Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old July 20th, 2009, 01:09 PM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!
Beckham gets booed, thoughts?

I know there's quite a few soccer (aka football) fans on here.

So, I just heard on the news this morning that David Beckham returned to the LA Galaxy after the loan to AC Milan. When he returned the fans booed him, and greeted him with nasty signs, calling him a fraud, etc.

In terms of the fans it is horrible sportsmanship. But, what are your thoughts on this?

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old July 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Beckham gets booed, thoughts?

I, honestly, counld not care less. I think that professional sports has way too high of a priority in our culture.
Old July 20th, 2009, 01:18 PM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think the fans feel betrayed. Just think if Josh Becket wanted to play for Japan in the World Baseball Classic (Caveat being the WBC is a huge world renowned and respected event like world cup soccer) in the middle of the regular season when teams are fighting for a chance at the playoffs. I'd be a bit ticked.

How much has Beckham been bought for? $250 million or so? To my knowledge he has been injury prone and not very effective. All he does is sell Jerseys at this point but I am probably wrong.
Old July 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
I, honestly, counld not care less. I think that professional sports has way too high of a priority in our culture.
Have you considered the positive effect sports has on our economy?
Old July 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Jandar View Post
I think the fans feel betrayed. Just think if Josh Becket wanted to play for Japan in the World Baseball Classic (Caveat being the WBC is a huge world renowned and respected event like world cup soccer) in the middle of the regular season when teams are fighting for a chance at the playoffs. I'd be a bit ticked.

How much has Beckham been bought for? $250 million or so? To my knowledge he has been injury prone and not very effective. All he does is sell Jerseys at this point but I am probably wrong.
When it was first announced that he would be playing in the US, I remember a ton of people who were all, "Oh my God this is amazing. Soccer will be popular again because of it.". I wasn't too impressed and/or didn't really care. I was never a Manchester United fan, and honestly, I didn't think he would cause that much of a stir at all.

But, the fact that between his injury, and the fact he left mid-season wasn't cool. I just don't think it was his fault per say, how much of a pull did his agent have in the matter? I just think the fans were pretty harsh to him, that's all.

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:19 PM

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombo101 View Post
Quote:

When it was first announced that he would be playing in the US, I remember a ton of people who were all, "Oh my God this is amazing. Soccer will be popular again because of it.". I wasn't too impressed and/or didn't really care. I was never a Manchester United fan, and honestly, I didn't think he would cause that much of a stir at all.

But, the fact that between his injury, and the fact he left mid-season wasn't cool. I just don't think it was his fault per say, how much of a pull did his agent have in the matter? I just think the fans were pretty harsh to him, that's all.
See, I think the fans have a right to act the way they do. Their ticket revevue helps pay for players like him so when they embarrass their team or skip out on them mid season the fans should have the right to let 'em have it. That's just my opinion though.
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:58 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

I would probably boo Brett Favre if he came back to Green Bay.

But I don't really watch sports that much (My family does, I don't), but Favre was getting on my nerves with all his drama.
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post

But I don't really watch sports that much (My family does, I don't), but Favre was getting on my nerves with all his drama.
Yeah, and people were getting on Terrel Owens . How did Brett transgress from a tough and well respected QB to the biggest drama queen this side of Chad Johnson?
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Taking Suggestions...

Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post

Yeah, and people were getting on Terrel Owens . How did Brett transgress from a tough and well respected QB to the biggest drama queen this side of Chad Johnson?
Because the media (see: ESPN) smells a story, and they're making it into a big deal, when it's really not that great. I mean, honestly? What are they reporting? "We talked to Favre's doctor. He said the surgery went well." Yeah, that's worth the time to talk about.

Ty the Awasome is the S.A.S. Commando, Maj. Thompson
...in the LIBRARY...
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Welcome to America, David!
-Scotty hoping that he was referring to the right LA.

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker Bobofdeath's Dad knows what's in an order marker

I was told most of his $250 million contract is from endorsements and not directly from the MLS.

The worse part of this current situation is that Beckham responded in kind to some of the fans. As he was going to the locker room at half time he made an obscene gesture and started to climb into the stands before he was restrained. That type of reaction is just begging for more fans to antagonize him.

As far as the "on loan" thing, soccer is the only sport that I know of that does this type of thing. It must have been Ok'd by the Galaxy management. I would be interested to know how much money they got from the Italian club for his use. Not sure why the fans are so mad at him rather than the Galaxy management.

Ultimately I'm still dreaming of the day that the world's best soccer players want to play in the US in their prime.

My greatest Heroscape mistake: Thinking that Heroscape was a $40 $400 game!
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

I agree with Bobofdeath's dad. The fans should be mad at the club, not the player. They agreed to a loan deal for monetary reasons. They could have declined to loan him, and he would have shown up to training camp and played. Beckham has never tried to force his way out. He expressed an interest to play in Europe to be in form to represent his country in World Cup qualifiers, and the Galaxy saw a chance to make some money allowing him to do so.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General