Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old June 18th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker
Introducing Heroscape to a large unrelated forum

I couldn't decide if this was the right sub-forum to post this in- apologies if not

I need some advice. I post fairly often (4200 posts at the moment) on another forum that is completely unrelated to Heroscape. It's an NBA Live forum (even though I stopped really playing the NBA Live series a long time ago- there are some good off-topic discussions there, too). It has a pretty large active member base, over 30,000 registered and a few thousand active. Usually about 100 online.

Last night I decided to start a thread in the off-topic section about Heroscape. I took about 45 minutes typing up a fairly simple explanation of the game's mechanics/rules/etc. I felt I put it together fairly well.

I knew the response might not be golden, but it was actually pretty bad. Here are some samples:

Quote:
Oh my God, you're one of those guys! Every time I walk past one of those game places I peer inside and chuckle at the grown men playing with figurines, seriously, EVERY time without fail. Now I can say I know one! I am more happy about this than I probably should be.
Quote:
Oh my...
And another was a link to the Spaceballs clip where Lord Helmet is playing with his dolls. I also made the mistake of using the word "unit" instead of "figure", so at one point during the short combat scenario, I said "Bob's unit"... that one was admittedly funny.

I was planning on posting some more about custom terrain and figure painting, to try to get some folks interested (or bring those who are interested out of the woodwork). But then those responses happened. It doesn't personally bother me enough to deter me, but... the advice I seek is... do you think I should continue with posting further information? I'm torn because I don't want to just stir up any more negativity like that that might deter someone away from being interested.

I'm selling a bunch of Heroscape stuff to pay for personal emergencies, please see my trade thread post: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=6803
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:49 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Introducing Heroscape to a large unrelated forum

For all those who will take the time to post negative responses, I bet there are just as many who are at least willing to check it out, but won't reply in order to avoid the wrath of those previously mentioned.

Just make sure you include some links over here. If you show them, they will come.

-insert signature here-
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Much worse then grown men playing a video game against other grown men online.
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
I know, right? Heaven forbid brains, art, getting up off the couch, and human interaction (in person) be a part of a game.

And yeah, I did indeed include a link over here, hopefully someone with good intentions will follow it.

Do you guys think I should just leave it at the basic introduction that I posted? I'm not sure that adding any more would be a good idea at this point.

I'm selling a bunch of Heroscape stuff to pay for personal emergencies, please see my trade thread post: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=6803
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwing17 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
I know, right? Heaven forbid brains, art, getting up off the couch, and human interaction (in person) be a part of a game.

And yeah, I did indeed include a link over here, hopefully someone with good intentions will follow it.

Do you guys think I should just leave it at the basic introduction that I posted? I'm not sure that adding any more would be a good idea at this point.
Maybe back-up and talk about the big picture more? I don't think more details will help, but pointing out some similarities to that community's hobby and noting some differences that come out in Heroscape's favour could work.
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

I wouldn't bother with custom terrain and pieces yet.

One of Heroscape's benefits is it's out-of-the box playability. If you start talking about custom pieces you may drown interested persons in the belief that things are more complex than they need to be.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I'd just say to drop it. If there is a link over here, the ones that might be/get interested will find their way over here where they don't have to worry about a neanderthal peanut gallery heckling any post they make.
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:35 PM

I think I may agree. I just cut out the parts about 'more to come' and added a banner/link to this site with a welcoming message.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online