Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old March 9th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

June 2nd. Thanks.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 11th, 2016, 04:34 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

The Road To The Rim by A. Bertram Chandler, which is the first book of the John Grimes series, which went to about 27 books/collections, of which I own 26. Having just researched this on wikipedia, I am glad to know I have almost all of them, and finally for the first time the "chronological order" they take place in, which is different from their published order.

This is one of MANY old SciFi works that the film industry has yet to discover, but maybe that's a good thing. The British and later Australian author was a merchant seaman (as was an English grand uncle of mine), who knew the sea going background to chronicle the adventures of "The Horatio Hornblower of Space."

Australians may be also particularly interested in his alternate history novel (and perhaps his finest work) Kelly Country. Wherein the real life outlaw Ned Kelly leads The Land Down Under to an early independence!
Old March 11th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
June 2nd. Thanks.
Stop the presses, we've got early photos of his progeny!

Old March 11th, 2016, 06:34 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Just finished The Will To Climb, by Ed Viesturs about his struggle to climb Annapurna, the last of the 8000+ meter mountains he had to climb to achieve his goal. He was I think the 12th to do it, and only the 6th to do it without bottled oxygen. I've been reading a few books about mountaineering, and I think this is my favorite so far. He reflected on success and fulfillment at a few places throughout, and talked about a lot of mountaineering history surrounding Annapurna.
Old March 12th, 2016, 08:37 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood: The True Story Of What Went Wrong with Disney's John Carter and why Edgar Rice Burroughs' Original Superhero Isn't Dead Yet by Michael D. Sellers

(Nuff Said, but I've recently mentioned it on several threads)

The World of Vikings by Justin Pollard The author is the historical consultant for the TV series, and talks about how they interpret and reenact the world of the Norsemen, with lots of photos. Picked up at a fine exhibit on Vikings at the NYC Discovery Center (44th St. bet. 7-8 Aves in Manhattan). The book covers the first theree seasons; the show has just started its 4th Season on The History Channel.

Embattled Rebel: Jefferson Davis and the Confederate Civil War

and

Tried By War: Abraham Lincoln As Commander In Chief

both by James McPherson.

The noted Civil War historian on the heads of their respective governments and their interaction with their generals during that conflict. Very, very good, and excellent companion volumes.
Old April 15th, 2016, 05:47 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I finished off A Song of Ice and Fire this week, and I also finally finished Dune. ASOIAF is definitely my favorite book series yet. I thoroughly enjoyed Dune, and I can appreciate just how much of an influence it was on the Science Fiction genre.

Now I am on to giving a couple of different books a shot, The Eye of the World being the first book of The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, and The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun
Old April 30th, 2016, 05:21 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
I finished off A Song of Ice and Fire this week, and I also finally finished Dune. ASOIAF is definitely my favorite book series yet. I thoroughly enjoyed Dune, and I can appreciate just how much of an influence it was on the Science Fiction genre.

Now I am on to giving a couple of different books a shot, The Eye of the World being the first book of The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, and The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.
Other than Dune, all the books you mentioned are among my very favorites. I am a long time ASoIaF fan and for a long time it was probably my favorite series too. But I think that Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archives series (The Way of Kings) might be my new favorite. The Wheel of Time is way up there too. Dune is the only one you mentioned that I have not read.
I am currently reading The Crippled God by Stephen Erikson. The last book in The Malazan Book of the Fallen series. (another of my favorites)

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old May 1st, 2016, 09:13 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

The only problem with Stormlight Archive is that Sanderson insists on writing in other series as well instead of just working on that series. It is going to take way too long for that series to finish.
Old May 1st, 2016, 09:37 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
The only problem with Stormlight Archive is that Sanderson insists on writing in other series as well instead of just working on that series. It is going to take way too long for that series to finish.
I agree. I think that he is actually working on at least three different series simultaneously. The Stormlight Archive, The Reckoners, and his continuation of the Mistborn series. It’s too much. Who knows when book three will finally see the light of day.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old May 8th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Quest Quitter

Just finished How Music Got Free. I really enjoyed it. It talks about the development and rise of the mp3 format, and how things like Napster and peer to peer file sharing did (and did not) harm the recording industry (and how it imploded because it didn't embrace technology). I was vaguely aware of some of this happening at the time, but never to this level of detail. Really entertaining read.
Old May 9th, 2016, 04:40 AM

JohnM is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I really enjoy thrillers by Tess Gerritsen. At the moment I'm reading 'Die Again', it's GOOD!
Old June 4th, 2016, 08:36 PM

The Complete Chronicles of Conan by Robert E. Howard. Published recently on the centenary of the author's death, these original pulp adventures breath with passion and life. Having seen the movies, read some comics, and now playing the Age of Conan board game expansion, I wanted to finally read the original stories! Its amazing that in only 25 pages Howard could create terrific tales such as the famous Queen of the Black Coast. This inexpensive hardback volume includes his own map and background of his world, and a bio narrating his own publishing history and tragic life tale.

Last edited by chas; June 5th, 2016 at 10:50 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books