Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old October 2nd, 2022, 09:04 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
People are always going to have a knee-jerk reaction against change, especially if those people are mostly drawn to something based on nostalgia. Marketing primarily on nostalgia and then making what will scan for a lot of folks as unnecessary aesthetic changes is walking a dangerous line, IMO.

(I have no issues with the card shape changes or anything, btw. I think it's kind of interesting. Just not hard to see why some folks are bucking at it).
I totally agree with this. From all of the previews we've seen and knowing the people who've been working on this there has been a ton of work going into the design of AoA, and there's just a lot of content there that I believe will be high quality. HoweverI think there's a lot of justifiable concern that the strategy for rolling it out isn't great.

All the aesthetic changes while marketing one big $250 box and expecting people to remember all the great things about HeroScape when the game's been out of print for over a decade seems like a poor combination. That's also a lot to spend for any new gamers who aren't familiar with the game. It would be great to see some gameplay videos and some more discussion of what the unit abilities are. They did this a little bit with the hellforge but I think the powers give that cool factor that can draw folks in.

I don't want to overreact early, but I can't help but think of what it would have looked like if the offering had a $1.5M target (slightly higher than the OG Heroquest one), a basic tier of two factions plus basic terrain (no TJ/ruins) at $100, the current vanguard tier offering at $250, and shifting 10% of the units into stretch goals so the end point of $4M for full unlock was the same.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion