Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old May 24th, 2010, 06:20 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!
Why do you not like (Or like) the D&D units?

A simple question. A lot of people dislike the direction the game is taking, including me, but what specifically do you dislike about it?

Personally, I don't like how it kills the variety of the game. One of the things that makes the game interesting is how there are so many units which are wildly different from each other. Admittedly, having D&D characters definitely adds to this just by adding new figures and races. Unfortunately, it then reverses the bonus by (Understandably) making all of the figures in D&D packs and the master set from Toril.

So, in case that long explanation made you forget for a second, why do you think about D&D scape the way you do?

(Disclaimer: I did search for another thread like this, and did not find one. If this thread does exist, please let me know.)

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Why do you not like (Or like) the D&D units?

Soooo I take it you don't actually have any idea how huge and varied the DnD multiverse is, otherwise you wouldn't be worried about any type of figure stagnation (unless your only concern is that now all the new figs might only come from Toril, which is just about the weakest complaint I've ever heard).

I love the new units because they are exactly the same awesome stuff we've gotten for the last 10 waves, just with three extra letters on the front of the packaging.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)

Last edited by Killometer; May 24th, 2010 at 06:35 PM. Reason: I've tried to stay really patient with all the DnDHS hate, but pretty soon I'm going to start going IMax on people
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

A Moderated D&D Heroscape Debate
D&D figures repackaged??
Question about D&D Scape Minis
A former anti-D&D/HSer recants
Elf and Eladrin
Favorite D&D heroes/villains
DnD Campaign: Dust off those less used figures
DnD figure comparison pictures
Other DnD Class Possibilities
Lack of Quality Control with stat cards.
D1 Pictures, just in last night!
DnD Master Set IN HAND
Pics of DnD Heroscape
Since we don't have enough D&D Scape threads...

Just a few of the MANY threads wherein people have discused their reasons for liking and/or disliking D&D Scape.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:00 PM
http://www.wyoming.gov/

Uchiha Blood knows what's in an order marker Uchiha Blood knows what's in an order marker

You can't search 'D&D' because there is a minimum character limit.
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:03 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Soooo I take it you don't actually have any idea how huge and varied the DnD multiverse is, otherwise you wouldn't be worried about any type of figure stagnation (unless your only concern is that now all the new figs might only come from Toril, which is just about the weakest complaint I've ever heard).

I love the new units because they are exactly the same awesome stuff we've gotten for the last 10 waves, just with three extra letters on the front of the packaging.
I did some research and I'm not going to lie here: You are exactly right. Prior to starting this thread, I didn't know much about modern D&D and only had a VERY old monster manual, which was 100% "Fantasy" style creatures.

I was never able to find anyone explaining WHY they did not like D&D scape, which was why I started this thread. Obviously, you had better luck in that area.

If a moderator wants to lock this thread, go ahead.

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old May 24th, 2010, 07:34 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wait, what? The D&D figs are from a different world? Oh, so THAT's what the little bolded name that you can hardly see on the basic game side of the card stands for! I hadn't noticed!

*Checks through cards*

Yup, Captain America, the vikings, the samurai, and the knights are all from Earth. Just as I thought after I read your post.

NOW I get it! I should go down and set up a battle between themed armies from different worlds now that I know how to tell what world different people are from!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:00 AM

Demerean knows what's in an order marker Demerean knows what's in an order marker Demerean knows what's in an order marker

I like the fact that there is new Heroscape... You know, because I like the game.

Oh Variety, yeah. I like the fact that the D&D people are from a new planet, if that is what we are getting at. If not, well we got variety, we got new types of Elves, Elementals, a Hydra, a Wyvern. I really don't understand the 'No variety' thing. If it is really just about the planet, then just do what I do, never turn the card over. It affects the game in no way.

I like Facts.
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:17 AM

DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker DBC knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demerean View Post
I like the fact that there is new Heroscape... You know, because I like the game. .
I agree wholeheartedly.
As long as we get fun and innovative units, I'll keep buying Scape.
Some people keep talking about D&D-Scape as if it is the only thing we will ever get from now on. But in reality no one knows what is beyond D2. Whether D&D is a rescue plan, or an evil scheme from WotC to take over the world, doesn't bother me. I like Scape for all the fun hours it has given me and my friends. No matter what comes out in the future, we have plenty of different units to battle it out. We will always be able to find new themed armies even from a bunch of fantasy-heavy units.
The D1 wave has been a favourite wave in my playing group, for the mechanics alone. It's up there with wave 1 in popularity.
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I like it because I think the designers have done an excellent job of translating powers and figures from a different game system (D&D) into one that is in my opinion superior and more fun (Heroscape).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:07 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I think it's a bit early to accuse the move to D&D as a downfall to variety. I'll admit that I know little of the D&D universe, but from what I've seem there are plenty of figures that can fall into most categories (even sci-fi).

If after 3-4 waves of D&D it's all Fantasy, then yes, even i'll be on the dissapointed side, but it's only been one wave to this point, lets wait and see.

--

Probably the only genre that will take a serious hit due to D&D is historical. Though again, since I'm not a D&D eficianado, it wouldn't shock me to be wrong about that as well.

-insert signature here-
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:11 AM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm afraid to say anything 'cause I might get attacked by those that "enjoy" D&D scape

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majora's Incarnation View Post
I'm afraid to say anything 'cause I might get attacked by those that "enjoy" D&D scape
As long as what you say is supportable by more than 'I feel it won't work', 'they only come from one world' (soon to be not true with D2), 'there is no variety', or 'it will kill/destroy/ruin scape', discussion is more than welcome.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion