Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Old August 20th, 2009, 02:32 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: GenCon 2009 Heroscape Events

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest ninja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
I just waiting for the day two to be fewer points than day one, and you have to see what you are willing throw away. (Not as the main event, but maybe an auxiliary one.)
Brilliant...

Perhaps not even a second day but a round by round...

Example

Round 1 600
Round 2 550
Round 3 500
Round 4 450
Round 5 400
sign me up for that one!
Would the round 3 army have to strip 50 from the round 2 army, or would it be able to strip 100 from the round 1 army (i.e. include something missing in round 2)?

If it's the former, then multiple reductions like this would really limit army builds. I'd expect to see lots of expensive heroes surrounded by cheap commons that are slowly stripped away.
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I just waiting for the day two to be fewer points than day one, and you have to see what you are willing throw away. (Not as the main event, but maybe an auxiliary one.)
Brilliant...

Example

Round 1 600
Round 2 550
Round 3 500
Round 4 450
Round 5 400
sign me up for that one!
Would the round 3 army have to strip 50 from the round 2 army, or would it be able to strip 100 from the round 1 army (i.e. include something missing in round 2)?

If it's the former, then multiple reductions like this would really limit army builds. I'd expect to see lots of expensive heroes surrounded by cheap commons that are slowly stripped away.
<laughing and laughing> At this point, that kind of micro-strategy about a possible future event is just funny.
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Brilliant...

Example

Round 1 600
Round 2 550
Round 3 500
Round 4 450
Round 5 400
sign me up for that one!

Stingers and rats. 60 and 40. As if we don't see enough of them already.

Lord of the Rings TMG Events -Gen Con 13
The North American Championship tournament- Saturday at 4 PM. NMN1342543
Battles of Middle Earth - Saturday at 10 AM. NMN1344930
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:38 PM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

I thought the reinforcements was an excellent idea. It really changed the way we had to think about our initial army with consideration for day 2 including startzone spaces occupied on day 1 and which figs to leave off the table and wait for day 2 etc. Also, having the opportunity to do a little counterdrafting at the beginning of day 2 was a nice addition. Unfortunately I didn't make it to day 2 but even so it added a lot of depth to our discussions and army building leading up to the event.
Excellent job, and thanks again.

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Reinforcements were a cool thing to mix it up. It makes a 500pt. tourney unique, for the Day 2 players (and in the plannings for everyone's armies).

Old August 21st, 2009, 08:04 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Reinforcements were a cool thing to mix it up. It makes a 500pt. tourney unique, for the Day 2 players (and in the plannings for everyone's armies).

It does make it interesting, although it does allow someone to pick reinforcements to counterdraft the army you will be facing in day 2. Props to Cornpuff for doing it but he never played with the repulsors before and chose them to counter my glad/blast army. I had originally thought you had to submit your day 1 and day 2 armies when you registered. Cornpuff got to choose whatever he wanted and chose to specifically get a unit to beat mine.

Props to Cornpuff for a brilliant counterdraft but it's annoying on my end that my opponent got to just pick any unit they wanted to specifically go against me even though that army would have never run repulsors otherwise.
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:31 AM
the Teirible

Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby! Eirikr rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post

It does make it interesting, although it does allow someone to pick reinforcements to counterdraft the army you will be facing in day 2. Props to Cornpuff for doing it but he never played with the repulsors before and chose them to counter my glad/blast army. I had originally thought you had to submit your day 1 and day 2 armies when you registered. Cornpuff got to choose whatever he wanted and chose to specifically get a unit to beat mine.

Props to Cornpuff for a brilliant counterdraft but it's annoying on my end that my opponent got to just pick any unit they wanted to specifically go against me even though that army would have never run repulsors otherwise.
But that is the entire point. You had the very same opportunity. The reinforcements added the element of counterdraft to the game which was cool. At least that's my opinion. It certainly was not unfair which the tone of your post suggests.
I would love to see this again in the future.

HeroScape is back Baby! Whoo Hoo!!!
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

I didn't make it to day 2, but I do like the idea. For our "home" game nights (usually 3v3 teams) the drafting can take up to an hour with all the strategies within teams and the counter-drafts. The draft is a fun part of the game. I know it isn't practical to try to draft at tournaments, so we have the "pre-made" armies. But the reinforcements puts a little bit of the draft back into the tournament scene.

Also, the suggestion of a decreasing point army for each round sounds interesting.
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:05 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Just because Rev is laughing about that level of strategy... here's an army for the point reduction tournament suggested above (assuming that, whatever you leave out for Round 2 has to stay out for Round 3):

Round 1:

Marcus - 100
Ne-Gok-Sa - 190
Airborne Elite - 300
Roman Legoinnaires x4 - 500
Me-Burq-Sa - 550
Brave Arrow / Arkmer - 600, 25 hexes

Round 2: Drop Brave Arrow / Arkmer
Round 3: Drop Romans x1
Round 4: Drop MBS
Round 5: Drop Romans x1

I think that army still looks pretty good at each round. If one could make it to Round 5 undefeated, I really like the chances for Marcus, NGS, AE, Romans x2

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:22 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I didn't want to start a new thread just for a simple question, so I res'd this one.

How many points were the 2008 and 2009 GenCon championships? Were they both 520?

Thanks

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread just for a simple question, so I res'd this one.

How many points were the 2008 and 2009 GenCon championships? Were they both 520?

Thanks
2006 - 400pt.
2007 - 500pt.
2008 - 520pt.
2009 - 500pt. +75pt./100pt./140pt.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con