Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Factions of Fanscape!

The time has come to start expanding on the Faction thread that Bats got started and I have kept working on. The time has come to add in the C3V and SoV!

[Construction Notice: I'll be working on this thread for the next bit, adding in some units that you know about (like Omegacron) to their appropriate spots.]

(Here is the original thread, for those interested in it. I've left it alone for the purists out there.)

Here is a piece of Bats' original intro:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman
I’ve based most of my thoughts on what a Faction “should be” or “could be” on what could probably be considered the closest to “complete” Faction in the game – the Samurai. Basically, when I say “Faction” I mean a group of units in Heroscape that fit together both Thematically and Synergistically. They’re smaller than the divisions between Generals and quite a bit more homogenous. The best way to demonstrate what I’m really talking about here, though, is to talk about what makes a Faction “complete” or not. After all, that’s what all of us “Faction-heads” want, right? Completeness?

A Faction that is complete to OCD type levels would, IMO (and with no particular logic to back this up) include the following “parts”:

A general, a flagbearer, minimum of three unique heroes, minimum of one unique squad [or other "special unit" development, see below], minimum of one ranged “bread and butter” type common squad, minimum of one front line “lockdown” type melee squad, and cavalry/shocktroops.

Most of these are probably self-explanatory, but in the name of this particular mental exercise, let me break these categories down and explain a bit.

Spoiler Alert!

So now that we know what Factions are, and what the “ideal OCD complete” Faction would involve, let’s see how many complete Factions we have, what’s close, what isn’t really a Faction at all, and basically how everything else shakes up.
COMPLETE FACTIONS

Japanese Dynasty [ ]

Spoiler Alert!

Marro/Marrdens
Spoiler Alert!

Orc and Beast

Spoiler Alert!

(NEAR) COMPLETE FACTIONS

Deathborgs
Spoiler Alert!

Elven Fantasy []
Spoiler Alert!

MELEE FACTIONS (these factions are fairly complete, most notably lacking ranged units)

Drow and Arachnids (new!) (still a developing faction really, but also a melee faction, for now)

Spoiler Alert!

Dwarves
Spoiler Alert!

Gladiators
Spoiler Alert!

Valiant Knights
Spoiler Alert!

Vipers [with a stretch ]
Spoiler Alert!

Undead
Spoiler Alert!

RANGED FACTIONS (these factions focus on ranged firepower—and perhaps really like to draft Deathreavers )

Agents (Now with Primadons!)

Spoiler Alert!

American Soldiers (Marvel)

Spoiler Alert!

Cronborgs

Spoiler Alert!

EMERGENT FACTIONS

Dragonkind (new!)
Spoiler Alert!

Guard Duty [] []
Spoiler Alert!

Imperial Soldiers (renamed/reconceived)

Spoiler Alert!

Kyrie (newly added)
Spoiler Alert!

Tronborgs
Spoiler Alert!

Warriors of the Old Frontier (renamed/reconceived)
Spoiler Alert!

Wolves
Spoiler Alert!

FACTION BUDS (interestingly, these all seem to be melee factions in the works (with some slight exceptions)--we'll see if these remain that way or not)

These are Factions that could be, maybe should be, but really aren’t quite there yet. Sometimes they’re only one army, sometimes two, but they always seem to represent a theme that has some potential for expansion. (Fanscape, anyone...)

Elementals
Spoiler Alert!

Highlanders (melee)
Spoiler Alert!

(Tarn) Vikings (melee)
Spoiler Alert!

Creepy Crawlies (non-Drow version) (melee)
Spoiler Alert!

Monks (melee)
Spoiler Alert!

Warforged (melee)
Spoiler Alert!

Dark Knights (melee)
Spoiler Alert!

Mariedians
Spoiler Alert!

Varkaanans (melee)
Spoiler Alert!

FACTION SEEDS (still have a long way to go, but the units we have really resonate theme and faction potential)
Spoiler Alert!

SUB FACTIONS
Just as an area of further discussion, there’s the thought that some categories could be broken down further. Maybe I’m deconstructing a bit too much with some of these though as I’m not sure many of these categories are really expandable within themselves. The ones I find most interesting are those that seem to point to some type of Political/Tribal/Special loyalties, like Weston/Templar, Izumi/Kozuke/Tagawa, or Armoc/Venoc.

Spoiler Alert!

UBER FACTIONS (Previously Faction Fusion)

If going small doesn’t work, why not go big? I mean really big!

Some Factions just seem more complete together than apart. I put the Marro-Marrdens as a single Faction, just because they don’t seem to exist as separate at all. But this category lists some Factions that do all right apart and offer even more synergy (and at least decent thematics) together. Many of these were put together into larger Factions at the bequest of posters in this thread.

[I’ve left this here, though, as you can see, I’ve also included much of this in the parts above as well. I think my sense of faction is generally more expansive than IAmBatman’s was. I wanted to leave this here as a note of the differences in the ways of conceiving these factions—and because some of these are beyond what I have included as well; they are even too uber for me .]

Spoiler Alert!

I’ve left a lot of IAmBatman’s work here, in part because I like the way his ideas and mine agree (and don’t agree), creating a kind of dialog here that is informing. I’ve also left it because the core of the work is still very much his. I loved this thread from the first time I saw it and am glad to have inherited it, so to speak. I hope you’ll share your thoughts and help us all rough out the unofficial factions of Heroscape. --Mmirg

Last edited by 1Mmirg; June 1st, 2012 at 11:18 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs