Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old January 18th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Arbiter of Peace

Ketch is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
To recreate the search indices would mean

1. first finding all 2 million + words ever typed in these forums.
2. searching every post ever created (currently 180 000+) and putting the post number into the index under that word.

To do this by programming something to parse the posts and put them into the table again would take 100% of the websites resources for a couple of days with a O(n) algorithm.

You don't realize how much time it takes to make that table, but over the course of a year the site slowly built the search index.

To do it manually would take in the order of years.

::Nathan Hoel::
Old January 18th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketch
To recreate the search indices would mean

1. first finding all 2 million + words ever typed in these forums.
2. searching every post ever created (currently 180 000+) and putting the post number into the index under that word.

To do this by programming something to parse the posts and put them into the table again would take 100% of the websites resources for a couple of days with a O(n) algorithm.

You don't realize how much time it takes to make that table, but over the course of a year the site slowly built the search index.

To do it manually would take in the order of years.
Well, as it happens, I regularly deal with databases with millions of records, so I do have a bit of experience with these sorts of problems in general, tho not of course with phpBB in specific. If I were going to fix the problem, I would approach it in the following way:

a) Take a snapshot of the DB as is.

b) Regenerate the search records for all posts prior to the earliest post currently search-indexed. This would be done on a separate machine, to avoid hurting the site's performance.

c) Reintegrate the new records with the old.

So the site is only down during a) for sure, and maybe for c), depending on how phpBB's search tables work. And, technically, since old posts never change and since, for what needs to be done in b) there, we don't really give a crap about whether the DB is in a fully consistent state, you don't even actually have to take the site down for a). Technically. Although dumping all the tables would certainly slow the site down quite a bit.

Of course, if the site has regular backups (which hopefully it does), we could just use one of those for a). Anything remotely recent should be good; it would have to be pretty darned old to be too old to be useful at this point.

c) would probably be the only really bitchy part. But, again, it depends on how phpBB stores its search index tables. If the records are per word/post, then reintegrating them is no problem at all, since you're just inserting a whole new batch of records into the table. If the records are only per word, then existing records would need to be modified to include the older post info, and that would definitely get a bit hairy. Or if there's some other wacky possible way of storing the records that I haven't thought of, then we'd have to take it from there.

Again, I don't want anyone to think I'm just mindlessly bitching over here: I have the resources to help with this project if necessary. I don't really have the time, but I'd make the time because I think this is pretty darned important. I don't have _all_ the knowledge necessary, but I do have over 10 years' experience in general data munging, most of it on large datasets, and I think I could work out the phpBB-specific bits of it without too much effort.

Just throwing out ideas.
Old January 18th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
The site isn't useless for those wanting information. They can just re-ask all of those old questions and we can re-answer them. It will be fun.
Old January 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Arbiter of Peace

Ketch is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Well, reading recent posts, it does seem to have made an impact, people are already asking questions that were obviously available before ie. suggested tournament rules, etc.

Good idea about the snapshot.
You'd only need the one table too (post text).

You forgot part "before-a") Ask Truth if they even want it back.
They wouldn't truck it without any consideration, they may want to change their minds,

I haven't missed it yet, you might want to ask them.
I can write the algorithm/code for you, and you can do the rest if they want it done.

::Nathan Hoel::
Old January 18th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Well, reading recent posts, it does seem to have made an impact, people are already asking questions that were obviously available before ie. suggested tournament rules, etc.
Yeah, I think losing the ability to search the old posts is a little like losing the site's "memory". Definitely something we want to get back, I'd think.

Quote:
Good idea about the snapshot.
You'd only need the one table too (post text).
Well, it might be nice to have a few other tables as well ... for instance, it'd be good to have the search tables, just so I can see how they work.

Quote:
You forgot part "before-a") Ask Truth if they even want it back.
They wouldn't truck it without any consideration, they may want to change their minds,

I haven't missed it yet, you might want to ask them.
Yeah, exchanged a couple PM's with truth. Another thing I was thinking is that, if the search tables are just too darn big, we could always increase the list of stopwords. That might cut down indexing on largely unnecessary words.

Quote:
I can write the algorithm/code for you, and you can do the rest if they want it done.
Really? Well, yeah, that'd be very helpful.

PM coming your way.
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
YEAH!!

You guys will be my heros...again...If you can pull this off
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
YEAH!!

You guys will be my heros...again...If you can pull this off
Well, no promises, certainly, but we're at least investigating possibilities.
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Sorry for the delay guys; I've had a sick kid here for the past couple of days. But just wanted to let everyone know that I haven't given up; it's just taking a bit longer than I'd hoped.
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli
... it's just taking a bit longer than I'd hoped.
Well, that turned out to be an understatement, eh?

So the deal is that, after several weeks of passing some nasty mutating virus amongst the four of us, then a couple more weeks of trying to get everything done that didn't get done while anywhere from one to three of us were sick at any given time, I'm finally back to working on this issue. So, don't give up hope: I'm still on the case, I'm just really really slow.

As of now, here's a quick status update. I have downloaded all the posts from the fora(*) and put them into a blank copy of phpBB. I then started running a great little extension I found which, handily enough, rebuilds the search index tables. So far, it's been running 15 hours. It's about 67% done. Hopefully this lets everyone know why we couldn't just do this on the site directly.

My next step(s) will be to figure out how to merge the search bits that aren't on the site with the ones that currently are. I don't think it will be that hard, but we'll see. It will probably be at least another week before this gets done, and possibly two (the kids' mother is out of town all weekend coming up so that my put a crimp in my plans). But I'll try to keep everyone here in the loop.

(*) Technically, all the public posts. In case anyone was worried.
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Xotli, no matter how long this takes, know that you have the deep appreciation of many people here, especially those of us who actually enjoy using the search function. Thank you!
Old March 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Whoa!

Xotli - you are indeed loved and appreciated

~Aldin, compiling

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Xotli=Search and Rescue Expert. Thanks for your efforts, Xotli! Glad to hear you and your family are doing better.

Newb.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online