Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Playgrounds of Valhalla

I don't know that Burning Barracks is ready for BOV or not, because it doesn't sound like its been playtested. I only took a passing glance.

But what I do like about Burning Barracks is the "outside-the-box" thinking that it incorporates. And who knows, if its playtested and no problems are found, it might be ready to be considered by BOV.

I don't think I'm alone in the thinking now that BOV should encourage some ways to do things that maybe would not have been considered in it's earlier year or so.
Old March 7th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I've added my latest map Mole Hills: Hellbound (a mod of Jonathan's Mole Hills) to the display post. It takes a lava mod of the original that I've used a bunch (but never virtualscaped) and also uses Kolakoski's idea of adding shadow tiles to an existing map. It uses so little of its terrain that it's screaming out for a buddy. That'll be my next project.

Other playground musings. Uncapped pillars seem to be the poster child for useful map-building tricks that we don't want on best-of-the-best BoV maps. What others are there? A start zone that doesn't accomodate the Hive without a special rule is one---I've added Bengi's normandy Beach to the display post in this category. Others I can't find maps for: ladders that end on water, stacked water (or other height 0) tiles. What other categories are there. Any tricks you're inspired to use?

That's really interesting Riggler. Anything in particular you have in mind?

Last edited by ollie; March 7th, 2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Shade Tree

Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Any tricks you're inspired to use?
Well, I've got two...
-single ladders at the top of pillars to be used as stepping stones between pillars
-archer slits; basically placing two battlements on a hex under a pillar or other such thing pulled down until it touches the top of the battlements, in between two more pillars. I've made some awesome castles with this technique, and though I've yet to put it to practical use, I think it has some wonderful potential if done right.
An example of the second:
Spoiler Alert!

Sup3rS0n1c = Alexander the Great (August Cave) = Siege (Floating Archipelago)
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The road wall or jungle pieces not being properly connected.

A map that goes against BoV build requirements slightly, (two castle, swamp, or marvel sets, lexan mat).

Last edited by rednax; March 9th, 2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sup3rS0n1c View Post
-archer slits; basically placing two battlements on a hex under a pillar or other such thing pulled down until it touches the top of the battlements, in between two more pillars. I've made some awesome castles with this technique, and though I've yet to put it to practical use, I think it has some wonderful potential if done right.
Spoiler Alert!
Hey Sup3rS0n1c, How big is that space under the center column? I'll try throwing that build together when I get home, but I really don't think that anything much bigger than a repulsor could actually fit under there.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn F M View Post
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!
Hey Sup3rS0n1c, How big is that space under the center column? I'll try throwing that build together when I get home, but I really don't think that anything much bigger than a repulsor could actually fit under there.
Actually, battlements are roughly 5 spaces tall.
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:37 PM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The space underneath the column would be 4 levels tall. Battlements are 5 levels high but that bottom level is attached to the base tile. Not many figures can fit in that space. Of course you could adjust the height of your window easy enough.
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!
Isn't that from the outside though? I could swear you'd only have a space 3-4 hexes tall on the inside (though there would be extra headroom under the FotA base).

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

You are correct my mistake.
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Shade Tree

Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sup3rS0n1c wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Spoiler Alert!
Isn't that from the outside though? I could swear you'd only have a space 3-4 hexes tall on the inside (though there would be extra headroom under the FotA base).
Well, I guess it would be about four, but I never took the time to do the math and count the spaces, thus just letting any 5 heights under there. :P

Still, raising the middle pillar just one hex could allow for legal placements of those figures. Though this project's goal is not exactly legality.

Edit: Annnddd, I completely overlooked AliasQTip's comment. :P
He's right, though.

Old March 9th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Shade Tree

Sorry for the double post, just wanted go get this up here.
Quote:
The road wall or jungle pieces not being properly connected.
Oooh, building on that, I have ideas for a map including something like this:
Spoiler Alert!

Old March 9th, 2010, 11:07 PM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

Another rather interesting thing you can do with ladders is put them underneath the edge of a piece as a support, essentially having the piece rest upon the space between the adjoining side and the little "nubs" on the ladder (you can make slightly larger overhangs using this method).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios