Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:08 AM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker
Question Custom Hive Base

Hi all,

Now before you ask, yes I did a search, and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I've got a Marro Hive coming from eBay (as part of a bulk lot) that is sans base. A hive without a base is like a car without wheels... kinda useless.

Ideas for making a custom Hive base from scratch or a link to a thread where this has been done before, thanks.

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Custom Hive Base

I am not a custom terrain creator, but here is what I would do. First, cut the pegs off of the bottom of the Hive. Then glue 6 swamp water hexes together. Finally, glue the Hive to the top of the 6 swamp water hexes.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:36 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I have an extra base...PM me your address...since it is flat it can go in an envelope and should be fairly cheap to Australia
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:48 AM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
I have an extra base...PM me your address...since it is flat it can go in an envelope and should be fairly cheap to Australia
Sure, he could do it that way if he wants to take the easy way out!
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

My suggestion would be to glue six swamp tiles together then put a dab of paint on the pegs of the base and place it on the tiles to mark the spots. Then drill holes to let the pegs slide in.

-------------
Out of curiosity, was this an auction lot of glaciers and a hive without bases? If so, then I rescind my suggestion because you outbid me!

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:03 AM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
My suggestion would be to glue six swamp tiles together then put a dab of paint on the pegs of the base and place it on the tiles to mark the spots. Then drill holes to let the pegs slide in.

-------------
Out of curiosity, was this an auction lot of glaciers and a hive without bases? If so, then I rescind my suggestion because you outbid me!
Well, besides Ona having an extra base, this is probably the best idea you could to.

My idea was going to be take the 6 hex Tundra base (it is the same piece with the same hole configuration) and make a mold and then recast the Hive base, but your idea is far more simple and elegant.

Great idea!

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:09 AM

Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness Adam Souza wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
What he said
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:53 AM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Sure, he could do it that way if he wants to take the easy way out!
Thank you for the suggestions!

As I have no drill Mac122's suggestion is out, athough it's pretty smart... I kinda like my limited set of swamp water tiles (1 SotM) as is though... it's pricey postage wise to get more. By the way Mac, that wasn't me bidding against you, but someone bid very hard against me in this large lot. I went $10 over my max, but got figures I'd be unlikely to get elsewhere I thought.

Don't like the glued base Hive idea for the same reason that it limits my resources, but it has the advantage of being really easy... thanks Tom for suggesting it (I'm Tom too btw).

winonavampire's idea is the most complex but the most like what I had in mind: get a solid foam, cut to shape (I have 1 hive base already, that goes with another Hive), measure and cut the peg holes... but then I'm stuck with hollowing the underside somehow or raising it using match sized craft wood as barriers at the underside of the edge... not the best solution.

I was leaning towards cutting a double layer of paddlepop sticks (kinda like tongue depressors - don't know if paddlepops are cultural) into the shape of the base, matchbox sticks underneath to hold it in place when placed on tiles, painting the lot... but that sort of carving is finicky with every chance the paddlepops would splinter.

I think I might take the easy way out! Sending you a PM Onacara!

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Last edited by CapnRedChops; September 2nd, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:25 PM

millermixture is surprisingly tart

I would just file down the pegs and use it on regular swamp tiles. Also I have used it on some of my custom tiles with different rule set based on the tiles, too. Green camo tiles make interest rules.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:37 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRedChops View Post
I was leaning towards cutting a double layer of paddlepop sticks (kinda like tongue depressors - don't know if paddlepops are cultural) into the shape of the base, matchbox sticks underneath to hold it in place when placed on tiles, painting the lot... but that sort of carving is finicky with every chance the paddlepops would splinter.

I think I might take the easy way out! Sending you a PM Onacara!

CRC
We call them popsicle sticks. I've used them to make custom terrain that fits on the hexes and it's worked pretty well. You could also cut out foamcore board, slap the hive on there, and then use the "paddlepop sticks" to make it fit in the groves of regular hexes. Relatively simple IMO and you don't have to waste terrain.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Really though, gluing the swamp water tiles isn't actually wasting them. They are still usable as swamp tiles. (I use my Hive base as regular swamp water tiles 10 times for every once it is used at a hive base. )

The only down side is it is a set shape... Of course, this is all a moo point because he is getting an extra base.

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:47 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't know about your collection, but if you didn't want to waste any swamp water you could just spraypaint some water tiles green and go with tom's suggestion. This is assuming you have more RotV than SotM, so I'm not sure if this is any more feasible.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles