Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

View Poll Results: To ghost it, or not to ghost it. That is the question.
Ghosts are real 13 32.50%
Ghaosts are not real 21 52.50%
The persuit of ghosts is a futile pastime 14 35.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 29th, 2010, 11:56 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The retry of GHOSTS

EDIT: Personally, I think Ghosts are real. As to what they are, though, I am not entirely sure. The 'sightings' are probably much like UFO sightings in the fact that only a small part of them are 'unidentified'. When people start to look for ghosts, they can usually imagine something being there.
If I had to say what I thought ghosts really were, I'd probably say a variety of things. They could be supernatural beings. They could be the spirits of dead people, but I consider that to be unlikely. I think the most simple explanation that I can come up with is impressions. On some TV show I saw once. It was theorized - and proven - that emotions leave a sort of 'impression'. My idea would be that a strong enough emotion could become somehow semi-materialistic. Maybe not, but it would explain all the ghosts that supposedly go around doing the same stuff year after year. Any way, That's my opinion. What do you think?

Last edited by TGRF; November 1st, 2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old October 30th, 2010, 12:55 AM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The retry of GHOSTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
What do you think?
I think the number of "poll threads" needs to be toned down a little.

I did read an interesting article once though, that discussed ghosts and whether they were possible from a Christian viewpoint. What it basically said, was that there are demonic forces that people could very well have interpreted as ghosts and ghost activity (a lot like the Paranormal Activity movies).
However, inanimate objects, or things with no souls were deemed impossible to return as ghosts, such as a ghost train or something.

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain
Old October 30th, 2010, 01:55 AM

The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker

Ghosts are not real.

There. I said it.

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old October 30th, 2010, 02:23 AM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

I'd tell a story, but you wouldn't believe me, so I won't.

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old October 30th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

If ghosts were real, I don't think the people at Ghost Hunters would have to fake so much stuff.

That being said, there easily could be very poorly understood physical phenomeon that is mistaken for "ghosts"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo's_fire

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old October 30th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Sandy 7-Up

RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness RabSheila wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRedChops View Post
I'd tell a story, but you wouldn't believe me, so I won't.

CRC
I don't know. I might believe you. I've seen some things.

As far as the poll goes: No. I don't think Ghaosts are real. I'm not even sure what a Ghaost is. Ghosts on the other hand, well, like I said. I've seen some things.

Old October 30th, 2010, 01:37 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

whenever I see the words ghost I think of the starcraft ghost units! I don't believe in ghosts. I have a hard time believing anything that lives outside the laws of physics, logic, and reason.
Old October 30th, 2010, 05:12 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

As of right now, I still believe in ghosts. My family has had a history of ghostly encounters, and I may have seen one myself once. I do a lot of research on local ghost legends, and I am in the process of visiting some of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
If ghosts were real, I don't think the people at Ghost Hunters would have to fake so much stuff.
I'm not going to say that the Ghost Hunters are 100% legit, but they are a heck of a lot better than The Ghost Adventure team and the Ghost Lab people. I've done a little research and there are not very many claims stating that the Ghost Hunters' work is faked. A few people say that isolated incidents are not legit, but for the most part, they are not faked. If they fake so much stuff like you claim, they wouldn't be able to keep in covered up for six years.

Here is a link to the Ghost Hunter's wikipedia article. It included some discussion of their criticism, but nothing jumps out to me as proof of their illegitimacy. I'll do more research and post my findings.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old October 30th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
As of right now, I still believe in ghosts. My family has had a history of ghostly encounters, and I may have seen one myself once. I do a lot of research on local ghost legends, and I am in the process of visiting some of them.
Explain please.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old October 30th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
Explain please.
One night, years back, I was in bed late at night and I awoke to a noise outside my window. I pulled back the shades and saw nothing unusual, until a flash of light illuminated a figure in a neighbor's back yard drive way. This guy looked fairly young, and he was staring at my window. After the light went out, I could see well enough to notice that the guy looking at me was gone. I was trying to tell myself that it wasn't anything, but it freaked me out.

I almost forgot about it until one night recently while some friends and I were hanging around in my back yard, and we heard a noise, and looked just in time to see a basketball flying through the air in that back yard. The only problem was that the family had gone inside for the night, and nobody else was around to throw the basketball.

The whole thing is kinda weird. I'm not 100% sure it was a ghost that I saw, but I can't figure out what else would appear for a second and disappear before my eyes without a trace.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old October 31st, 2010, 12:27 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandarforever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
What do you think?
I think the number of "poll threads" needs to be toned down a little.

I did read an interesting article once though, that discussed ghosts and whether they were possible from a Christian viewpoint. What it basically said, was that there are demonic forces that people could very well have interpreted as ghosts and ghost activity (a lot like the Paranormal Activity movies).
However, inanimate objects, or things with no souls were deemed impossible to return as ghosts, such as a ghost train or something.
I kinda agree with the Christian standpoint. Demons that have existed before humans amy appear as human or inanimate manifestation mush as angels would, and either could be interpreted as ghosts. I have sensed both angels and demons and know many friends who have (christian, occultic, and agnostic). I do belive that people can come back from the dead for a short time to appear to people, as my grandma had said she saw her husband physically there (although it may have just been her mind) and various other stories I have heard 2nd/3rd hand including some in the bible such as the Witch of Endor. However, as far as places being haunted with dead people, I would more likely it is possessed or visited by a demon or demons. Psychics or witch doctors (or even Kabbalah followers) who say they are contacting the dead are most likely contacting demons who claim to be the dead, if not a farce.

I know of a haunted school in Rudolph ohio that they turn into a "Shool or Horrors" around this time a year, but the people who run it live in the closed school building all year round. One time me and a friend were visiting with them at their place and we asked "have you ever seen/heard real demons or ghosts?" and one by one they all told stories most of them collaborating seeing & hearing things in the same place and none of them had ever mentioned it to each other until that night. I remember one demon in particular where all their stories said that he/she/it said the same thing trying to scare them, but two of them said that they would scare the demon by threatening and swearing at it and it apparently want away. With discernment I and my friend know it was the spirit of fear and how this spirit works is that by them trying to scare the demons, they were actually accomplishing the demon's objective. These people's job is to scare people for a living in that building so go figure. Not saying that fun haunted houses are "evil" or that Christians shouldn't go to one in general, but this one in particular was haunted for real.

I myself have been visited by demons and I can tell spiritually that they are there but also physically in that sometimes my hands get cold or I have to take a dump (this is just how I am affected) but have been able to pray through Jesus and they go way (sometimes) and other times I do entertain the thoughts and actions that they want. You may think I am crazy, but I call it the gift of discernment.

P.S. I voted for all three as Ghaosts are deifintely not real, and ignoring the typo, I would call neither Demons or the limited apperances on earth of the the dead "ghosts" in the sense of vaguely-tangable apparitions or spirits of people who are killed lingering about.

Last edited by lefton4ya; October 31st, 2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old October 31st, 2010, 02:41 AM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

I kind of agree with lefton4ya. I think there are darker forces out there, but I'm inclined to think they are more like demons than ghosts.

That said, I just watched Paranormal Activity for the first time (yeah I know, I'm behind the times), and MAN...that last scene...

Last edited by Frylock; October 31st, 2010 at 02:42 AM. Reason: *shudder*

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General