Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old April 17th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
I will also state again for the record that I have been enjoying Myth quite a bit. It has issues, but don't we all.
Yeah, I *really* didn't want to make it sound like a bad game. It's just a lot of money, and it's gotten mixed reviews, so people should know.

I played The Resistance this afternoon a few times, and in the last game I set a record as Worst Spy Ever. Long story short: I was one of two spies on *each of the first three missions* in a 7 player game, and because of miscommunication, every single one succeeded and the spies lost.

I also suffered through Munchkin Cthulu, which I won. It was good to play a Munchkin game that wasn't too crowded with expansions, but it was still Munchkin, so it was 5 minutes of fun in a 80 minute game.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; April 17th, 2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
I will also state again for the record that I have been enjoying Myth quite a bit. It has issues, but don't we all.
Yeah, I *really* didn't want to make it sound like a bad game. It's just a lot of money, and it's gotten mixed reviews, so people should know.

I played The Resistance this afternoon a few times, and in the last game I set a record as Worst Spy Ever. Long story short: I was one of two spies on *each of the first three missions* in a 7 player game, and because of miscommunication, every single one succeeded and the spies lost.

I also suffered through Munchkin Cthulu, which I won. It was good to play a Munchkin game that wasn't too crowded with expansions, but it was still Munchkin, so it was 5 minutes of fun in a 80 minute game.
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:

That is some bad spy action there DS

Did you wink when you should have scratched your ear as the appropriate signal for "you fail it this time" ?

Fun game. I like the Avalon version as well.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:

Did you wink when you should have scratched your ear as the appropriate signal for "you fail it this time" ?

Yup, that was it. A missed wink, a missed point, and that was it. Worst spy (team) ever.

= =
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:

Yup, that was it. A missed wink, a missed point, and that was it. Worst spy (team) ever.

Good stuff DS. That's part of the fun of those games.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

No doubt. I don't mind losing. Outside a competitive environment, I like to win, because winning is good, but losing means other players get to win, and that's good too.

= =
Old April 18th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

This past Tuesday I played The Order of the Stick Adventure Game. It seems to go on for too long for some people. At the end, one of the players didn't even care who won, he was so frustrated at the three hour length that he refused to even count up his victory points. Which I thought was very poor sportsmanship, since we had played right up until the end, and it would have taken about ten seconds to count up his victory points.

Still, the game has plenty of jokes from the comic strip, which I highly recommend reading. I think the game is fun, even at three hours. I guess it's a matter of personal taste.

Then we played Boss Monster which is pretty quick. You play a monster in a dungeon with heroes coming to attack you. They have to try to survive your dungeon. The artwork is reminiscent of the 8-bit video games like Zelda. It was my first time playing, and I won, which is surprising since it took me a while to figure out what I was doing.

Then yesterday we played the perennial Titan: The Arena, which remains fun after many plays.

Old April 19th, 2014, 07:27 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Thunderstone is so long! My wife and I started a game this afternoon and had to pause after 2.5 hours. We could have played 3+ 2-player games of Dominion in that time.

I think in the future I'm going to do half as many monsters in the monster deck. Otherwise my wife probably won't play it with me at all

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 19th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Yeah, I've thinned the monster deck to make the game manageable. I like Thunderstone more than Dominion because it has a theme, but it can run long.

We got in a couple more game of Star Realms today, and with a couple Dad_Scaper victories, KidScaper and I are at .500. This is a great, fun 2 player game for people looking for something like Ascension but with more blood on the floor.

= =
Old April 19th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Thunderstone is so long! My wife and I started a game this afternoon and had to pause after 2.5 hours. We could have played 3+ 2-player games of Dominion in that time.

I think in the future I'm going to do half as many monsters in the monster deck. Otherwise my wife probably won't play it with me at all
Are you sure you guys are playing it correctly? Ever sine advance came out I don't think we've had a game go over an hour. That's with up to five players and with a wife that has AP.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old April 20th, 2014, 01:10 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:

Are you sure you guys are playing it correctly? Ever sine advance came out I don't think we've had a game go over an hour. That's with up to five players and with a wife that has AP.
It just takes so long to build up one's deck. The latter portion of the game is a race to see who can kill the most monsters the fastest while the first part of the game is a race to see who can get their deck ready to start doing that first. We make few ventures Into the dungeon in the first part of the game, even when borrowing from Vasel's alternate setup to put all level 1 monsters first.

This afternoon we both had some long turns where we tried to figure out what card to buy; or evaluated which, if any, of the monsters we could defeat to decide whether it was better to go to the Dungeon or the Village. But Dominion has some of those same kinds of decisions--it doesn't seem like that alone would make the game take so much longer.

In this game we had added in the Druid Guardian that adds 4 health to all monsters and he came out early. To boot, our level 1 monster group was the Thrall Summoner, so we were even more reluctant to hit the dungeon Hall without a lot of strength. We had treasures in as well, so that made some of the monsters tougher also. Still, it seems like the game should be able to handle its expansion features without ballooning in length.

What makes your games go so quickly?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 20th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It just takes so long to build up one's deck. The latter portion of the game is a race to see who can kill the most monsters the fastest while the first part of the game is a race to see who can get their deck ready to start doing that first. We make few ventures Into the dungeon in the first part of the game, even when borrowing from Vasel's alternate setup to put all level 1 monsters first.

This afternoon we both had some long turns where we tried to figure out what card to buy; or evaluated which, if any, of the monsters we could defeat to decide whether it was better to go to the Dungeon or the Village. But Dominion has some of those same kinds of decisions--it doesn't seem like that alone would make the game take so much longer.

In this game we had added in the Druid Guardian that adds 4 health to all monsters and he came out early. To boot, our level 1 monster group was the Thrall Summoner, so we were even more reluctant to hit the dungeon Hall without a lot of strength. We had treasures in as well, so that made some of the monsters tougher also. Still, it seems like the game should be able to handle its expansion features without ballooning in length.

What makes your games go so quickly?
The prepare action really sped the game up for us. Before that I could see going long like you mentioned. Also we make a lot of decisions on other peoples turns so when it gets to our turn they go pretty fast.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games