Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 10th, 2010, 02:25 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Battlefields of Valhalla Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Nah, I like it, anything that brings something new to the table.
Pun intended?

Also, does this mean that I can make a map with 3x Lava and make the entire start zone lava except for like 4 spaces?
No you could not. The reason is not because you are making almost all the start zones lava, but because a build is limited to two lava expansions.

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Pun intended?

Also, does this mean that I can make a map with 3x Lava and make the entire start zone lava except for like 4 spaces?
No you could not. The reason is not because you are making almost all the start zones lava, but because a build is limited to two lava expansions.
I would also think, a map that makes you kill most of ones army in a "Tournament Setting" is completely idiotic! It would make a competitive game a lot less fun IMO.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Pun intended?

I would also think, a map that makes you kill most of ones army in a "Tournament Setting" is completely idiotic! It would make a competitive game a lot less fun IMO.
Shades Fan! I'm surprised! You posted in the BoV thread with no nomination! You made me jump out of my seat, hoping you were going to nominate a map!
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:59 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Maps currently being reviewed:

Healing Waters by GameBear

Healing Waters is another extremely well put together map by one of (if not the) best mapmakers on the site. Gamebear takes on a very difficult set of terrain requirements in the form of the SotM and RttFF sets. There is not a ton to work with here and he has generated both a good looking and solid playing map.

One minor point about the build that I want to address is the positioning of two trees next to the wall segment from the RttFF expansion. Due to the base of the trees and the construction of the wall, a tree won't sit correctly on it's hex when placed adjacent to a wall. This is a minor gripe, but something that map makers should be aware of.

The map has a nice balance to it. The middle of the map is flat and allows melee to gain relatively quick access to their opponent. One side has an open hill that gives great coverage of the middle of the map while the opposite side has a glyph on low ground. The hill is difficult to fully establish on, while the road allows most spots on the hill to be easily engaged.

I'm not a huge fan of the glyph placement. Being located opposite the hill and on low ground are good starts for initial placement. However, the placement of the large tree in conjunction with no additional hexes around the glyph makes that edge of the map a rather large road block (in other words, you can't skirt around the glyph on this side). It is very easy to stop any sort of advancement along that edge of the map and a bottle neck is quickly formed. However, it's not a deal breaker.

I'm also not a huge fan of the tree placement. The large tree is fine by itself, but causes the issue with the glyph mentioned above. The rest of the trees are not used in a manner to effectively screen any key areas of the map. The center of the map is basically wide open. The two small trees nearest the glyph do a marginal job screening the glyph, but its still open from adjacent hexes. The other two trees really don't block any meaningful LOS. Granted, it's a tough task to really employ the limited terrain to block LOS here, but I do feel that it could be more effectively positioned.

My biggest concern with this map is the placement of the 7 hex sand tile directly outside the start zones. This tile is a HUGE boon to ranged armies and really breaks the balance of the map in my opinion. The problem lies in the fairly common occurance of a ranged army versus a melee dominated army.

The tile gives high ground coverage to BOTH the center of the map (the main advancement area for melee) and the glyph. In this scenario, the hill opposite the glyph is not a vital objective for either side. Melee can't take the hill and gain any real advantage, while ranged doesn't need to get the height advantage that is already granted by the tile directly in front of its start zone.

Even the slowest developing range pod in the game can easily set up shop on this tile within a few order markers, after which, they control the middle of the map and the glyph. For me, this ended up being an aspect of the map I simply couldn't overlook. It took interesting matchups between very strong tournament armies and tourned it into an exercise in dice rolling.

I will concede that this map is great fun for two ranged armies to face off on. The hill becomes a key element and the glyph is a death trap for both sides. I did have several matches on this map that were a blast to play, but I simply had too many that were ruined by the sand hex. I must vote NO to induct Healing Waters.

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old February 10th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If we are one judge short then where does that leave the standings?
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage7a View Post
If we are one judge short then where does that leave the standings?
We will have a replacement judge lined up shortly. That person will take on the voting duties for Bunjee.

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old February 10th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Shade Tree

Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Quote:
Now that is an interesting twist. Those with a full 24-hex army (and don't have the AE or Rechets) will have to decide to basically kill (unless they get lucky) one of their figures. Oh, you are evil rednax.

Nothing preventing it as far as I know.
Evil! I did it for aesthetic reasons! Don't kill me!
Just for the record, I have already done this...
Spoiler Alert!

Sorry for the shameless plug, I just want to let people know that I make maps, too. :P

Sup3rS0n1c = Alexander the Great (August Cave) = Siege (Floating Archipelago)
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:09 AM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Thank you all for your well wishes. I really love playing Heroscape, but I had found that I have been taking on extra work lately and it was interfering with my BoV judging. I should have stepped out last fall.

I look forward to the renewed vigor that fresh (or refreshed) eyes bring!
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM

On that note, I would like to take this time to announce our next judge. We have been discussing the replacement judges for some time and we think we've found a great member of the community to fill step up.

Please join me in congratulating 1Mmirg as our next BoV judge.

Old February 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Congrats 1Mmirg!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:05 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Congratualtion to 1Mmirg!!!

Try to enjoy your stint of servitude.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old February 11th, 2010, 02:06 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Congrats 1Mmirg!

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios