently somehow. Fighting them is no longer a constant pain in the azz that just tests your twitch reflexes. Their levels are actually kinda cool, while still strangely repulsive....one level looks like you are moving through some sort of diseased flood intestines...sphincter doors and all. It's icky, but kinda wacky and fun. I have not seen the Flood operate vehicles yet, which I think is a good thing. I've also barely seen them use weapons....a little here and there (mostly the Marine forms), but most Flood I've fought this time around have just used their own disgusting bodies to fight me. It's nice to see some big hulking Brute Flood as well as the normal Elites, Grunts, and Marines we've come to expect.

8. Skulls add an interesting replay element to the game. These are items that look like actual human skulls. You find them in hidden or hard-to-reach places in the campaign, hold them for a few seconds, and pow, you've unlocked an option for the next time you replay the campaign. Most of the options I've found or hear about make the game harder, but some just do wacky things.

9. There is a toggle option on crouching! Woohoo! I don't have to hold the stick in awkwardly while creeping!

THE BAD

1. Brutes and Grunts use equipment, but they don't always use it wisely. Sometimes they just kind of chuck it down and then forget about it. If they throw a shield, they should USE the shield for protection, not just chuck it and then rush out of it's area of effect. Sometimes they use it well, sometimes they don't, it's a really mixed bag on every difficulty mode I've tried.

2. Marines still can't drive worth a darn. If anything, they've gotten worse. Grungebob would really get sick if he tried to ride on the back of an AI-controlled Mongoose for too long. Woo boy....if spinning in circles is your thing, by all means, let the Marines drive. Iuf you actually want to go anywhere or do anything, you're going to have to kick them out and take the wheel. For me, this pulled me out of the story more than any sci-fi stretch....I am more able to believe in aliens and ancient super-weapons than I am in Marines that can't drive a jeep down a straight path.

3. Forge is great, but not as comprehensive as it can or should be. To be fair, I have not yet spent as much time with it as I plan to, but in just a cursory glance, I've noticed that several items from the single-player mode are not availble, in any way I can find, in custom games or Forge. That seems really odd...why is there no way to use the Sentinel Beam, Auto-Turret, or Troop Transport Warthog in multiplayer? Who cares if they unbalance a map...when it comes to Forge, I'm the designer...let me play with all the toys in the sandbox. On top of that, certain seemingly simple, straightforward options are absent. Things that would add a lot of enjoyment to the game and take very little effort to make happen. It's not a dealbreaker, but it keeps Forge from being as awesome as it could be. There are elements of this that could surely be fixed via Live updates or Downloadable Content patches or downloadable option packs.

4. As I said, I am not enitely through the campaign. But I am through enough of it to have seen what the game has to offer in terms of new weapons, vehicles, equipment, and enemies. I have also perused the item lists in custom games and Forge. I was a bit surprised to not be surprised by anything new. The ONLY items I encountered in the game that I had not heard about through game articles or Bunjie's website were the Auto-Turret equipment item (a small sentinel-like robotic buddy that doesn't seem to do a whole lot), and a Cloaking Device equipment item (like Active Camo, but you choose when to activate it), and a new form of the Flood (I won't spoil it). That's it. Bunjie really spilled it when it came to revealing items....I guess that's good and bad. They were very open with the community but they left few surprises outside of the core campaign plot.

5. No Blood Gulch. For me Blood Gulch is as much an icon of the series as Master Chief or the Warthog. I love that strange little place and it's Halo 2 upgrade, Coagulation. I really hope some Downloadable Content comes along that includes a new Blood Gulch.

6. Jackal Snipers are still maddening and result in a lot of trial-and-error memorization of their positions rather than real skill play.

7. No word yet on when the next Halo FPS will come out. Bunjie and Microsoft keep pretending this is the last game in the series besides spin-offs like Halo Wars of Peter Jackon's side project. Yeah, right. If you believe there won't be another Halo shooter in a few years you need to get your head examined. Microsoft will not allow this cash cow to be butchered for meat just yet.

8. Unlockables. I like having armour permutions as much as the next guy, but I don't like that some of them require you to do all sorts of crazy things before you can use them. Halo never had unlockable anything before (not counting the Foundation mishap) and it feels out of place. Skulls are one thing....forcing a player to beat a certain score or spend a lot of time in ranked playlists is a poor decision. Many players (myself included) do not enjoy playing strangers over Live, and to cater to the masses there should have been multiple ways to obtain the armour....perhaps you'd get a set just for beating each level, or jsut for going online once, or whatever. Playing Halo 3 is it's own reward....I shouldn't have to chug through a portion of the game I don't enjoy or spend a lot of time on an aspect I don't like just to get a cool armour. Hopefully this is something that can be tweaked in a downloadable patch....unlock the armour automatically for folks that don't want to play ranked lists.

