Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old August 30th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Got a couple games of Summoner Wars in last night, as well as some modeling work in.
Old August 30th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced View Post
Got a couple games of Summoner Wars in last night, as well as some modeling work in.
Spoiler Alert!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:29 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Not that kind of modelling. I am making hardwood floors for my Puppet Wars bases as well as painting some Runebound Minis and a Malifaux Crew.
Old August 30th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Played and learned Blood Bowl Team Manager. This was a really fun game.

One of the guys in my gaming group has the orignial Blood Bowl game, actually a few of them and over a dozen teams (painted up minis) plus some star player minis etc. I got a chance to play that game a few weeks ago for the first time and it was fun, though the getting used to the supporting units was tricky.

He's brought Blood Bowl Team Manager to game nights a few times, but I was always involved in another game already when he busted that out and played with a few of the other guys. So last night, one of the guys in our group (who playtested this game and many others for Fantasy Flight) asked if we could play it as he's never played the final released version. So I was able to join in on that game and it was fun. It's cool because there are different ways to go about trying to get fans (victory points) and you can choose which matches you want to participate in and how many points worth of players you want to put toward it. Players get knocked down or injured, and some players get thrown out because of a penalty due to them being dirty players and getting caught. I hope to get to play it again soon, though with so many games available for our group, we're always trying different games that people bring. One guy brough in Empires 4X and four people played that for several hours and didn't finish, I might try that on friday.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 30th, 2011, 03:38 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Not that kind of modelling. I am making hardwood floors for my Puppet Wars bases as well as painting some Runebound Minis and a Malifaux Crew.
Curious to hear more of what you think about Puppet Wars and how it compares to Malifaux. As little as I need a new combat game, I do find the card system interesting.
Old August 30th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Quote:
Curious to hear more of what you think about Puppet Wars and how it compares to Malifaux. As little as I need a new combat game, I do find the card system interesting.
I like it quite a bit and it really is way different than Malifaux. Overall it is simpler like a boardgame more than a mini game. The game uses the standard card deck for conflict resolution, but in a different way.

We can certainly play a game sometime just let me know when you are available. We don't live too far away.
Old August 30th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Got some good gaming with El Diabolo, Ironman, and Brownsfan82 today.

Started with GoSu with Ironman. Was a good game that I managed to pull out 3-1.

Followed that up with Small World with Ironman and Brownsfan82. Was a really good game and Ironman pulled out the win, with 101 - 94 (me) - and 60ish something for Brownsfan82, who just couldn't catch a break.

Wrapped up everything with everyone's (except me) first 4 player game of Summoner Wars (El Diabolo had joined in by then). Ironman got hit hard by a Bender surprise attack and got taken out early, which left my FK struggling to hold 2 players off. I feel confident I could have beat either one of the them 1v1, but the sustained assault of Vanguards and Benders was ultimately too much for me.

Overall a great day of gaming and thanks to everyone who came!

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

My niece came over for a few hours tonight, so my girls and I taught her how to play Survive:Escape from Atlantis. She really liked it.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:08 AM
...IS Mediocre

hoju511 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
My niece came over for a few hours tonight, so my girls and I taught her how to play Survive:Escape from Atlantis. She really liked it.
I just finished up a couple games of Survive with the wife, sister, and brother in-law. What a laugh. My sister and I had this game when we were kids, then it went out of print for ten years.
The game is a hoot.... that is until the whole family send every creature in the sea after me. I still pulled out a win with only 4 guys surviving.
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:58 AM

Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Raider30 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Greetings,

As I am stuck in a hotel room for 3 days I brought down Defenders of the Realm to play solo. Last night I really didn't feel like playing anything so after checking out the gaming stores in Wichita I came back to the hotel, watched some netflix and went to bed.

Tonight though I ended up playing 2 solo games of DotR. I had the basic set plus the first Heroes expansion with me. When I play solo I randomly deal myself 2 heroes.

Game #1: My heroes were the Assassin and Chaos Wizard. Not a bad team really. The Assassin has a couple of nice abilities that are useful most every turn. She gets to auto kill a minion on her first attack in an area and she can use an action at the end of her turn to 'vanish'. On her next turn you can reappear up to 3 spaces away. While in vanish mode she isn't hurt from minons. The Chaos Wizard is a bit trickier, though he does have a nice spell that allows him to draw hero cards and if it is a location card, and that location happens to have minions on it, he rolls combat for them and hits on a 2+. Unfortunately if there is a hero there he hits them on a 2+ as well(unless they have armor).

There were a lot of minions on the board as I ran around trying to get quests, so I sent the Assassin to an Inn and used all 5 of the Wizards turns to draw hero cards. I drew 4 of 5 that had minions on them and cleaned them out. Nice. Used the Assassin to draw for Red cards to attack the red general. Moved my CW and Assassin into position and took down the red general in short order. Unfortunately within 2 turns the orcs began to overrun *everything*. I was somehow down to only 2 orcs in reserves. Then I drew a card that caused an overrun on an orc location, which meant I had to put 4 orcs on the surrounding locations. Crud. So I lost to an orc overrun. The cruddy thing is, as I was putting minions and cards away, I actually had a purple card that would have allowed me to avoid placing minions on any green location, which would have bought me at least one more turn, which was all I needed.

Moral of the story: Watch your orcs, and don't forget to check your cards before you sweep all the pieces off the board!

Game #2: Epic game. I was the Barbarian and the Captain of the Guard. Both decent fighters. In fact minion control was never an issue in this game. A couple of times I got quests where I had to kill a certain number of minions and I actually found them hard to complete because there weren't that many on the board.

The generals were the problems in this game. They were moving like crazy. Out of the first 6 turns generals moved 5 times. By turn 12 or so 1 general was within 1 space of Monarch City, and another was within 2 spaces. I really had to focus on my questing and was able to get some quests that helped out, including an ignore general movement card. I also drew some perfectly timed purple cards which also prevented general movement, as well as one pushing back one general.

I was also having a problem drawing the correct color of cards. I had too even a split of colors. I needed one color to dominate so I could take out a general. I ended up having to rush over to the Inn and use the Barbarian's ability for a couple of actions to try to draw some specific colors. Fortunately I draw 3 of 4 red cards(I shuffled I swear!). I then moved to attack the red general. The CoG had also completed the quest (Unicorn I think) that gives a re-roll of failed dice. So I was in pretty good shape when I attacked. I won handily.

After that I went after the green general. He was very easy to take down. Then things got dicy. Sapphire made a strong push for Monarch City and got within 1 location. I was really low on blue cards and it is rough to go after her without enough cards, because if you don't kill her in one battle she will totally regenerate her health. So I had to spend yet more time in the inn, praying that I wouldn't get a darkness card that showed her moving into Monarch City. I didn't and was able to attack. It was close and I had to use both the CoG's quest ability to re-roll failed dice as well as a purple reroll failed dice card.

Fortune smiled upon me though. In the reward phase for killing Sapphire of the 6 cards my heroes drew 4 of them were for Varkolak. A quick run to the inn netted me a couple of more cards. Plus I had a few specials with which I could attack any general. As it was after 11pm and this battle had been going on for about 1.5 hours I figured I'd rush him and try to end it. I had 13 dice to roll total. Varkolak's special power is no re-rolls or special abilities while attacking him. I killed him on dice #12.

Yeah I admit I was pretty worried right at the end. I really had to play a great game, using quests, and purples to the best advantage possible and to have it come down to dice 12 of 13....

That's the one piece of advice I can offer when playing solo - go after as many quests as you can. They can be life savers.

- Raider30
Old August 31st, 2011, 09:22 AM

Played Malifaux and Quarriors last night.
Old August 31st, 2011, 10:39 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Quote:
I like it quite a bit and it really is way different than Malifaux. Overall it is simpler like a boardgame more than a mini game. The game uses the standard card deck for conflict resolution, but in a different way.

We can certainly play a game sometime just let me know when you are available. We don't live too far away.
I'll have to take you up on that sometime. I have no idea when that will be given what Sept looks like, but sometime.

Got in some Warmachine last night. The picnic worked out well, and we've got 5 players buying stuff now, with hopefully a couple more interested. I played against one of the new players while my friend coached her with his army. I don't play against new players particularly ruthless, but I DO try and wound a caster if they leave them exposed, just to teach them to handle that figure with care. Not a kill, just one shot to scare them a bit. Well, that one shot got a 6,6,4 and with no Fury to transfer off the damage, a single mortar round ended the game.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games