Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:57 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: GenCon '13 Army Thread

Might be a little hard making Day 2, but doable. If you do, your home free:

Omnicron Snipers x2
Omnicron Repulsors x3
Raelin
Swog Rider
_______
425, 18 spaces 17 figures (Swog is in there for flexability if you don't like your match up.)

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old May 16th, 2013, 09:53 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

What about an army core of
Grimnak + 3xBlade Gruts
240 points / 13 figures

+ 200 points / 3 figures:

*Raelin + Kaemon Awa / Hydra

*Major Q10 + Arkmer

*Eltahale + Darrak Ambershard

*Sgt. Drake + Eldgrim

*Johnny Shotgun + Raelin + Arkmer / Brave Arrow

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; May 16th, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:38 PM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Mogrimm
Migol
Grinders x3

looks ok

Migol
AE
Grinders x3

is better and for orcs

Grimnak
Heavies x3
Raelin
Marcu
Isamu/Otonashi

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:52 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Waiting on one more map combo that Dignan is working on.
Does anybody else get to work on it, too?

I'm not trying to denigrate Dignan's work, but we have some other excellent mapmakers out there. And no, I'm not talking about myself.
No.

@ Megasilver. I will not release the maps until they are ready, so no promises.
Haha maybe you shouldn't release the maps next year? Screw Meta-Game, that's one way to throw everyone off.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:55 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
One interesting data point from the last few years is the relative success of Glads/Blasts-based armies as an army that can maneuver through the day 1 field but isn't too strong to beat on day 2 if you know how to handle them. Taking out the lonewolf/spider mirror games, Gladblast has a collective 23-8 record in the last two years on day 1, yet those players have a 9-2 day 2 record against the Gladblast. No other build (that has been played more than once or twice) has a comparable record.
That's because those two have played trons more than most people. It's hard to field that army given the supply of Glads.

It'd be a good army again were it not for the hex limit.

3x KoW
Gilbert
Alastair
Isamu

Is a good one, and some people are pretty bad with melee units...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:35 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
One interesting data point from the last few years is the relative success of Glads/Blasts-based armies as an army that can maneuver through the day 1 field but isn't too strong to beat on day 2 if you know how to handle them. Taking out the lonewolf/spider mirror games, Gladblast has a collective 23-8 record in the last two years on day 1, yet those players have a 9-2 day 2 record against the Gladblast. No other build (that has been played more than once or twice) has a comparable record.
That's because those two have played trons more than most people.
Well, obviously there's some selection bias here, since lonewolf and spider are both excellent players. However, Mike didn't play trons last year, and Joe didn't play. They're just two of the seven players who have played 'trons in the last two years.

Deroche '12 5-0 (1st seed going into day 2)
spider_poison '11 4-0
Mattsertruckrally '12 4-1
lonewolf '11 3-1
Jexik '11 3-2
Tornado '11 3-2
wdgrant '11 1-2

The bigger point IMO is not that it was successful on day 1, but that it was successful both days. Setting aside one-off builds like mine in 2011 or cornpuff's last year, nothing else can really compete. The closest would be Phantom Knight hodgepodges, but those have been more hit and miss.

Quote:
It's hard to field that army given the supply of Glads.
Sure, that's part of it, although at this point most people who really want to can borrow the figures they need. But if you don't play it regularly, you probably don't want to play it in the main, so yeah.

Quote:
It'd be a good army again were it not for the hex limit.
Yep. It will be interesting to see if anyone tries to scrape by with 12 or 14 'trons.

Quote:
3x KoW
Gilbert
Alastair
Isamu

Is a good one, and some people are pretty bad with melee units...
Not bad, for sure. In the same vein...

210 Knights x3
80 Finn
30 Eldgrim
120 Fen Hydra
440, 15 figures
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:48 PM

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That last one was my first idea!

I'm thinking that I'm going to run an A junk build.

Fen Hydra
Cyprien & Sonya
Airborne Elite
Isamu

Fen Hydra
Airborne Elite
Major Q10
Red Wyrmling x2

Old May 21st, 2013, 10:50 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

After using Deathchasers to face my army at Dad_Scaper's RTW event on Saturday, I thought about this army:

Death Chasers of Thesk X 4 - 220 pts
Nerak - 270
Me-Burq-Sa - 320
Fen Hydra - 440

440 points, 15 figures.

The whole crowd of Death Chasers swarm forward with their battle rush and then bond with Nerak and Me-Burq-Sa. Nerak offers his defense boost to nearby Death Chasers. Fen Hydra for clean-up (or maybe Kaemon Awa instead to add a little range).
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:14 PM

Death Chasers need Raelin. Vegie and I played a few games and I think he's settled on:
Chasers x4
Nerak
MBS
Raelin
Marcu

He fed me some BS about Otonashi not fitting the theme, but she'll probably find her way in there.

Old May 21st, 2013, 11:18 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygnarl View Post
Death Chasers need Raelin. Vegie and I played a few games and I think he's settled on:
Chasers x4
Nerak
MBS
Raelin
Marcu

He fed me some BS about Otonashi not fitting the theme, but she'll probably find her way in there.
Gotta add something else in there, or he's running 20 points light, right?

How about Kyntela Gwyn?
Old May 21st, 2013, 11:22 PM

Actually now that I look at it, he'd have to drop a Chaser for more filler. I asked him about Theracus, but he likes Marcu better. Would suck to lose by 10 points though.

Old May 21st, 2013, 11:29 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Can I use 10 of my extra points to buy a extra figure slot for Isamu and spend the rest of my 10 extra points on him?

Really, the logic behind leaving Isamu/Otonashi/Kyntela at home is that I have to throw away something no matter which decision I make. Do I throw away a Deathchaser, or 20 points?

Last edited by vegietarian18; May 21st, 2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: FWIW, I haven't decided on my army at all. I just kept winning with it against you, gg, so I wanted to see how good it was.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion