Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:31 PM

LazySoul4 Woo who?
Would Appreciate Some Help

Im trying to work a "horror" themed army that could still be used competatively in the 500 point range. I usually only play with family members and friends and my brother always brings the Glads/Blasts with Q9 and Laglor. Cyprien is my favorite character so im trying to base it around him and Sonya. Ive been trying to wrap my mind around a way to use the Wolves of Bardu/Zombies but every time i step away and do an overlook it appears Q9 will be a HUGE problem. I have atleast 1 of every wave except for, i believe wave 9? and on. Thanks in advance.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Would Appreciate Some Help

Anubian Wolves. Their defense of 4 and variable attack make them well suited for taking out Q9. Since your brother likes Soulborgs, Cyprien might not be your best figure in a battle against him. Depending on your definition of horror, Marro Stingers or Braxas could provide support against the Glad/Blasts.

~Aldin, wondering if you'd be willing to list the available 'horror" figures you have (including multiples of squads)

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:43 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Give the omnicron repulsors scary masks.

All kidding aside, I think Torin or Gurei-Oni would be a good counter to the Blasts/Glad combo.

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Do you have multiples?

If you think you'll be going up against mainly soulborgs then steering clear of Cyprien is probably wise.

If you like wolves then maybe consider:

Khosumet: 75
Anubian Wolves x5: 375
Dumutef Guard x2: 50

The Anubians can be swingy, but when they fire (which they will at some point if you take five squads with Khosumet) they can take down anyone. Especially Q9.

Depending on how wide you are willing to stretch your definition of horror, Minions of Utgar and Krug are both good against Q9.

Edit. Or... "what Aldin said."
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM

LazySoul4 Woo who?

I forgot about the Anubians.

As for horror figures in my possession. (I dont care for the marro so i try not to use them)

Vampire Family
Khosmut
Anubian Wolves x1
Wolves of Bardu x2
Zombies x6

I was also thinking of using the 10th Regiment just because they are cool, and the red coats have somewhat of a visual synergy with Cyp.

Also the reason i keep Cyp in is that we usually play a 4 man FFA or 2v2 its rare for a 1v1 so he is my answer towards other armies used such as Orcs, Knights, and Samurai.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 01:46 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

To kill Q9, Krug is usually a good choice. To deal with the Glads/Blasts/Laglor, try the Phantom Knights. The Phanotm Knights can fly over the Glads and take out the Blasts. A giant green monster with a meat cleaver and ghost knights sounds like a "horror" themed army to me.

120 Krug
350 Phantom Knights x 5
20 Marcu
490 18 hexes

You could switch the Dumutef Guard or Sahuagin Raider for Marcu if you think that they are more thematic, but I'd prefer Marcu.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:03 PM

LazySoul4 Woo who?

Are the phantom knights in a booster wave or the dd master set?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:16 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazySoul4 View Post
Are the phantom knights in a booster wave or the dd master set?
They are in the D1 booster with the Fen Hydra. The good news is that you are getting multiples of a good squad with multiples of a good uncommon hero.

By the way, your brother is playing a very strong army. The Krug/PK army should be competitive against it.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:15 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Dude, beat your brother to the pile and snag Q9 for yourself.

Zombies x5
Q9
Marcu

That's a mean army, and Q9 is pretty scary himself. If you're a metallica fan, listen to Harvester of Sorrow and think of that army. Awesome.

If your brother simply cannot part with Q9, try:

Zombies x5
Q10
Iskra

Robots are scary, right?

(oh yeah, phantom knights are in wave D1, and just came out)
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM

LazySoul4 Woo who?

Alright so for

500pts
Cyp
Sonya
PK x2
10th x2. 485pts

For a higher point game (playing a 750 tonight) should I just add in a set of AW and WoB x2? Or just go in a different direction all together?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM

LazySoul4 Woo who?

Alright so for

500pts
Cyp
Sonya
PK x2
10th x2. 485pts

For a higher point game (playing a 750 tonight) should I just add in a set of AW and WoB x2? Or just go in a different direction all together?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazySoul4 View Post
Alright so for

500pts
Cyp
Sonya
PK x2
10th x2. 485pts

As Aldin said earlier, Cyprien is not particularly good against soulborgs. I would go with Krug, Anubians, PK's, as good counters that are horror themed. I don't know if you have them or not. If not, you can always proxy.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion