Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 11:48 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness
TOKEN CREATURES: How would YOU do it?

-This thread is the thirteenth of a series-

Magic the Gathering is a card game and tokens are a non-card element placed according to rules text on certain cards. They can represent anything, including creatures. If a token creature is destroyed, it goes to the (figure) graveyard, but since it is not a card, it is removed from the game and is not placed in exile.

The complexity in this conversion comes from Heroscape and AotP caring about what figures look like to determine line of sight and hitzones. Should we use any figure that occupies the same number of spaces? If the token is needed for targeting, is it swapped with the original?

1) proxy
Tokens can be any figure not already used in the game that has a base that occupies the appropriate space. A token occupies one space by default. 2-space tokens exist and 2-space figures must be used. If height is specified, then the figure must be that height. If no figures are available, then the token cannot be played.
1.2) proxy
Anything can be used as a token as long as it occupies the appropriate number of spaces. Tokens never block line of sight.
2) special Army Cards
Every token has its own Army Card and figures. If none are available, then none can be used. Previously destroyed figures and exiled figures may be used.

So how would YOU do it?

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 01:04 PM

Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker
Re: TOKEN CREATURES: How would YOU do it?

Yeah buddy I"m about to hit this wall Hard !! I have to come up with a way to represent a whole Magic Deck worth of Critters, as I am about 20% done converting ( checking rules, mechanics,and points). Like I said I want to place my Plains walker on one end of the table and a classic HS army on the other and just use one of my like 10+ year old magic deck as the Plainswalkers deck/army ....So far its going fairly easy the only card that stumped me for awhile was Clone.

ALL ARE ONE
Old February 2nd, 2016, 01:34 PM

SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker SpriteMichaeler knows what's in an order marker
Re: TOKEN CREATURES: How would YOU do it?

How would I do it in an official AotP print run? Proxies could not exist. Expansion sets that have "token" creatures would come with those tokens. For example, an Archangel figure should come with a few generic angel figures. In a miniatures skirmish game, every space and every figure is critical. Most token summoning figures should have a restricted number of tokens they can produce. The Archangel can have two angels on the field at a time. They then become part of the same card activation. I'd have them work much like a planeswalker summons his armies.

How would I do it for customs? Reasonable proxies for sure. They should work and be treated like any other figure on the field.

I still think the restrictions on concurrent figures on the field is critical. If the Archangel can just pump out angels turn after turn, they can quickly swarm. Points are a limited resource and should stay that way.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender