Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old July 17th, 2014, 12:57 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Ixe's Custom Units

I've been going back through some of my older units and playtesting them. Here's one that I've resurrected and changed up a bit.

Taking some advice from the Pre SoV forums, I've been giving them a shot with 3 figures and able to resurrect off 2 Soul Markers, although carrying a maximum of three. This resource management and trade off is the real heart of the unit and certainly presents interesting decisions for the Knights, debating whether or not to drop their shields and replenish their ranks.

I've been finding pricing them to be pretty tricky since they in many ways can play like the Tagawa Samurai from whom their first power is based: Sometimes they accrue markers early and have enough momentum to wreak incredible damage, while other times they'll lose figures too quickly and never get to the point where they're able to get rolling. They definitely have their good and bad match ups as well, favoring lower atttack and defense squads whom they can weather and use as a fuel source to replenish their numbers should the need exist.

Any comments and insights are greatly appreciated.
Old July 21st, 2014, 02:14 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks to everyone for commenting on the Omnicron Leapers. Here is the last common squad for the wave.

These are the DreadBall - Judwan Pelgar Mystics. They are supplied unpainted.

Note that there are only 3 distinct miniatures in this package.

NAME = Pelogian Kineticists
GENERAL = Vydar
PLANET = Arctorous
SPECIES = Pelogians
CLASS = Kineticists
PERSONALITY = Tricky
SIZE = Medium 5
COMMON SQUAD

Life = 1 (3 Figures)
Move = 6
Range = 1
Attack = 2
Defense = 3
Points = 60

TELEKINETIC THROW

Before moving, each Pelogian Kineticist may choose an adjacent small or medium figure. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 14 or higher, you may throw the chosen figure by placing it on any empty space within 2 clear sight spaces of the Kineticist and no higher than the Kineticist's Height. After the figure is placed, roll the 20-sided die for throwing damage. If you roll an 11 or higher, the chosen figure receives 1 wound. If the thrown figure is thrown onto water, do not roll for throwing damage. The thrown figure does not take any leaving engagement attacks.

This is a slightly more complex unit carrying a power that is somewhere between Jotun's Throw and the Shades of Bleakwoode's Soul Devour. These lithe, telekinetic aliens are not the most phyiscally impressive of melee squads but are capable of manipulating their opponents and hurling them about the battlefield with their mind once they get set. On a successful throw, they can even move up and close with their disoriented target if need be.

They have the potential to be lava dunkers, but I would not rely on their throwing power too much. Having to place them first and survive the turn can be easier said than done with their 3 defense, and even then their throwing power is not the most reliable. Additionally, that ability is hampered by their limited range and is definitely possible to play around.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ixe; July 23rd, 2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 06:07 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I like the concept of the Pelogian Kineticists, but I don't think they'll be very useful. Like you said, you can't really trust them to stick around long enough to attempt a throw (only three figures with 3 Defense), and even if you do the odds of doing a throw is low. On top of that, there's only a 50% chance of doing a wound. They almost don't have a power at all.

That just leaves them as a squad of three 6/1/2/3 figures. Their movement is good but overall pretty bad.

The one trick they can do is chain-throw enemies or even themselves around the map. Not likely to work, and is potentially destructive, but possible.

I think they need a serious boost. Better odds for the throw is the obvious direction, as would be changing the throw to after moving.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:43 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I agree with scytal that they are really underpowered.

To boost them up, you could give them the Pionic Blast of the Mindflayer Mastermind, it would make them a short ranged sqaud that can shake off melee offender (ie : they can wait for the oppoent to engage them to use the throw power)
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:19 AM

Yeah, I see what you mean about them being underpowered. I was very concerned about them being lava dunkers but the "before moving" and limited reach of the power should help curb that. Still, they carry an auto wounding power that can reshape the battlefield so I am hesitant to push them too hard with how likely to make the roll, however. 14 is definitely a lower bound since I wouldn't take them below Jotun, leaving 15 or 16 as the other possible numbers. I'll drop it all the way down to 14 for now and see how that goes.

I do like keeping the power as "before moving," partly to curb some of its potential (which also allows me to have it trigger off of all of them) but also to provide play options more conducive to their "tricky" nature. If Telekinetic Throw was used after moving, it would probably be largely used in the same function of Jotun's Throw, where you would just deposit the enemy right back next to them anyway in order to still get an attack. By using it before moving, they can still move up to attack the same opponent from a better position if desired or even just push them out of the way to clear a path to another goal.

I'm going to keep them to the single power, Lygard, in part because it is complex enough as it is and also because I personally don't enjoy lose-a-turn mechanics.

Thanks for the comments. They are very helpful.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 10:45 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Oh, I forgot the "remove order marker" part of the Psionic blast ! If was just suggesting a ranged attack that don't need LoS. Like they could directly attack the body of their foe through telekinetic.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 11:25 AM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrgard View Post
Oh, I forgot the "remove order marker" part of the Psionic blast ! If was just suggesting a ranged attack that don't need LoS. Like they could directly attack the body of their foe through telekinetic.
Like Tul-Bak-Ra's mind blast special attack?
Old July 23rd, 2014, 12:56 PM

Yes ! Exactly ! Moreover, the Mind Blast SA has a very short text.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:06 PM

That is a simple and thematic power, but I feel that I am already representing their telekinetic powers and don't need to conflate it with an additional one. Furthermore, I have been maintaining a certain sub-theme within my Sci-fi wave. Can you spot what it is?

Thank you for the comments.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
That is a simple and thematic power, but I feel that I am already representing their telekinetic powers and don't need to conflate it with an additional one. Furthermore, I have been maintaining a certain sub-theme within my Sci-fi wave. Can you spot what it is?
Of course I can : Only one power

That a good sub-theme, and a good exercise, because we usually want to scram to many things on army cards (especially for heroes). I really like cards that manage to make a concept come to live with just one power !
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:32 AM

Thanks again to everyone for the comments on the Pelogian Kineticists. With my obvious subtheme now plainly stated, I'll press on to the next unit in the wave:

These are the Plague Troops from Deadzone. They are supplied unpainted, and the one with the heavy machine gun (the bottom right) will not be used for this squad.

NAME = Relegex Marauders
GENERAL = Valkrill
PLANET = Arctorous
SPECIES = Relegex
CLASS = Marauders
PERSONALITY = Relentless
SIZE = Medium 4
UNIQUE SQUAD

Life = 1 (4 Figures)
Move = 6
Range = 6
Attack = 2
Defense = 2
Points = 70

Relentless Raid Special Attack

Range Special. Attack Special.
A Relegex Marauder that does not attack normally may use Relentless Raid Special Attack. Choose an adjacent figure to attack and roll 3 attack dice. If the Relegex Marauder is no longer engaged, the Relegex Marauder may attack a figure within 6 spaces by rolling 2 attack dice.

This Unique Squad of Marauders is a bit fragile but is potentially capable of a veritable blitzkrieg through the opponent's forces, potentially mounting a whopping 8 attacks. Taking them into melee for that is a bit risky, but even without it they are versatile enough to act as Marro Warriors and harass the opponent from afar (and possibly with the benefit of Khosumet).

As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ixe; August 4th, 2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: edits
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:48 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

I like the "Relentless" nature of the SA, works well with their personality and theme. A couple of rules questions on the SA. Can they use it on an adjacent destructible object? The way it's written now I believe they could knock down the castle door and then take a shot, which I guess works. And can they take the ranged attack even if they are still engaged? It sort of implies they can but you may want to spell that out.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards