Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old July 18th, 2023, 03:28 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: Kolakoski’s Pre-SoV Custom Corner

Why do you think you are a power short? Why do you think 3 powers is necessary. The simplicity and elegance of 2 powers is a hallmark of Heroscape. Are the Krav or Syverius any less thematic for only have ONE power?

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old July 18th, 2023, 03:58 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Why do you think you are a power short? Why do you think 3 powers are necessary. The simplicity and elegance of 2 powers is a hallmark of Heroscape. Are the Krav or Syvarris any less thematic for only having ONE power?
I hear you. Your words always pull me up short in a way I appreciate.

I have a question, not just for you, but for everyone. Let's assume that Combat Leader and Double Attack are enough to achieve wriggz' "simplicity and elegance" for this sculpt. What, if anything, would you change in her description/stat line below, and how many points would you assign to her?

Nikerym O'Hara
General: Vydar
Half-Elf, Unique Hero, Captain, Disciplined, Medium 5
Life 4, Move 5, Range 4, Attack 3, Defense 3

Old July 18th, 2023, 06:52 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

She'd be 80 points, maybe less. That's Tyrain without flying.

Edit: To add, I dislike the custom with two powers. They exist in an akward space between Tyrain and Syvarris, but are worse than both and would have to be far more expensive than Guilty despite having drawbacks Guilty doesn't. I don't think they bring enough to that table that has already been done with 2 powers.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old July 18th, 2023, 07:08 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Arrow Grut, that's what I was afraid of, but did not know how to articulate it. I think this kills a couple birds with one stone:

Pirate Leadership
When revealing an Order Marker on Nikerym O'Hara, after taking Nikerym O'Hara's turn, if Nikerym O'Hara is unengaged, you may take a turn with one of the following that you control:
• 1 Rogue Squad
or
• 1 small or medium Unique Hero. Any Special Power on this small or medium Unique Hero's Army Card that would take a turn with a different Army Card cannot be used this turn.
Any figure in the above list that is taking a turn with Pirate Leadership must be within clear sight of Nikerym O'Hara before moving.

Unlike Kantono Daishi's Dishonorable Leadership, Nikerym O'Hara actually does something when unengaged.

Does this look OK with Combat Leader or is that too much "leader"? If so, would it be too much to add Elusive 15, Quick Draw 17, Quick Draw 13, or Protect the Captain!?

Last edited by kolakoski; July 19th, 2023 at 08:07 AM.
Old July 18th, 2023, 11:51 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I think you could consider changing the unit's Species to Human and playing a historical angle. The sculpt you're using is of a Pathfinder Half-Elf; their only definitively Elf-ish/no-human feature is pointed ears, which are conveniently hidden by the miniature's hair and hat. The fact that you previously entertained the idea of using a Star Wars miniature to improve your odds at gaining SoV approval tells me that you're not necessarily married to the Half-Elf Species, and it's worth noting that VC seems to value historical units above fantasy units.

Also, I think Pirate Leadership is fine with Combat Leader and Double Attack for a 3-power design, but it seems a little broad. Thematically, I might suggest limiting the Classes of Heroes that can be activated by the power to Rogues and possibly Pirates, depending on how heavily you wish to lean into the AoA-related implications of the Captain Class.
Old July 19th, 2023, 12:16 AM

Well met!

Blue Trails, I hear you. However, since then, I've become quite attached to this sculpt. And a good concept is a good concept, regardless of species, or fantasy vs. historical. If the only objection to the final version of this unit by the SoV was its Race, I might reconsider it. I agree that Combat Leader and Pirate Leadership together "seem a little broad." So, at this point, I'm inclined to go with

Nikerym O'Hara
Life 5, Move 5, Range 4, Attack 3, Defense 3

Combat Leader
If at least one Order Marker is on Nikerym O'Hara, you may add 3 to your initiative roll.

Double Attack
When Nikerym O'Hara attacks, she may attack one additional time.

Snap Shot 17
When Nikerym O'Hara is targeted for an attack from an opponent’s non-adjacent figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Nikerym O'Hara, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 17 or higher, the opponent’s figure receives 1 wound.

Last edited by kolakoski; July 19th, 2023 at 08:14 AM.
Old July 19th, 2023, 07:27 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I don't care for the third power, and liked the first better last draft--its too limiting this way with the third one gone.
Old July 19th, 2023, 08:21 AM

Well met!

Here's where we are now:

Nikerym O'Hara
Life 5, Move 5, Range 4, Attack 3, Defense 3

[Combat Leader
If at least one Order Marker is on Nikerym O'Hara, you may add 3 to your initiative roll.]

OR

[Pirate Leadership
When revealing an Order Marker on Nikerym O'Hara, after taking Nikerym O'Hara's turn, if Nikerym O'Hara is unengaged, you may take a turn with one of the following that you control:
• 1 Rogue Squad
or
• 1 small or medium Unique Hero. Any Special Power on this small or medium Unique Hero's Army Card that would take a turn with a different Army Card cannot be used this turn.
Any figure in the above list that is taking a turn with Pirate Leadership must be within clear sight of Nikerym O'Hara before moving.]

OR

[First Mate
At the beginning of the game, designate a small or medium Unique Hero you control to be your First Mate. If Order Marker 1 is placed on Nikerym O'Hara, then before taking that turn with Nikerym O'Hara, you may take a turn with your First Mate.]

Double Attack
When Nikerym O'Hara attacks, she may attack one additional time.

Snap Shot 17
When Nikerym O'Hara is targeted for an attack from an opponent’s non-adjacent figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Nikerym O'Hara, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 17 or higher, the opponent’s figure receives 1 wound.

Sorry, chas. I like Pirate Leadership too, but I think it will make this unit too expensive.

Blue Trails, upon reflection, Half-Elf is an inconvenient Race, as opposed to Human. There are certain synergies Humans enjoy that I wouldn't mind having. I am going to purchase the figure this week and, if you are right about those ears, I'll consider making her Human and, of course, changing her name.

So . . . Half-Elf or Human?

How expensive does Pirate Leadership make her? Would it help if it were once per Round? Do we really want to be bound to the Buccaneers this way?

Which of the three leadership powers do you prefer?

Snap Shot 17 makes her a threat to all ranged units - within the four spaces of her Range. Since she'll be operating so close to her foes, perhaps a different Personality would be more appropriate. Reckless?

Last edited by kolakoski; July 19th, 2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old July 19th, 2023, 01:08 PM

Shadowking rolls all skulls baby! Shadowking rolls all skulls baby! Shadowking rolls all skulls baby! Shadowking rolls all skulls baby!

If it were me, I'd probably figure out the gameplay concept for what you want her to do a bit more. You have a sculpt, and a general theme, but all the different iterations of gameplay specifics feel a bit haphazard and "throwing a load of things at a wall to see what sticks"-esque to me. I find that that isn't nesc. a bad way to approach design, especially in the early concepting stages, but it might help you to nail down a bit more on her roles/objective as a game piece and what will make her unique and stand out VS other similar designs in the same niches when she's on the board. Commander? Ranged deterrant and harasser? Multi-attack squad killer? Buccaneer/Rogue support figure? Standalone jack-of-all-trades/army-in-a-can ala Kaemon Awa? Going back to that might help you refine things to be a bit more purposeful; I personally would probably try and nail down one main role for her first, and then maybe sprinkle in a little of a second to add some flair/personality to the resulting design.
Old July 19th, 2023, 03:04 PM

Well met!

Shadowking, I hear you. You hit all the nails on their heads.

I have been toying with just these concepts: Commander? Ranged deterrant and harasser? Multi-attack squad killer? Buccaneer/Rogue support figure? Standalone jack-of-all-trades/army-in-a-can ala Kaemon Awa. Snap Shot 17 came to me most recently and, with Double Attack and Combat Leader, combines Commander, Ranged Deterrent and Harasser, Multi-Attack Squad Killer so neatly that it feels like "throwing a load of things at a wall to see what sticks" and having this combination "stick" and "nail[ing] down one main role for her first, and then maybe sprinkl[ing] in a little of a second to add some flair/personality to the resulting design."

Once I created Snap Shot 17, realizing its implications (with Range 4 and Double Attack), the other powers I created/considered were mere, expensive distractions.

Your words come at a most precipitous time and I thank you.

Old July 24th, 2023, 01:35 PM

ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness ryguy266 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This is feedback I'm probably not qualified to give, but I'm not sure I fully understand the purpose of Miss O'Hara. It seems her original intent was to help elevate a bad C3V squad and that's completely disappeared. That's fine; most SOV figures are standalone units. But she has no synergy at all as far as I can tell in this iteration. In the two O'Hara armies above there's no Buccaneers. So there's really no justification for her to be a pirate anymore. To me, these most recent powers are generic enough that they could go with basically any ranged sculpt. Kyrie with a crossbow, duel-wielding cowboy, etc. And in that sense I think the card might have a difficult time getting through the SOV because for no-synergy filler <= 120 points, there are already so many options, good and bad. I think for her to be a worthwhile unit she either needs to have some pirate synergy, have powers that are powerfully thematic, or have powers so interesting and unique that it doesn't matter they are not pirate-related. That way, the SOV will either be considering a historical-ish unit that elevates a fun squad, a thematic pirate hero (the first of it's kind!)[sorry Killian Vane you don't exist], or a unit that is so interesting that players enjoy the unit regardless of strength or a strong pirate theme. I'm with Shadowking on this. You've essentially been bouncing back and force between these three things based on individual's feedback. I would personally lean toward the second option. I think a hero with little to no synergy that is so pirate flavored you can practically taste the Jolly Roger would be a great addition to the game. But right now, she isn't any of those things.

Sorry to flame the latest version, I've been watching how much work you've put into this. Feel free to message if you want to discuss more.
Old July 24th, 2023, 04:41 PM

Well met!

See previous post.

This resonates with me: "I think a hero with little to no synergy that is so pirate flavored you can practically taste the Jolly Roger would be a great addition to the game."

So . . .

Grace O'Hara
Human, Unique Hero, Captain, Reckless, Medium 5
Life 5, Move 6, Range 4, Attack 3, Defense 3

Double Attack
When Grace O'Hara attacks, she may attack one additional time.

First Mate
At the start of the game, choose a Small or Medium Unique Hero you control to be Grace O'Hara's First Mate. After revealing Order Marker 1 on this Army Card, before taking Grace O'Hara's turn, you may first take a turn with Grace O'Hara's First Mate. Any Special Power on the First Mate's Army Card that would take a turn with a different Army Card cannot be used this turn. Any Unique Hero taking a turn as Grace O'Hara's First Mate must be within 8 clear sight spaces of Grace O'Hara.

Bloodthirsty Crew
When a figure you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Grace O'Hara that follows Vydar attacks an adjacent figure with a normal attack, before defense dice are rolled, you may re-roll all attack dice that did not show skulls. Bloodthirsty Crew does not affect Grace O'Hara.

Question: In what order should these powers appear on her Card?

Last edited by kolakoski; July 25th, 2023 at 11:16 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards