Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Old March 6th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: Project Pokemon Design Thread: Jynx!

If we were to go with Option B, I suggest the following changes:

Primal Rage
Whenever a unit inflicts a wound on this Primeape, place a Primal Rage counter on that figure's card. Whenever this Primeape attacks a figure with a Primal Rage marker on its army card, it rolls 2 additional attack dice. This Primeape must attack an enemy figure with a Primal Rage marker on it if possible.

Punishment
Before moving, you may choose a figure with a Primal Rage Marker on its army card that is not adjacent to this Primeape. This Primeape may only attack that figure this turn.

This Primeape may move an additional 2 spaces if doing so allows it to end his movement adjacent to the chosen figure. Before attacking that figure, you may change this Primeape's normal attack to Dark Type.

Reasoning
- Primal Rage avoids confusion with Charmeleon's Rage 3. Also, Primeape doesn't need to attack friendly figures with Primal Rage markers.
- Punishment allows Primeape to quickly get in contact with a ranged enemy that wounded it. (Or, for squads, Primeape can take its revenge on any squad member.) It also prevents Primeape from doing a funny dance (disengage/engage) just to attack an adjacent figure with Punishment.
Old March 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Kroz knows what's in an order marker Kroz knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwsm View Post
I like Option A. It's much simpler, and it would allow Primeape to be a true Fighting-type. Option B makes him seem sort of like a Dark-type who sneaks up on people who've angered him. Fighting-types should be about fighting someone face-to-face, not running about and pulling fast ones.
Here's my reasoning for the preference of Option B. Primeape is the kind of pokemon that when a someone makes him mad he attacks that person/pokemon to the exclusion of all others. That's just the way Primeape is. We have tons of fighting pokemon left to make into those melee tanks. Primeape is one ANGRY pokemon. In 1st generation he had very few fighting attacks and most of his attacks were normal and his signature moves all had to do with anger.

Option A is simpler yes, but let's not sacrifice theme for simplicity. There are many other powers out there that are MUCH more complicated. I just don't see primeape as the crowd controller but as the mano-a-mano type of pokemon.

The way his powers are explained thus far he's not the kind that sneaks around but the kind that relentlessly chases the coward the stabbed him in the back until that traitor has been brought low to the dust. He's the kind that when a ranged squad attacks him kiting will be tough.

Simplicity is great, but I think that option B is actually simple enough as it is and it doesn't sacrifice theme.

Creator of Nowdays.
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:18 PM

NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker NightSwipe knows what's in an order marker
Re: Project Pokemon Design Thread: Primeape!

I'm thinking Option B, although perhaps we should add a clause to Punishment to say he doesn't take leaving engagements on his way to the figure with the Primal Rage marker. Like he's pushing past everyone to get to his target.

If pro is the opposite of con, is progress the opposite of congress?
America is the only place in the world where a pizza delivery guy gets to your house faster than an ambulance.
--NightSwipe--
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:26 PM

wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby! wulfhunter667 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post

Primal Rage
Whenever a unit inflicts a wound on this Primeape, place a Primal Rage counter on that figure's card. Whenever this Primeape attacks a figure with a Primal Rage marker on its army card, it rolls 2 additional attack dice. This Primeape must attack an enemy figure with a Primal Rage marker on it if possible.

Punishment
Before moving, you may choose a figure with a Primal Rage Marker on its army card that is not adjacent to this Primeape. This Primeape may only attack that figure this turn.

This Primeape may move an additional 2 spaces if doing so allows it to end his movement adjacent to the chosen figure. Before attacking that figure, you may change this Primeape's normal attack to Dark Type.

Reasoning
- Primal Rage avoids confusion with Charmeleon's Rage 3. Also, Primeape doesn't need to attack friendly figures with Primal Rage markers.
- Punishment allows Primeape to quickly get in contact with a ranged enemy that wounded it. (Or, for squads, Primeape can take its revenge on any squad member.) It also prevents Primeape from doing a funny dance (disengage/engage) just to attack an adjacent figure with Punishment.
Ugh. This is the kind of thing I was talking about. Nothing personal, WK, but I really would like to see a simple card for once, without MORE markers, you know?
Alas, Minimoose has the final say, so, when he decides, I'll get behind it.
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:42 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfhunter667 View Post
Ugh. This is the kind of thing I was talking about. Nothing personal, WK, but I really would like to see a simple card for once, without MORE markers, you know?
Alas, Minimoose has the final say, so, when he decides, I'll get behind it.
No offense taken. I could live with either option A or B. I plan to have special markers for Kadabra (warning in advance--but of a much different kind), so a simple Primeape would be fine with me.

But it's up to minimoose. Whatever Primeape he prefers is OK with me.
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
My Mask Fell Off...

minimoose38 is surprisingly tart

I think option A makes him a crowd clearing tank, while option B makes him more maneuverable and strategic. I think there are many other pokemon that we could slap the powers from option A onto so we can save that combo of powers for a Machoke or something. Primal Rage and Punishment are what powers I would like move forward with.

Old March 7th, 2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimoose38 View Post
I think option A makes him a crowd clearing tank, while option B makes him more maneuverable and strategic. I think there are many other pokemon that we could slap the powers from option A onto so we can save that combo of powers for a Machoke or something. Primal Rage and Punishment are what powers I would like move forward with.
This is probably the single biggest reason to save Option A for later.

Creator of Nowdays.
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:46 AM

fiddlerjones is surprisingly tart

I'm usually all for simplicity, but I rather like Option B. It's not overly complicated, just more complicated than A, and as previously mentioned, the powers in A could go on many other pokemon.

The only concern I have is with Primal Rage. Are you required to move Primeape to an enemy with a Primal Rage marker if one is within range? Or do you just have to attack the enemy if it's next to you?

FiddlerJones Customs
"I ended up with forty acres;
I ended up with a broken fiddle --
And a broken laugh, and a thousand memories
And not a single regret."
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post

Primal Rage

Punishment

Reasoning
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlerjones View Post
I'm usually all for simplicity, but I rather like Option B. It's not overly complicated, just more complicated than A, and as previously mentioned, the powers in A could go on many other pokemon.

The only concern I have is with Primal Rage. Are you required to move Primeape to an enemy with a Primal Rage marker if one is within range? Or do you just have to attack the enemy if it's next to you?
The question is in the wording. Primal Rage sounds like you have to attack the adjacent pokemon that has a rage marker, but the wording for punishment makes it seem optional to move towards that figure. Perhaps a rewording is necessary.

Primal Rage

Punishment
Before moving, you may choose a figure with a Primal Rage Marker on its army card that is not adjacent to this Primeape and in 8 clear sight spaces. This Primeape may only attack that figure this turn.

Additions in blue.

Creator of Nowdays.
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM
My Mask Fell Off...

In my mind I had the movement bonus be optional but then if you used it, you were forced to continue with an attack. Kroz's wording defines this adequately.

Old March 7th, 2011, 01:18 PM

Primal Rage already states that you must attack a figure with a Primal Rage Marker, if possible.

The way Kroz changed the wording, if Primeape is engaged with a figure with a Primal Rage Marker on its card it must still disengage and attack another figure with a PR Marker farther away. I prefer making Punishment optional--Primeape can then choose to attack the adjacent figure, or Primeape can choose to attack the figure farther away.

Another option is to state that Primeape does not take leaving engagements when using Punishment. Then Primeape will always go towards the farther opponent first. It makes sense, since Primeape is not really thinking clearly.

The 8 clear sight spaces makes sense, but what if Primeape cannot reach the figure because of height?
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:29 PM
My Mask Fell Off...

Oops, I didnt see the 'you may' was crossed out. I think uncrossing that out would fix it. As for height, if the bonus move is not enough to get Primeape within range of the rage marker'd figure, he doesn't get it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum