Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old March 28th, 2017, 12:37 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
-sees Keglo's post-
-squees loudly-
Finally!

I'm in the middle of Pride and Prejudice. If I didn't have to read it inside of 2 weeks, I'm sure I'd be enjoying it more. As it is, I can still appreciate Jane Austen's style of humor.
I read Northanger Abbey for school before break and liked it a lot for the same reasons you mentioned. Not enough to want to read Pride and Prejudice or any other Jane Austen though. It seems like most of her books have similar plots and themes, so reading one feels like enough to me for now at least.

I just finished Infinite Jest today, which is definitely the most difficult book I have ever read. It's long for sure but also very dense: you are required to pay attention to every single word. It's really rewarding to see the things you read about in single sentences hundreds of pages ago come back but I don't know if it was worth the time I put into it. I will need more time to decide, the ending is very complicated and I'm still trying to understand what happened.

Not sure what I will read next, probably something short.
Old March 31st, 2017, 12:05 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
I'm in the middle of Pride and Prejudice. If I didn't have to read it inside of 2 weeks, I'm sure I'd be enjoying it more. As it is, I can still appreciate Jane Austen's style of humor.
That's a great book. I've probably read it six times, it never gets old. Enjoy.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 4th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Just finished The Chinaman by Stephen Leather(soon to be released as the decidedly more PC titled movie The Foreigner). I spent some time in Ireland and Northern Ireland right around when it was originally published, and I think it does a really good job of capturing the essence of what the IRA is about. A good portion of the point of view characters are players in that group, and I think it encapsulates the political conflict that is lazily characterized as a religious conflict just the way the man on the street would. I enjoyed the story quite a bit. It wasn't great, but it was very good. If the movie does it any justice, it should be a good show.
Old September 5th, 2017, 01:23 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

I thought I would post this for anyone here who might be reading Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series. Book 3, Oathbringer, is scheduled for release in November, but TOR is graciously letting us read several chapters before it arrives. They are going to give us 32 chapters!

Every Tuesday they will release three new chapters. They already have the Prologue through chapter 6 posted. Some of you may not want to read it this way but I for one couldn't wait. I am thoroughly enjoying it. You can read it here.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; September 5th, 2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old September 5th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

32 chapters?! That's like 10% of the book.
Old September 5th, 2017, 03:50 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
32 chapters?! That's like 10% of the book.
Hehe. Yep.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old September 5th, 2017, 04:17 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Woah. 300+ chapters?

Does not sound like an easy tome to tote around.
Old October 28th, 2017, 11:55 PM

CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker

Well this place is still slow...Cryin' shame.

Since reading Ready Player One over half a year ago, I have since read Thrawn, The Foundation Trilogy, and many Batman comics. (and probably more but I can't remember)

Thrawn: Oh glorious, simply glorious. I love Timothy Zahn's style and way of describing everything in a simple yet detailed fashion. And Thrawn is my favorite Star Wars character ever, and this was just....awesome.

The Foundation Trilogy: Well, definitely worth it. It is a grand overarching story put together in brilliant fashion by arguably the best author ever to exist. I don't think I ever didn't enjoy any of it. Asimov's vocabulary is so refreshingly large and he uses it very well.

Batman Comics: Legends of the Dark Knight 1-20, 1-5 (Shaman) is my least favorite Batman comic I've ever read, it wasn't bad, but I found it kinda boring. 6-10 (Gothic) is a really intriguiging read and definitely worth it, It has an interesting supernatural yet real feel to it. 11-15 (Prey) Is definitely the darkest one I've read, really enjoyable. 16-20 (Venom) Was pretty good, I see why so many people like it, but it felt kinda weird to me, not the story itself but the places where it was set.
The Man Who Laughs. The origin's of the Joker's life as a criminal mastermind, good stuff.
Made of Wood A cool Green Lantern Alan Scott team-up. Not much to get out of it, but fun nonetheless.
The Long Halloween Woah.... Just a plain good Batman story.

And right now I am reading through a collection of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

-------------------------
Join our HeroScape discord! https://discord.gg/DXRaqvn
Talk about everything heroscape, or just hang out!
Old November 5th, 2017, 03:03 PM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm trying to slog through Dan Brown's Origin. Might move along to Red Sister by Mark Lawrence.
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:08 PM

LeiaBlaze Woo who?

I plan on getting into Ian M. Banks's Culture novels soon; they seem right up my alley.
Old November 15th, 2017, 12:57 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Beren and Luthien by J. R. R. Tolkien, released over 40 years after his death a couple months ago (compiled from 1000s of pages of manuscripts from his son Chris at age 93). Greatest story (according to JRRT) in first age of middle earth. Already read Silmarillion, Lost Tales of Middle Earth Vol I & II, and Children of Hurin, so I already know the story, but nice to see story fleshed out in long form. I really wish someone made a TV show on the first age of middle earth. Enough writings for at least 12 hour and a half episodes, could be stretched to 3 seasons of a great show.
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:20 PM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Rising Tide, about the great Mississippi Flood of 1927.

I'm also reading Brown Girl Dreaming, a memoir written in verse by a black girl growing up in my home state of SC. It's good, but not as good as the reviews led me to believe. Sometimes I think they see something written in verse and just assume it's good.

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books