9. You still have to push to talk.
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:18 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I dropped the Normal setting for Heroic last night and the difference in the way the game feels is incredible. It's significantly harder, but not just because of enemy health or anything like that. Brutes use items better (still prone to turtling, and the Grunts like to wander out of the bubble) and generally work harder to find cover and outflank you. Ammo is a lot more scarce, so you make use of a lot of different weapons. The snipers are many times worse, which is really irritating as it requires you to hold one of the ranged options at all times, which limits your options quite a bit.

Still, I'm having a lot more fun on Heroic, even if it's going to take me a lot longer to beat.
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:23 AM
has been BANNED

Ullar rocks 4553 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=2
This will blow your socks off!
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker
Okay, I just wanna say FRIGGAN AWESOME!!!!!

I love this game, it has it's ups and downs but hey, what game doesn't, This IS a game that I can play for years and never get bored with.

I've gone through and finished it on Legendary, and let me tell you, they aren't kidding with the Flood on Legendary. Those friggan things WON'T die!

I've only got 4 of the 9 gold skulls so far but I'll be getting the rest tonight and hopefully a couple of the Silver ones as well. I gotta get me some of that Hayabusa Armor,

@ Grungebob

Sorry to hear about the Lunch-Blow affect the game gives you. I had the same problem MANY years back when I got my PS1. Wipeout (racing game) really hit me hard, but I kinda' got used to it after a while. I still can't play for a long time and switching between games (like Halo 3 to Command and Conquer in the same hour) will make me a little light headed.

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupidsArt
Okay, I just wanna say FRIGGAN AWESOME!!!!!

I love this game, it has it's ups and downs but hey, what game doesn't, This IS a game that I can play for years and never get bored with.

I've gone through and finished it on Legendary, and let me tell you, they aren't kidding with the Flood on Legendary. Those friggan things WON'T die!

I've only got 4 of the 9 gold skulls so far but I'll be getting the rest tonight and hopefully a couple of the Silver ones as well. I gotta get me some of that Hayabusa Armor,

@ Grungebob

Sorry to hear about the Lunch-Blow affect the game gives you. I had the same problem MANY years back when I got my PS1. Wipeout (racing game) really hit me hard, but I kinda' got used to it after a while. I still can't play for a long time and switching between games (like Halo 3 to Command and Conquer in the same hour) will make me a little light headed.

Man I can't find any of the skulls. I want that armor as well. This game is pretty darned awesom. I have found that, at least in my game, the Marines drive decently. Everyone says it's terrible, but I think they do a pretty decent job. I haven't beaten the game, but CA is right. Even on Normal the Flood are hard to kill fast. One well placed shot can do it usually, but I ran into a room with about 7 or 8 of them with a flamthrower. The flame goes for about 6 second which shoul dkill them, but I always end up getting killed. Online is pretty darned fun. A lot of people are jerks. I just got done playing the worst game ever. I was paired with a guy who didn't have a mic. for a VIP battle and he SUCKED. Ther other team were just jerks. I single handedly got all 10 kills on the VIP without dying. My partner would never protect me if I was the VIP and he'd always pick up weapons that I needed. By the end of the game I was just killing him as weel because I was so mad...

If anyone wants to play my Gamertag is MrMcG007. I'm pretty decent. I'm not amazing, but not bad by any means and I tend to do some pretty insane things from time to time...

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:32 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumline3469

Man I can't find any of the skulls.
I've found only two so far, but I haven't spent a lot of time looking. The secret, it seems, is to watch the saved film of the level and zoom around to examine places you couldn't during the fast action of gameplay. I think the skulls only appear on Heroic or higher as well, but I'm not sure.

In the very first level as you make your way through the jungle you eventually come to an area with a cliff where you can look way off into the distance. Go to the rightmost edge of the cliff and you will see the skull right out in the open on a little ledge. Just jump down and grab it. Easiest skull in the game I bet.

The second one was slightly less obvious but I found it while looking for a good sniper location during the "stay alive and wait for the pelican" section of the first level. In the area where you rescue Sgt. Johnson, there is a high walkway kind of to the left opposite where you are standing when the cutscene happens...follow the Arbiter's pointing finger during the cutscene...see that building up above the one Sarge is thrown into? The one where the snipers are standing and now likely shooting at you? That ledge is where you want to go. There are lots of Jackal snipers on it.....it's got kind of a curved roof? Hard to explain....what you do is in the area where you fight this section's Brute Hammer Guy, you kill him and then before making the turn to head down to rescue Johnson you hop up and such to get to where the snipers were. Collect their guns if you like, but then continue all the way down to end of their perch and around the corner to see the skull. Pick it up and you are good to go.

I think my buddy found a third one, but I forget where. Some are easy, most are kinda tricky to spot during normal play unless you are specifically searching for them.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games