Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old December 18th, 2015, 08:03 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Book of Shades of Bleakewoode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Yet again, the ranking system could use a serious re haul for some units, these in particular. Easily worth at least a B rating, IMO.
Although the C3V's Crypt Guardian can double their chances of success with Soul Devour, the Shades are simply too anti-hero and too expensive to be anything higher than a C.

~TAF, who thinks Shades are cool, just not competitive
When used in groups, I tend to disagree, but as a single squad, I agree, they're not worth the points.

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old December 18th, 2015, 08:42 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Here's a simple way to look at it: take 5x Shades and compare it to some reasonable group of competitive 500 point armies. One cool option would be to roll a d20 and grab something from 1Mmrig's classification of the Gencon 2011 armies (bottom spoiler in the first post of the thread).

There are a couple armies there where the Shades player has a decent chance to win if the other player is too reckless, but even with most of those I would give the other army an edge if it's two strong players. In the case of most of those matchups it's pretty much over from the word go.
Old December 18th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

3xShades, Fen Hydra and Raelin would be very interesting. you have a good shot against Dragon, Solberg hero and a couple of other big hero armies.

Still a bit of a gambit. If I knew everyone had to bring 2/5th unique heroes and the other players were better than me this is likeily the way I would go.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old December 19th, 2015, 09:22 AM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney View Post
See, I never had much luck with the Shades; they seem pretty pricey for just the three of them. Then again, I've only used them on a few occasions, so maybe it's due to my lack of practice with them. I'm content with their ratings.

~JS, who wouldn't likely attribute his negative opinion of the Shades to his lack of experience with them, but it's a possibility
Yeah, I've been using them alot the past few months, and the more the merrier when it comes to them. You need to roll that D20 as often as possible to get the magic number(s). As a single squad, they aren't worth the points, IMO, but in 2-4 groups, watch out!
How do they seem to handle 10th or 4th, out of curiosity? Or even Stingers or Minions? They just seem a little pricy for taking on other common squad units like that.

~JS, just wondering
Old December 19th, 2015, 04:37 PM

Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby! Sir Yeshua rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
See, I never had much luck with the Shades; they seem pretty pricey for just the three of them. Then again, I've only used them on a few occasions, so maybe it's due to my lack of practice with them. I'm content with their ratings.

~JS, who wouldn't likely attribute his negative opinion of the Shades to his lack of experience with them, but it's a possibility
Yeah, I've been using them alot the past few months, and the more the merrier when it comes to them. You need to roll that D20 as often as possible to get the magic number(s). As a single squad, they aren't worth the points, IMO, but in 2-4 groups, watch out!
How do they seem to handle 10th or 4th, out of curiosity? Or even Stingers or Minions? They just seem a little pricy for taking on other common squad units like that.

~JS, just wondering
Basically that. I don't have a ton of tourney experience, but only throwing a max of 9 dice melee isn't gonna be able to do crap with the squad heavy meta where you've got armies throwing 15-16 dice at range, which makes it more consistent...

Still lots of fun in dungeon crawls and casual games, with some potential as a counter draft, but they'll usually get fried before they can do anything.
Old December 19th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Yeshua View Post
Still lots of fun in dungeon crawls and casual games, with some potential as a counter draft, but they'll usually get fried before they can do anything.
I think that sums their competitive value. Heroscape was never meant to always be played in one single way (500 points, 24-hexes), so some units will always be better in some scenarios than others, and the Shades are one of those units. Whenever I do any Heroscape dungeon crawls, the Shades are one of the most dreaded enemies to come across. The same can be said of similar units like the Deathstalkers.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old June 12th, 2016, 03:33 PM

Snuffelupecus is surprisingly tart

Ok question.. So if you have 2 shades of bleakewoode squads, you can activate one army card and soul devour with all 6. It says on a 19 or 20 DESTROY THE SHADES OF BLEAKEWOODE and take control of the hero. So if I roll a d20 for one of my shades that is adj to a hero and i make the roll.. so do I destroy ALL 6 of them and take control of the hero? thats my interpretation of it when i read the power.
Old June 12th, 2016, 03:43 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffelupecus View Post
Ok question.. So if you have 2 shades of bleakewoode squads, you can activate one army card and soul devour with all 6. It says on a 19 or 20 DESTROY THE SHADES OF BLEAKEWOODE and take control of the hero. So if I roll a d20 for one of my shades that is adj to a hero and i make the roll.. so do I destroy ALL 6 of them and take control of the hero? thats my interpretation of it when i read the power.
First, no. You only destroy the Shade that was adjacent to the hero when you take control of it.

Second, welcome to the site! If you have any more questions, make sure to put them here, at the Question Dump.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old June 30th, 2019, 11:47 PM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Question, if I attempt to soul devour, after I complete that, am I allowed to then move and attack with them? What's tripping me up is it says before I move I may soul devour.
Old July 1st, 2019, 12:01 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Yeah, as long as they were not destroyed by a successful d20 roll.
Old July 1st, 2019, 12:04 AM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Yeah, as long as they were not destroyed by a successful d20 roll.
Thanks! They seem somewhat more useful now.
Old December 14th, 2019, 08:53 AM

Snuffelupecus is surprisingly tart

I like using 2 of the bleake squads with Crypt Guardian. He adds 2 to the Soul Devour Roll. And theres also Bodgan, who bonds with them.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units